No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
3 votes (33.33%)
5 votes (55.55%)

9 members have voted

November 9th, 2016 at 4:02:29 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I don't want this to be a 2020 thread one day after, but a good discussion is where does the Democrat Party go from here?

Saw this in two places, a linked article on msn and last night when Carville was talking. The Democrats are one of the thinnest benches in memory at the moment. A Potemkin Village with Obama as the frontage but behind that, some real problems.

They are back to controlling nothing in DC. Their leaders in Congress are all well aged. Nancy Pelosi is too old and way too far left to have mass appeal. Chuck Schumar is competent but he is a back-room policy guy more than inspiring. Republicans are now up to 31 governors and have similar dominance in state houses. IOW, not only are their numbers lower but they are tilted towards age not youth.

While it is unlikely Hillary stays around and tries again, I would not put it past her. Warren, however, captures more imagination of left leaning folks. Her and Bernie could form the new base of operations, pulling the party way left. I doubt anything comes from the near-center. Center does not inspire, and Obama has empowered the far left. But who knows.
The President is a fink.
November 9th, 2016 at 5:31:28 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
They are back to controlling nothing in DC.

Tt's happens when you have an
idealistic narcissist in the WH for
8 years. When Obama speaks for
any length of time, he's uses the
word 'I' hundreds of times.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 9th, 2016 at 5:59:17 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Warren is a bit of a nut job. I don't see her inspiring the party. Perhaps one of the 50 national security leaders who signed the open letter opposing Donald Trump's Presidency back in August can jump ship from the GOP and organize some opposition. It will be interesting to see which Republican denouncers come to the Oval Office with their hats in their hands and which get kicked to the curb.
November 9th, 2016 at 6:07:41 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
I don't want this to be a 2020 thread one day after, but a good discussion is where does the Democrat Party go from here?

Saw this in two places, a linked article on msn and last night when Carville was talking. The Democrats are one of the thinnest benches in memory at the moment. A Potemkin Village with Obama as the frontage but behind that, some real problems.

They are back to controlling nothing in DC. Their leaders in Congress are all well aged. Nancy Pelosi is too old and way too far left to have mass appeal. Chuck Schumar is competent but he is a back-room policy guy more than inspiring. Republicans are now up to 31 governors and have similar dominance in state houses. IOW, not only are their numbers lower but they are tilted towards age not youth.

While it is unlikely Hillary stays around and tries again, I would not put it past her. Warren, however, captures more imagination of left leaning folks. Her and Bernie could form the new base of operations, pulling the party way left. I doubt anything comes from the near-center. Center does not inspire, and Obama has empowered the far left. But who knows.

Trump will occupy towards the center, fiscally, but with his own populist style. Remains to be seen where he falls on the social side... he has a track record for speaking like a social liberal, but his recent work is much less so.

That's my guess right now. The one piece of good news is the US did avoid 4 years of corporatism. I think they did. I really hope you did. If Trump turns out to be Clinton in an different mask, I am even more sorry than I am right now.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 9th, 2016 at 6:29:35 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: TheCesspit
That's my guess right now. The one piece of good news is the US did avoid 4 years of corporatism.

If they can't buy Trump they will just give more to Congress.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 9th, 2016 at 6:49:57 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: rxwine
If they can't buy Trump they will just give more to Congress.

Corporatism is more than big business buying lobbies and senators. It's the close alignment of business, the unions, the politcal classes and the wealthy. Mussolini was a corporatist. It's a tenet often of 3rd way politics, and doesn't have to involve nationalism, but has done

The Oligopoly situations in Obamacare and State healthcare is also a corporatism dream.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 9th, 2016 at 6:55:04 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Why would Trump be above that? He's there to make deals.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 9th, 2016 at 7:31:38 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: rxwine
Why would Trump be above that? He's there to make deals.

Maybe so, maybe so. I just don't think he's in with that crowd. At this time.
November 10th, 2016 at 2:22:13 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Ayecarumba
Warren is a bit of a nut job. I don't see her inspiring the party. Perhaps one of the 50 national security leaders who signed the open letter opposing Donald Trump's Presidency back in August can jump ship from the GOP and organize some opposition. It will be interesting to see which Republican denouncers come to the Oval Office with their hats in their hands and which get kicked to the curb.

She inspires a segment of voters. Many wanted her not Hillary. I agree she is a total nut job, and her ability to wheel and deal seems close to zero. But she does have the ability to get press coverage. Pols like coverage. So good chance she gets a little clique going.
The President is a fink.
November 10th, 2016 at 5:08:21 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Move left in the spirit of Bernie. Hopefully Bernie will give it another shot in 2020.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
Page 1 of 61234>Last »