Ways to stop the Republicans

Page 1 of 81234>Last »
November 12th, 2016 at 2:09:18 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
It's shockingly evident that the Republicans have no respect for this country's laws, ethics, or traditions. They have been engaged in an active and apparently successful campaign to turn the country red. This has been done by aggressive gerrymandering, voter suppression, and recently, their uniting behind a charismatic monster.

It's not Trump we have to worry about, though; he will quickly disintegrate. What should concern us is one-party rule. The Republicans have said--making no bones about it--that they would rather destroy the Supreme Court than see it anything other than arch-conservative. Republican leaders have said that their top priority is to tear apart everything that Obama achieved in the last eight years. The extent to which Trump will go along with all that remains to be seen, but it's unlikely he'll fight them.

The reason that Republicans have been fighting so hard to dominate the House and Senate is that the minority party is essentially powerless as long as the majority party votes as a unified bloc. They will probably eventually have Trump's Brown Shirts march into the Senate chamber and drag the Democrats off to the labor camps, but until then, they can just shout them down.

You might say that fine, we can watch them do their damage, then we can vote them (and Trump) out of office. But who's to say that we will be allowed to vote? They thought that they would be able to in Russia in 1917, Germany in 1933, and Egypt in 2010. But the ruling party loved its newfound power and didn't want to risk relinquishing it.

So I think the only recourse we have left is popular resistance. There's talk of a million-woman march on Washington on Inauguration Day. I think we need methods like that. We MUST engage in civil disobedience; we cannot see our democracy vanish quietly into the night. The Republicans are power-mad and evil, and will crush our freedoms if we do nothing. All that is necessary for evil to triumph...

If you're an old white guy, you probably applaud the advent of the New Order. But if you're a woman; if you're black or Latino; if you're gay; if you're transgender; if you're young; if you're educated; if you're smart; if you are a decent person; if you have compassion for others; if you believe in an inclusive society, you have to regard the oncoming events with horror. What will you do to resist?

(And Old White Bigot Trumpers, you can add nothing to this discussion by screaming that Trump is actually the Messiah and besides, Hillary sent emails, but go ahead and babble if you wish.)
November 12th, 2016 at 2:38:48 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
You sound just like a right wing nutjob.
November 12th, 2016 at 2:41:35 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: stinkingliberal
If you're an old white guy, you probably applaud the advent of the New Order. But if you're a woman; if you're black or Latino; if you're gay; if you're transgender; if you're young; if you're educated; if you're smart; if you are a decent person; if you have compassion for others; if you believe in an inclusive society, you have to regard the oncoming events with horror. What will you do to resist?

I find a lot upsetting about Trump, but you are not looking at a Nazi takeover. It's probably the last hurrah for the aging industrial heartland of America that doesn't want to be left behind.

I think the Democrats would have won if they had someone with more charm. I half think if Hillary had run with Joseph Biden she might have won.

But all in all, there is a very powerful desire in this country to change parties after two terms. It works both ways.
November 12th, 2016 at 3:02:07 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Is this what I look like when I go on my tirades, those who bother to read them? Honest question. I might need that answer

"Stop the republicans" lol. Just wait. They'll be bounced of their own accord in just a few years.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 12th, 2016 at 3:28:50 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin

But all in all, there is a very powerful desire in this country to change parties after two terms.

Trump will do two terms, they have nobody
to run against him in 2020. Pocahaontas
Warren? Laughable. Trump might be a very
popular president in his first term, and it
will carry him into a second. Getting the
mandate he has will give him a wide berth.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 12th, 2016 at 3:46:45 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob

Watch for a governing pattern. Bombast, followed by negotiations, followed by him getting most of what he wants. When the bombast starts the liberals will go nuts, making him look reasonable. A lot will come down to congress working with an outsider. The GOP wanted to lose, they didn't. Will they make the best of a non-club member.

Cameras were there when Trump met GOP leaders.....

The President is a fink.
November 12th, 2016 at 3:59:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
A lot will come down to congress working with an outsider.
]

Trump owes nothing to any special
interest groups, he has nobody
pulling his strings. He might be
easier to work with than Clinton,
Bush or Obama ever were.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 12th, 2016 at 4:28:52 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Trump owes nothing to any special
interest groups, he has nobody
pulling his strings. He might be
easier to work with than Clinton,
Bush or Obama ever were.

What I am hoping is he gets us some better deals. Cancel the Iran deal and start over. Trump knows you have to be willing to walk away. I've seen how right he is the last month or two with borrowers. Several times I have been forced to say "NO" for one reason or another, but mainly I am just passing the "NO" along. They caved in almost every case.

We can lock Iran out of the world financial system almost at will. We have the upper hand. The only reason we should get a bad deal is when a pol wants any deal instead of no deal. Hopefully no more of that the next 8 years.
The President is a fink.
November 12th, 2016 at 5:10:41 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17

He has no mandate, no matter how often you bleat that he has, and he's going to be the most unpopular President in history. I'm more concerned with mitigating the damage that the Republicans will do even after he self-destructs. Pence, for example, would not be any real improvement.
November 12th, 2016 at 5:49:08 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: stinkingliberal
He has no mandate, no matter how often you bleat that he has, and he's going to be the most unpopular President in history. I'm more concerned with mitigating the damage that the Republicans will do even after he self-destructs. Pence, for example, would not be any real improvement.

Right, Joe. Just like liberals said he would never get the nomination. And just like they said he would never win the general. Just like they said he was running just so Hillary could win, that he was trying to lose.
The President is a fink.
Page 1 of 81234>Last »