General science thread

January 2nd, 2018 at 7:08:02 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Worth looking into nuclear electromagnetic pulses now that North Korea has threatened one?

I didn't realize a couple of things,

*counter intuitive: that the proper way to have the biggest impact is to explode it way the hell up there

*just didnt know: one bomb can have such a wide effect

I had seen catastrophic predictions before, such as millions simply starving from the breakdown it would cause.

below from the wikipedia article, showing range etc:

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 2nd, 2018 at 1:14:33 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Defense contractors hire "good" scientists, so do tobacco companies.
January 2nd, 2018 at 1:26:58 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit
Worth looking into nuclear electromagnetic pulses now that North Korea has threatened one?

I didn't realize a couple of things,

*counter intuitive: that the proper way to have the biggest impact is to explode it way the hell up there

*just didnt know: one bomb can have such a wide effect

I had seen catastrophic predictions before, such as millions simply starving from the breakdown it would cause.

below from the wikipedia article, showing range etc:

When hurricane Irma hit, I already got a taste of having a worthless debit card when multiple systems are down and no one takes electronic transfers for anything. Wonder how big an impact that would have a for how long?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 2nd, 2018 at 1:47:36 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Even the old fashioned low tech method of dropping "chaff" on power lines to short out every line with sticky conductors was effective in the Middle East. Repairing a substation is easy compared to wiping down miles of transmission lines.

I remember one woman in Florida who was fleeing a hurricane and adopted just a few rules: Stay off the freeways, never pass up a place that sells Diesel or has an ATM. It was a constant mission to top off the tanks and turn plastic into cash.
January 2nd, 2018 at 9:46:36 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
He says the world has never seen a wealth class like the one he will be part of, one that isn't split into a hundred pieces when you die.
Because they'll live so long their wealth will be staggering.

January 2nd, 2018 at 11:52:13 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin

I just saw this very thing in action. A wealthy
woman I know died and her estate was
split among the kids. The one who got the
most just died also and that's being split
among her kids. What was just 3 years ago
a 15 mil dollar fortune, is just a little better
lifestyle to those who inherited it. The 15 mil
was split so many ways that it's no longer
of any consequence.

One reason Rockefeller was worth so much
when he died is he lived to 98. If billionaires
can live to 150, they can amass a staggering
fortune before it's split up.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 3rd, 2018 at 12:20:13 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Fleastiff
Repairing a substation is easy compared to wiping down miles of transmission lines.
Maybe, if you have a spare power transformer in your hip pocket of the right voltage. They don't stock those at Lowe's.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 3rd, 2018 at 4:49:13 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: petroglyph
Maybe, if you have a spare power transformer in your hip pocket of the right voltage. They don't stock those at Lowe's.
Right but you can go to Lowes and order it ONCE. With all those miles of transmission lines you have to wipe them clean and each time someone tries it the wind redeposits it on another segment of the lines nearby.
January 3rd, 2018 at 7:52:23 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Fleastiff
Right but you can go to Lowes and order it ONCE. With all those miles of transmission lines you have to wipe them clean and each time someone tries it the wind redeposits it on another segment of the lines nearby.

You only need to place the order once but delivery could be up to a year depending on high the voltage is. Pole top transformers are typically common and a dime a dozen. Sub station transformers can sometimes be a one off that nobody has built for a decade or more.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
January 3rd, 2018 at 8:39:06 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Yes. That is a situation that is haunting the German Navy that right now can not have ANY of its submarines put out to sea because there simply is no "supply chain" for dozens of specialized parts. Elon Musk may have worked wonders with that Big Old Battery in Australia that is working wonders with dealing with wind farm abberations and grid fluctuations but I expect he could not replace it overnight.