General science thread

June 8th, 2020 at 7:12:01 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: petroglyph
The first thing I think when I see poor teeth is, it is an obvious sign of low money.

Anyone, especially in the summer can don a set of clean new clothes and shave. But missing teeth takes time an money to solve.

I've spent a fortune in my mouth over the years, then radiation blew them back out. Now I'm screwed.

Sorry Petro if I hit a little too close to home with a flippant post. Like Gandler I am curious but none of my business.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 8th, 2020 at 7:32:00 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
The first thing I think when I see poor teeth is, it is an obvious sign of low money.

Anyone, especially in the summer can don a set of clean new clothes and shave. But missing teeth takes time an money to solve.

I've spent a fortune in my mouth over the years, then radiation blew them back out. Now I'm screwed.

If it is a younger person the first thing I think is Meth.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
June 8th, 2020 at 7:32:36 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Gandler
Can you elaborate? (if not I understand I am just curious, if its a sensitive subject I don't want to push).

Radiation treatment? Or radiation poisoning?
I had radiation treatments for throat cancer. After radiation they tell you not to have dental work without undergoing Hyperbaric oxygen treatments, which amounts to laying in a tube for 2 1/2 hours x 30, split up before and after dental work. People get necrotic jaw from radiation . The treatments ruins the blood flow in the areas radiated, so if they pull a tooth or the like, that hole in the jaw just won't heal. Then the rest of the jaw dies and they end up making a new one from part of the hip.

I had several fillings over my life, and the treatments seem to interact with the old fillings, causing them to shrink. Then in between the filling oxidizes, then the tooth breaks off, fillings come out and so on. The doc calls radiation, "the gift that keeps on giving".

Things may have just changed, but dentists have only been doing emergency treatments lately .
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 8th, 2020 at 7:36:45 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: kenarman
Sorry Petro if I hit a little too close to home with a flippant post. Like Gandler I am curious but none of my business.
No problem, I think the same thing.

If it weren't for the HBO treatments, I'd probably already went to Mexico and spent another fortune.

My brother says now I can just wear a mask. : )
June 8th, 2020 at 7:40:40 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: DRich
If it is a younger person the first thing I think is Meth.
Yeah, you're right. Being inside lately I'd forgotten about meth mouth.
June 8th, 2020 at 7:42:39 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I had radiation treatments for throat cancer. After radiation they tell you not to have dental work without undergoing Hyperbaric oxygen treatments, which amounts to laying in a tube for 2 1/2 hours x 30, split up before and after dental work. People get necrotic jaw from radiation . The treatments ruins the blood flow in the areas radiated, so if they pull a tooth or the like, that hole in the jaw just won't heal. Then the rest of the jaw dies and they end up making a new one from part of the hip.

I had several fillings over my life, and the treatments seem to interact with the old fillings, causing them to shrink. Then in between the filling oxidizes, then the tooth breaks off, fillings come out and so on. The doc calls radiation, "the gift that keeps on giving".

Things may have just changed, but dentists have only been doing emergency treatments lately .

Wow
I had no idea of these side effects
I hope you beat that cancer
Stay Healthy Petro, you are a real asset on this site.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 8th, 2020 at 8:25:53 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

Do you have any good teeth a dental bridge can be attached to?

Also wondering about jaw exercise creating alternate circulation.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 8th, 2020 at 9:15:23 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: rxwine
Do you have any good teeth a dental bridge can be attached to?

Also wondering about jaw exercise creating alternate circulation.
I went to speech therapy, and they load a person up with all kinds of therapy. Swallow exercises and so forth. I do a lot of them. They look silly, but they work. Physical therapy has always been the best help of all.
June 10th, 2020 at 5:57:51 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
At the moment, people who need new livers often have to wait a long time for a donor organ to become available. Scientists have tried engineering livers in the lab, but have found it too difficult to recreate their intricate blood vessel networks.

Lei Dong at Nanjing University in China and his colleagues wondered if, instead, they could transform an organ like the spleen – one that we can survive without and that already has ready-made blood vessels – into a working liver.

To do this, they injected the spleens of live mice with a biological substance to make them larger and stiffer and better able to support the growth of new tissue. Next, they transplanted liver cells into the remodelled spleens to see if the cells would integrate with the existing blood vessels and develop into liver tissue.

Over the next eight weeks, the liver cells successfully grew in the spleens and developed into liver-like organs, complete with bile ducts and other liver structures. The converted organs were also able to perform essential liver functions such as drug metabolism.

Read more: https://www.newscientist.com/article/2245733-turning-the-spleen-into-a-liver-saves-mice-from-fatal-organ-damage/#ixzz6P0vDNOa3
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 28th, 2020 at 12:23:16 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
After watching this and marveling, I
can't help but think about where we
were tech wise in 1920. That's a
year still remembered by the oldest
living people. If we've advanced
this far in just 100 years, where
will we be 100 years from now.

I have to assume things will just
get smaller and faster and be able
to hold unbelievable amounts of
data. That machines will be trained
to do almost anything. That holographic
devices will be almost lifelike and
the virtual experience will be addictive.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.