General science thread

May 24th, 2018 at 10:40:14 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote:

Researchers performed a 28-day experiment where they allowed a group of mice to use their front legs but restricted them from being able to use their hind legs. The mice ate, groomed, and displayed normal behavior without any signs of exhibited stress. After 28 days, the researchers studied the brains of the animals, particularly the sub-ventricular zone where neurons are produced by neural stem cells.

When compared to a control group of mice who were unrestricted and allowed to roam, the number of neural stem cells decreased by 70 percent in the mice that had restricted physical activity. Researchers also noted both neurons and oligodendrocytes (specialized neural cells) were unable to fully mature when physical activity was reduced.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wellness/why-leg-exercise-is-vital-for-a-healthy-brain/ar-AAxJZJN?ocid=spartanntp
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 24th, 2018 at 11:25:36 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Total physical activity was limited by limiting the more major muscles.
They should try forcing compensatory physical exercise... move forelegs more or drown.
June 9th, 2018 at 2:22:31 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote:
Left-handed people haven't always been treated well throughout history. They've been persecuted for their disposition, being been labeled as evil — or even as witches — despite making up about 10% of the population. In fact, the word "sinister" comes from "left" or "left hand."

Quote:
The researchers found that while the fetus is growing in the womb, up until about 15 weeks, the motor cortex and the spinal cord are not yet connected, but right- or left-handedness has already been determined.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wellness/scientists-think-they-have-found-the-reason-some-people-are-left-handed-—-and-it-has-nothing-to-do-with-the-brain/ar-AAyd3fx?ocid=spartanntp
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 9th, 2018 at 3:10:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
Left-handed people haven't always been treated well throughout history. They've been persecuted for their disposition, being been labeled as evil — or even as witches — despite making up about 10% of the population. In fact, the word "sinister" comes from "left" or "left hand."

Something else to blame religion for.

In many religions, including Christianity, the right hand of God is the favored hand. For example, Jesus sits at God's right side. God's left hand, however, is the hand of judgement. The Archangel Gabriel is sometimes called "God's left hand", sits at God's left side, and is one of six angels of death. Those who fall from favor with God are sent to left, as described in Matthew 25: 32–33, in which sheep represent the righteous and goats represent the fallen: "And he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats. And he shall set the sheep on his right, but the goats on his left." In 19th-century Europe, homosexuals were referred to as "left-handed".[9] In Protestant-majority parts of the United Kingdom, Catholics were called "left-footers", and vice versa in Catholic-majority parts of Ireland and Irish America.[10] Black magic is sometimes referred to as the "left-hand path", which is strongly associated with Satanism.

This all goes back to the nomads, who
ate with the right hand and wiped their
arses with the left. So if you were born
left handed, you were of course cursed
by Satan.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 10th, 2018 at 8:38:25 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
This all goes back to the nomads, who
ate with the right hand and wiped their
arses with the left. So if you were born
left handed, you were of course cursed
by Satan.

Why didn't the left-handed nomads eat with their left hands and wipe with the right?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 10th, 2018 at 11:45:10 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Wizard
Why didn't the left-handed nomads eat with their left hands and wipe with the right?

I don't think it 'all goes back to the nomads' for the right and left handed thing, but as far as it goes, the idea is in the desert you often don't have enough water - you have to conserve it for drinking. So it became a social thing that, without having to ask, you knew a person's right hand was reasonably clean and to be polite you can't be seen eating, especially, with your left hand.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 10th, 2018 at 3:05:11 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard

Personally, I have always questioned that idea. Eating with your fingers does not require a lot of coordination, so it seems to me that even left handed people could easily eat with their right hand.

I mean, I could easily scoop rice out of a bowl with my left hand.
June 10th, 2018 at 3:27:07 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
Personally, I have always questioned that idea.

It became a custom, you never ever
ate with your left hand. It just wasn't
done, and eventually turned into
everything the right hand and left
hand means in the Bible. Right
hand good, godly. Left hand bad,
of the devil. Born left handed, better
change it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 12th, 2018 at 12:02:28 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
interesting you tube unedited footage of Guatemala volcano including pyroclastic flow . This pyro flow has done most of the killing some say, 69 at least. On the link I have the footage start shows where people were watching a pyro flow unaware that it could climb up from the valley and shoot over them. I gather we are seeing some lucky people escape where not far away others were killed. Forget lava flow, it is this pyroclastic flow moving so fast that has the highest potential for danger, it can be as hot as the lava, look it up.

https://youtu.be/4SEBuHOfoRk?t=135
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 12th, 2018 at 2:13:00 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Forget the temperature; its like wet cement. If you or your vehicle get caught in it, its all over. Doesn't matter if the tires melt or not, they ain't goin' anywhere.