General science thread

October 19th, 2017 at 6:43:10 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Possibly even big colonies, like a million people.
October 26th, 2017 at 1:15:38 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
What if it was Rama I: https://www.universetoday.com/137621/first-interstellar-comet-discovered/

:)

Alas, to paraphrase Arthur C. Clarke (the author of the original Rama novel) regarding UFOs: even if the license plate reads "ALPHA CENTAURI," if it doens't stop, what's the point?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 27th, 2017 at 5:54:30 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Have the Kuiper Belt and Oort Cloud been proven to exist?
November 30th, 2017 at 1:47:36 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
After a heart attack, the damaged parts of the heart tissue die and do not regenerate. Instead, the heart develops scar tissue that cannot transport electrical signals - essential for proper beats - like a healthy heart does. With scar tissue, a person typically suffers from heart failure and other deadly complications.

Biomedical engineers at Duke University developed a "heart patch" to cover and repair heart tissue damaged by heart attacks that's just as strong and active as real tissue.

However, not out of the testing stage.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/scientists-create-patch-to-repair-damage-caused-by-heart-attacks/ar-BBFYG6M?ocid=spartanntp
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 30th, 2017 at 2:07:21 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
One of the FB billionaires, the Napster one,
was bragging the other week that he'll live
to 160 because he's rich enough to take
advantages of the medical tech that will
happen in the next 50 years. He says the
world has never seen a wealth class like
the one he will be part of, one that isn't
split into a hundred pieces when you die.
Because they'll live so long their wealth
will be staggering.

I wonder if he's ever heard of accidental
death, apparently not.. lol
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 2nd, 2017 at 10:58:29 AM permalink
rxwine
NASA fired up thrusters on Voyager for the first time n 37 years to adjust its antenna, so it will have a couple more useful years transmitting.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 2nd, 2017 at 3:04:12 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Russian satellite launch ruined as final booster ignited when rocket was aimed in wrong direction. It seems someone programmed it to take off from a different site than the one that was actually used.
December 16th, 2017 at 8:13:29 PM permalink
rxwine
Kinda like science

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/glowing-auras-and-‘black-money’-the-pentagon’s-mysterious-ufo-program/ar-BBGOIOQ?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

So, what if UFO's aren't actually here but under certain conditions there is some sort of visual representation from some other part of the Universe.

Perhaps they see a similar thing where they are. A sort of mirage of our aircraft appears in their sky, and we get a similar one here.
December 17th, 2017 at 3:48:50 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
one of the things that bug me about keeping up with UFOs is that you run into intriguing stories like this over the years that seem to really have something to them, then you notice after a few years you don't hear the stories anymore, like they have been debunked and you don't get to know about that.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 18th, 2017 at 10:10:24 AM permalink
rxwine
Pilot relates experience from recently released video.

Quote:
Retired Cmdr. David Fravor spent 18 years as a Navy pilot, but nothing prepared him for what he witnessed during a routine training mission on Nov. 14, 2004.

"I'm not crazy, haven't been drinking. It was — after 18 years of flying, I've seen pretty much about everything that I can see in that realm, and this was nothing close."

He recalled flying his F/A-18 fighter on a training mission on a beautiful Southern California day 13 years ago when things started to get strange.
Controllers on one of the Navy ships on the water below reported objects that were dropping out of the sky from 80,000 feet and going "straight back up," Fravor said.

"So we're thinking, OK, this is going to be interesting," he said.

As they were looking around for the object that appeared on the radar, another aviator spotted something. "I was like, 'Dude, do you see that?'" Fravor recalled saying.

“We look down, we see a white disturbance in the water, like something's under the surface, and the waves are breaking over, but we see next to it, and it's flying around, and it's this little white Tic Tac, and it's moving around — left, right, forward, back, just random," he said.
The object didn't display the rotor wash typical of a helicopter or jet wash from a plane, he said.
The planes flew lower to investigate the object, which started to mirror their movements before disappearing, Fravor said. "As we start to cut across, it rapidly accelerates, climbs past our altitude and disappears," Fravor recalled.

"When it started to near us, as we started to descend towards it coming up, it was flying in the elongated way, so it's [like] a Tic Tac, with the roundish end going in the forward direction ... I don't know what it is. I don't know what I saw. I just know it was really impressive, really fast, and I would like to fly it," he said.
The disturbance in the water also vanished with object, he remembered.
"So we turned around — we couldn't have been more than about a couple miles away — and there's no white water at all in the ocean," Fravor said. "It's just blue."
At that point, they decided to return to complete the training exercise when they were told the object or something similar reappeared.
"And the controller comes up and says, 'Sir, you're not going to believe this. That thing is at your half point,' which is our hold point," Fravor added. "And I'm like, 'Oh, great.'"
Another plane that launched from the aircraft carrier USS Nimitz around the same time had its radar jammed and was able to pick up the object on an infrared channel.

"He gets close enough to see a couple of objects come out of the bottom, and then all of a sudden it takes off and goes right off the side of the screen and, like, takes off," Fravor said.
He recalled that the speed of the object, which he said had no exhaust trail in infrared scanning, was stunning.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/navy-pilot-recalls-encounter-ufo-unlike/story?id=51856514