General science thread

September 9th, 2022 at 12:25:54 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Not too much longer.

Quote:
The Double Asteroid Redirect Test spacecraft, otherwise known as DART, will be used as a battering ram to crash into an asteroid not far from Earth on Sept. 26. The mission is an international collaboration to protect the globe from future asteroid impacts.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 9th, 2022 at 12:53:00 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Will Bruce Willis be on board?
September 9th, 2022 at 2:12:27 PM permalink
rxwine
He's on standby.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 19th, 2022 at 5:13:29 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
Scientists have discovered extra-terrestrial water in a meteorite for the first time. The meteorite was discovered after it crashed into a driveway in the Gloucestershire town of Winchcombe last February.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/extra-terrestrial-water-was-discovered-in-a-meteorite-for-the-first-time-ever/ar-AA120PbE?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=6cff9a8d8a7b466180d2f796d5486c14
September 29th, 2022 at 8:35:39 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
crashing the probe into the asteroid recently made it 'brighten' by causing a dust cloud, reflecting more light

evidently the degree to which this happened was a bit of a surprise ... wait for it

from https://www.space.com/dart-asteroid-impact-didymos-brighten-observations
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 3rd, 2022 at 3:13:07 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I was always told that dogs don't see color at all, but live in a visual world similar to black and white TV. That may have been all that was known back in the day, but at least now we know that is not exactly correct. What is still correct, I think, is that smell is as important as vision to a dog. The article says they are near-sighted but pick up motion well. And our superiority in vision such as it is only applies in the daytime, dogs see much better at night than we do .

from https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/do-dogs-see-color
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 5th, 2022 at 8:52:52 AM permalink
rxwine
Evidence you should eat more early and in a 10 hour period?

Quote:
Eating relatively early may be beneficial for weight loss, and keeping meals within a 10-hour period could improve blood sugar and cholesterol levels, according to two small studies published Tuesday in the journal Cell Metabolism.

The first study found that eating on a later schedule made people hungrier over a 24-hour period than when they consumed the same meals earlier in the day. Late eating also led the study participants to burn calories at a slower rate, and their fat tissue seemed to store more calories on a later eating schedule than an early one. Overall, the study suggests that eating later can increase a person's obesity risk.

The second study, done among a group of firefighters, found that consuming meals within a 10-hour window shrunk "bad cholesterol" particles — suggesting a potential reduction in risk factors for heart disease. That eating window also improved blood pressure and blood sugar levels among firefighters with underlying health conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol.

The two studies add to existing evidence that there may be optimal times to start and stop eating, according to Courtney Peterson, an associate professor of nutrition sciences at the University of Alabama at Birmingham who wasn’t involved in either study.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/weightloss/new-research-points-to-health-benefits-of-eating-earlier-in-the-day-and-within-a-10-hour-window/ar-AA12BE2e?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=1e7a2c66af5b416fbdb95756b677bff6
October 16th, 2022 at 8:59:51 AM permalink
rxwine
Use a flying drone to make 3d objects.

October 22nd, 2022 at 10:07:26 AM permalink
rxwine
Researchers at Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh have constructed an AI-powered robot trained to kill pesky cockroaches with a deadly laser.

While the engineers behind the machine say that their invention could be used to target a variety of unwanted bugs, they believe roaches are the ideal test subject.
"If you can kill them," Ildar Rakhmatulin, the project's lead, told New Scientist, "you can kill any pests."

Here's how it works. The device, which is comprised of a tiny computer, two cameras, and a 1,600 milliwatt laser, uses "machine vision" to hunt its prey.
While trials thus far have been promising — the device can only barely keep up with the roaches— the researchers say there's some room for improvement. Next steps, they told New Scientist, are training the robot to hit the insects' specific body parts, specifically their abdomens, in order to ensure their defeat. Better safe than sorry.

It can cause eye injuries, so it’s not exactly completely safe.
October 22nd, 2022 at 3:20:09 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: rxwine

It can cause eye injuries, so it’s not exactly completely safe.

Blind cockroaches are okay with me.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.