No votes (0%)
3 votes (33.33%)
5 votes (55.55%)

9 members have voted

November 11th, 2016 at 11:31:37 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: stinkingliberal
But it's inevitable, and it won't be the disaster that the Old White Bigot Party says it will be.

I wish it were inevitable. It's not.

Or, rather, it's inevitable in a free country where there's rule of law. Otherwise there are a lot of options to avoid it. There's a Latin proverb to the effect that the law is silent during war time. But the law can fall silent with enough popular support to shut it up, too.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 11th, 2016 at 12:13:21 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
The Democratic party will be ascendant well before 2020 simply by not being Republicans. You KNOW that the Republicans will attempt to solidify their power by making it impossible for them to ever lose control again--their voter suppression efforts and gerrymandering were the first stage of that effort. But like any successful conquerors, they will pause from raping and pillaging to start squabbling among themselves. Trump isn't exactly a unifying force, and his utter lack of ability to be President will manifest itself very quickly. He thinks that a President is like the CEO of a company and can rule by decree. He's in for a rude surprise.

Also, there's a really good possibility that he may be hit by lawsuits and/or charges of criminal fraud. He also won't be able to blithely lie any more--everything he says and does will be under intense scrutiny. I quite frankly think that he's not quite the racist douchebag that he affects to be and a lot of his abrasiveness has been a calculated persona (couldn't have worked better). He's a jerk, certainly, but he's not what even his loyal followers think he is. But one thing he can't tolerate is disagreement or criticism--and hoo boy, is he about to get a lot of that. He also can't break the tweet habit--he just complained that the nationwide protests against his election are "very unfair" and that the protestors are "professionals." If he feels compelled to react to every little thing that way, well...

So the best strategy for the Democrats is to sit back and watch the Republican party implode. They've now got the chance to show the nation exactly what their vision of absolute control of the government will look like. Then, when that goes completely to hell, some new Democratic face or faces will surface, and people will grasp at him/her like a drowning man does a life preserver. The key fact is that the majority of the nation wants the things that Republicans have been trying so very, very hard to stifle. That lid can't be clamped on forever. When Republican policies are implemented and start really hurting people (which is what they're designed to do), then you'll see a wave of protest that won't die out. The horror of a Trump presidency will galvanize the nation, and the mean-spiritedness of the Old White Guy party will be off-putting to the point where they'll start to fade out.

And in the long run, the Old White Guys will die off and be replaced by young liberals and (gasp!) nonwhites. That will actually have started to happen by the next election cycle. Republicans are the party of the past, aside from being the party of hatred, bigotry, and discrimination. And those are ideas that while still strong in America, are gradually fading into irrelevance.

in·tol·er·ance

/ˌinˈtäl(ə)rəns/

noun

noun: intolerance; plural noun: intolerances

unwillingness to accept views, beliefs, or behavior that differ from one's own

Does the definition intolerance possibly fit anyone that has trouble accepting Trump for who he is Stinky. Your president has different views than you so that gives you the license to hate. hmmm I thought we had moved past that.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
November 11th, 2016 at 12:20:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

I'll do your imagining for you, though. That old white folks, particularly men, are slowly losing power in this country.

Where have you been, you're like a gift
after the election. I love the bitterness,
the childish whining of the losers. It
makes me writhe in schadenfreude
glory. Keep posting and spewing your
nonsense, there's a good lad.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 11th, 2016 at 12:25:06 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Quote: kenarman

Does the definition intolerance possibly fit anyone that has trouble accepting Trump for who he is Stinky. Your president has different views than you so that gives you the license to hate. hmmm I thought we had moved past that.

I wonder if Trumpers have ANY argumentative tactics in their arsenal other than false equivalence?

But yes, if someone's views include racism, bigotry, and sexism, I refuse to accept those views as legitimate. I further refuse to accept that a President should be espousing those views. That does NOT mean--and here's where your silly false equivalence argument fails miserably--that I don't "accept Trump for who he is." I do. He's an evil, nasty man--as are those who follow and worship him. I certainly accept that.

Do I hate what he is and what he represents? Absolutely. I hate racism, sexism, and bigotry, and those who practice and preach those things. It isn't a matter of "my President" having different views than I. It's that he opposes common decency. The different views that I in fact welcome do not include institutionalized hatred.

Tell me, if someone opposed genocide or the mass imprisonment of a religious or cultural group, would you say that that person was being "intolerant"?
November 11th, 2016 at 12:28:48 PM permalink
Evenbob

Do I hate what he is and what he represents? Absolutely.

I first fell in love with Hillary when
she falsely accused the travel office
with crimes and fired all of them so
she could return political favors and
fill the vacancies with her cronies.
Such a lovely person. I needn't go
on, it only gets better from there.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 11th, 2016 at 12:29:23 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Quote: Evenbob
Where have you been, you're like a gift
after the election. I love the bitterness,
the childish whining of the losers. It
makes me writhe in schadenfreude
glory. Keep posting and spewing your
nonsense, there's a good lad.

The facts often hurt. Old white bigots will die out. That prospect may cause you pain, but it's reality.

What's really sad is that you don't realize that Trumpers are far more the "losers" than anyone else is. I retain my ethics and common decency regardless of the result of the election. Trumpers, by contrast, have sold their souls to a carnival barker.
November 11th, 2016 at 12:41:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
The facts often hurt.

Here's a fact. Huma was seen on the street
today bawling like a baby that they lost.
It's almost as good for me as when they
made your heroine give back or pay
for all the stuff she stole from the White
House when her and Bill left. They still
owe $80K to the gov't, good luck getting it.
Shadenfreude for everyone..
November 11th, 2016 at 12:47:01 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14

I retain my ethics and common decency regardless of the result of the election. Trumpers, by contrast, have sold their souls to a carnival barker.

This is the problem with the liberals such as you. You are worse than the religious right in claiming the high moral ground since you have "common decency" and anybody that disagrees with you obviously hasn't. What is your rationalization for the tens of millions of blacks, Hispanics, Moslems and other minorities that voted for Trump? These aren't the old white men that will die off.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
November 11th, 2016 at 1:09:02 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
This is the problem with the liberals such as you. You are worse than the religious right in claiming the high moral ground since you have "common decency" and anybody that disagrees with you obviously hasn't.

Come now, you're being disingenuous. Someone who tars a whole group of people as rapists, drug dealers and murderers on racial grounds alone isn't just someone who has a difference of opinion. Nor does someone who brags about sexually abusing other people.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 11th, 2016 at 1:12:52 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
This is the problem with the liberals such as you. You are worse than the religious right in claiming the high moral ground since you have "common decency" and anybody that disagrees with you obviously hasn't. What is your rationalization for the tens of millions of blacks, Hispanics, Moslems and other minorities that voted for Trump? These aren't the old white men that will die off.

It's "Muslims."

I don't need to rationalize anyone else's choices. I'm sure that SOME Jews voted for Hitler in 1933. As to how I would EXPLAIN it, that's simple--they were deluded. They were sold a bill of goods. They were PLAYED--as was every Trumper--yourself included, if you voted for him.

Far more blacks, Hispanics, and "Moslems" voted for Clinton than for Trump. Those folks that you mention didn't add up to "tens of millions." Tens of millions of them voted for Clinton, though.

And yes, I will reiterate, because it's the simple truth, that anyone who supports a horrible bigoted, racist, misogynist man such as Trump lacks common decency. I'm not claiming any kind of moral high ground any more than someone who says they oppose rape or murder would be. As a society, we've accepted "all men are created equal" as a basic truth. That I support and believe in that truth doesn't mean I'm claiming the moral high ground. I know that Trumpers have repudiated that truth. That's a simple fact. They do NOT believe in the "values of our Founding Fathers," as that horse's ass Ryan put it. They believe in hate--a strong enough force to put them into power.

You've been played.
Page 3 of 6<123456>