Was Clinton hurt by no shows?

Page 4 of 8<1234567>Last »
November 14th, 2016 at 8:07:37 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: AZDuffman
That is not what is meant by a "ground game." The rallies were about "energy."

My prediction that Trump's lack of a sophisticated ground game would hurt him turned out to be wrong. I'll eat my crow.

However, let me make a couple points:

1) Regarding "energy". I agree that Clinton voters weren't very energized. Lots of liberals voted for her reluctantly, mostly motivated by their spite for Trump. (She might have been better off picking a VP candidate other than boring Tim Kaine to energize the base, but it's a moot point.) Romney got 60,934,407 votes. Bush got 62,039,572 votes. Trump? Trump got just 60,609,576 votes. In other words, Romney beat Trump by 324,831 votes and I would hardly describe Romney's base as "energized."

Hillary beat Trump by a healthy 727,104 votes, so even with an enormous lack of "energy" among Hillary voters, Trump lost the popular vote.

Wisconsin turned out to be a big bad surprise for Hillary, and yet she only lost it by 0.27 percent: 13,107 Wisconsinites were more "energized" by Trump.

2) There's a theory going around that Hillary's sophisticated get out the vote (GOTV) effort backfired. The most likely predictor of voting behavior isn't race, class, age, gender, zip code... it's party registration. So if Hillary's team works night & day to get Democrats to the polls, she'll win, right? Usually. But in rural areas, there was Trump support among registered Democrats. So when Hillary's team reminded them to vote, they were doing Trump's work for him.

Quote: Huffington Post
Clinton volunteers were inadvertently turning out Trump voters. Possibly in significant numbers.

Volunteers for the Clinton campaign in Pennsylvania, Ohio and North Carolina have reported that when reminding people to vote, they encountered a significant number of Trump voters. Anecdotal evidence points to anywhere from five to 25 percent of contacts were inadvertently targeted to Trump supporters.

This is a big deal because when voters are engaged by a volunteer they are significantly more likely to cast a ballot in an election. To make matters worse, because Republicans had a non-existent ground game in many areas this cycle, this powerful reminder from a Clinton volunteer to get out and vote might have been the only personalized GOTV communication these Trump voters received.

The campaign's text messaging GOTV effort may have been the worst offender. Volunteers reported as many as 30% of the replies they received from voters they were urging to get out were Trump supporters.
November 14th, 2016 at 8:34:10 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Evenbob
It wasn't my idea, I've read it in 6 different
places. It's wild thoughts by people in
wild hysteria, just like when Reagan won.
The world was going to end then too,
a mad man had the nuke launch codes.

Why go to 6 kooks on the internet?
The world is going to end???????????
You can read that here from AZ, its his over and over again mantra here on numerous posts
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 14th, 2016 at 11:27:10 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Rush had a very good analogy on his show
today. All these people whining about
Hillary winning the popular vote need to
look at the 1960 World Series. Yankees vs
Pirates. When all the runs were added up
after 7 games, it was Yankees 55 and Pirates
27. But, the Pirates won the series even though
they had half as many runs. They won the
games they needed to win, that's why they
won.

Trump won the states he needed to win, it's
as simple as that. And now they're saying as
many as 3 mil illegals voted for Hillary, so
Trump won the popular vote after all.

'Three million votes in the U.S. presidential election were cast by illegal aliens, according to Greg Phillips of the VoteFraud.org organization. If true, this would mean that Donald Trump still won the contest despite widespread vote fraud and almost certainly won the popular vote. "We have verified more than three million votes cast by non-citizens." tweeted Phillips after reporting that the group had completed an analysis of a database of 180 million voter registrations.'
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 14th, 2016 at 11:34:17 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: Evenbob
Rush had a very good analogy on his show
today. All these people whining about
Hillary winning the popular vote need to
look at the 1960 World Series. Yankees vs
Pirates. When all the runs were added up
after 7 games, it was Yankees 55 and Pirates
27. But, the Pirates won the series even though
they had half as many runs. They won the
games they needed to win, that's why they
won.
'

Rush is stupid
Comparing runs scored in the World Series to votes in a presidential election is absurd
no comparison, its dumb
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 14th, 2016 at 11:34:45 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Don't be so sure. Trump probably did pretty well among illegals. The illegals love Trump.
November 14th, 2016 at 11:38:02 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: terapined
Rush is stupid
Comparing runs scored in the World Series to votes in a presidential election is absurd
no comparison, its dumb
If the popular vote mattered Trump would have gone after it and would have an even more impressive mandate. He would win by five million. Get on the Trump train or get left at the station! Choo Choo!
November 14th, 2016 at 11:56:18 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: pew
If the popular vote mattered Trump would have gone after it and would have an even more impressive mandate.!

Impossible if more then 1/2 the voters are against Trump
That's why he lost the vote but won the EC
No mandate with less then 1/2 the vote
November 14th, 2016 at 12:24:20 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I love this video of The Young Turks in
a meltdown on election night. I remember
them form the defunct Air America
debacle. All they've done for the last
18 months is call Trump every name in
the book and laugh and giggle about
how Hillary will bury him on election
night. I've watched this and the longer
version half a dozen times, it never
gets old. They were so smug and so
superior acting for so long, to see them
get educated is priceless.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 14th, 2016 at 12:35:29 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: terapined
Impossible if more then 1/2 the voters are against Trump, That's why he lost the vote but won the EC

This is the 5th time in 58 elections where the winner lost the popular vote. The first was the most extreme and charges of a corrupt bargain were ubiquitous.

year winner - percent of electoral college - percent of popular - difference from primary opponent
1824 John Quincy Adams 32.18% 30.92% -10.44%
1876 Rutherford Hayes 50.14% 47.92% -3.00%
1888 Benjamin Harrison 58.10% 47.80% -.83%
2000 George W. Bush 50.37% 47.87% -.51%
2016 Donald Trump 56.87% TBD -TBD

The 1824 election was the only one where no candidate had a majority of EC votes, so it was decided in the House of Representatives.
November 14th, 2016 at 1:24:28 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: Pacomartin
1888 Benjamin Harrison 58.10% 47.80% -.83%

Amazing that Harrison could simultaneously get fewer votes and still win the electoral college by 58.1%. That's an extremely lopsided result.

Reagan won 58.77% of the popular vote and took home 97.6% of the electoral college, which shows how wildly mismatched the numbers can occasionally get. Never in my lifetime will another candidate win 97.6% of the electoral college; the partisan media echo chambers (Fox News viewers vs. MSNBC viewers) keep us walled off in our cocoons.
Page 4 of 8<1234567>Last »