Was Clinton hurt by no shows?

Page 1 of 81234>Last »
November 12th, 2016 at 7:37:51 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I know that final numbers are not in yet, but using preliminary numbers I count four critical states that Clinton lost to Trump where the total number of voters went down. If Hillary had earned the same number of votes as Obama did in 2012 she would have beaten Trump.

There are indications that some voters simply didn't show up to the polls for this election.

Hillary re. Trump | Hillary re. Obama Trump re. Romney
-148,143 -171,764 Iowa 68,306
-84,526 -136,858 Arizona -260,754
-27,506 -237,059 Wisconsin 3,466
-13,107 -299,762 Michigan 162,658

The number of people who did not vote Democrat or Republican dropped nationwide by over 5%. Many states with the largest drops did not change party, but the lack of enthusiasm was very high on the West Coast. Perhaps not totally surprising as this election was determined in the North Central region with Iowa the westernmost of the 6 states that changed from Democrat to Republican.

-5.6% U.S. Total

-39.8% Utah
-33.4% California
-32.9% Washington
-22.2% Alaska
-17.6% Arizona
-12.2% Colorado
-10.5% Mississippi
-10.1% Maryland
-9.9% Rhode Island
-7.7% Wisconsin (Democrat to Republican)
-7.5% Hawaii
-7.2% New Mexico
-7.1% Ohio (Democrat to Republican)
-6.7% Iowa (Democrat to Republican)
-6.4% Vermont
-6.3% Minnesota
-5.8% D.C.
-5.5% Kansas
-5.1% Connecticut
-4.8% Idaho
-4.6% Montana
-4.1% Wyoming
-3.9% Virginia
-3.5% New Jersey
-3.0% South Dakota
-2.9% Michigan (Democrat to Republican)
-2.8% New York
-2.4% Missouri
-2.4% Nebraska (at-large)
-1.9% Massachusetts
-1.4% Tennessee
-1.4% Oregon
-1.3% Maine (at-large)
-1.3% Alabama
-1.1% North Dakota
-1.0% Illinois
-0.7% New Hampshire
-0.2% Louisiana
-0.2% Indiana
0.7% Pennsylvania (Democrat to Republican)
1.2% North Carolina
1.8% Arkansas
2.1% Georgia
2.5% Oklahoma
2.7% West Virginia
3.1% Delaware
3.1% South Carolina
3.7% Kentucky
5.4% Nevada
8.3% Florida (Democrat to Republican)
8.5% Texas
November 12th, 2016 at 10:26:38 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Besides the "no shows", Hillary Clinton only got a higher percentage than Obama in a couple of states. (like Utah,Texas,Arizona, and Georgia which she lost anyway and California and Massachusetts which she won anyway).

She had a lower percentage than Obama in all six states that rolled over to Republican

Florida -2.22%
Pennsylvania -4.37%
Wisconsin -5.89%
Michigan -6.88%
Ohio -7.16%
Iowa -10.28%

She may have lost a historic opportunity by risking the lawsuits and naming Obama her VP candidate. He wanted to stay in DC for the next few years anyway, and he is renting a home very near the VP mansion. He could have made it a campaign promise that he would resign as VP after one year.
November 12th, 2016 at 11:13:58 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
What I'm hearing is Hillary lost a significant
number of votes to Dems not showing up
out of apathy, and other Dems switching
to Trump.

In MI, where I live, they won't call it for Trump
till the end of the month. They are canvasing
all the polls and that takes time. Trump has
an insurmountable lead of 13K votes, what
they're doing is a waste of time. They don't
want trump to claim a mandate with over 300
electoral votes but he will, it's only a matter
of time.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 12th, 2016 at 11:59:36 AM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Quote: Evenbob
What I'm hearing is Hillary lost a significant
number of votes to Dems not showing up
out of apathy, and other Dems switching
to Trump.

In MI, where I live, they won't call it for Trump
till the end of the month. They are canvasing
all the polls and that takes time. Trump has
an insurmountable lead of 13K votes, what
they're doing is a waste of time. They don't
want trump to claim a mandate with over 300
electoral votes but he will, it's only a matter
of time.

I can see how Trumpers would object to an accurate counting of the votes. We just might uncover evidence of the election rigging that the wise Donald repeatedly warned us about.

Trump can never say he has a mandate, since he lost the popular vote. The Electoral College sabotaged another election, just like in 2000. Trump benefited from his supporters being spread out thinly while Clinton's were concentrated. You could take her winning margins in California and New York and apply them to the redneck flyover states (like MI) and she would have won over 300 electoral votes. It's an asinine system, but it'll never be fixed while Republicans are in control, because they benefit from it.

The worst aspect of the Electoral College is that beyond a certain point, your vote is meaningless. If your state is already going heavily one way or the other, it doesn't matter what you do. My vote had less impact than EvenBob's (and what a horrible thought THAT is!) because he lives in a swing state and I don't.
November 12th, 2016 at 12:03:28 PM permalink
Pacomartin
What I'm hearing is Hillary lost a significant number of votes to Dems not showing up out of apathy, and other Dems switching to Trump.

What they said in PA where voting remained just as strong as it did in 2012, that Democrats did as well or better in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. They lost the vote in the smaller former industrial cities like Scranton, Wilkes Barre, York, Johnston and Allentown where the voters seemed to cast out of misery more than party lines.

If not across the board, in a couple of key states (Iowa ,Arizona,Wisconsin and Michigan) it looks like Republican vote remained as strong as ever, but Democrats simply didn't vote. I do know people who voted and simply skipped over the Presidential vote. They couldn't bring themselves to vote Libertarian, but they simply couldn't choose Clinton or Trump.

The five of six states that changed from 2012 to 2016 (Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania) are large percentages of "white, non-latino population" with industrial based economies. The citizens are probably tired of being told that they are America's past and not it's future.

Florida was a bit of a surprise, but it reminds of when I met a Las Vegas city manager who'se district included center city. I basically asked him how a chubby white middle aged man could represent such a district. I was sort of expecting him to say that politicians don't have to look like the people they represent. But he just looked at me and said that the minorities simply don't vote in high enough percentages.
November 12th, 2016 at 12:07:44 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: stinkingliberal

Trump can never say he has a mandate.

Whatever you say:

What Donald Trump Will Do With His Mandate (Time Magazine)

"The truth is that President-elect Trump was handed a considerable mandate from a vast swath of America on Tuesday."

http://time.com/4564256/donald-trump-mandate/

Paul Ryan Declares a Mandate for Donald Trump

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/paul-ryan-declares-mandate-donald-trump
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 12th, 2016 at 12:09:16 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Whatever you say

Well, if Paul Ryan said it, it must be true.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
November 12th, 2016 at 12:19:38 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Clinton was hurt by Clinton. Uber and Lyft offered free trips to teh polls, each party had vans in areas they thought were vital, ... massage the numbers all you want... those who failed to show up at the polls were not the cause of anything. Long lines are often the cause of those who do show up often at a time to create long lines to discourage opposition voting.
November 12th, 2016 at 12:26:56 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Quote: Fleastiff
Clinton was hurt by Clinton. Uber and Lyft offered free trips to teh polls, each party had vans in areas they thought were vital, ... massage the numbers all you want... those who failed to show up at the polls were not the cause of anything. Long lines are often the cause of those who do show up often at a time to create long lines to discourage opposition voting.

Republican efforts to disenfranchise voters and in general, suppress voting were devastatingly effective, especially in the redneck flyover states. You have to hand it to them. Their efforts to subvert democracy were wildly successful.

We have to acknowledge the triumph of evil here, and it shows that evil can quite often outsmart good. This country was just raped by the Republicans. Republicans are dancing in the streets and waving their tweets around. What we decent people have to do is acknowledge the defeat and plan on reversing it. In the meantime, we have to fight a rear-guard action. Humanity WILL prevail.
November 12th, 2016 at 12:28:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: stinkingliberal
Well, if Paul Ryan said it, it must be true.

Time Mag is hardly conservative and they
say it. I can post 20 other links that say it
as well. My point is, you just spew nonsense,
I'm almost ready to block you, I don't have
time for empty headed comments.
Page 1 of 81234>Last »