1 vote (11.11%)
2 votes (22.22%)
3 votes (33.33%)

9 members have voted

November 13th, 2016 at 8:06:33 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Help me understand something. A lot of the Trump protesters carry signs or they chant, "He's not my president." I recall bumper stickers saying the same thing referring to George W Bush after the 2000 election. My question is to these people -- "who is your president?" I could carry it further by asking if Trump signs a new law will you obey it? What determines who your president is?

What is so hard to understand about a chain of command? Nobody agrees with those above them in it or their decisions all the time but the structure itself is necessary for law and order.

Can anybody elaborate on what those people mean who chant "He's not my president?" If Trump isn't, who is?

The question for the poll is who is will be your president come inauguration? Multiple votes allowed.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 13th, 2016 at 8:25:01 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Hey, I gots so riled up in the mudslinging, I ain't come down from the high yet... still in the Mosh Pit instead of listening to the music and grooving with the naked girls. You see, for some voters the Mosh Pit is more fun that naked girls. Its known as universal suffrage.

I'll wait for dem bumberstickers.... what President was it who earned the Don't Blame Me sticker that depicted the one state that he had not carried in the election, Taxachusetts?

Structure itself if needed for law and order? Man you ought to see and hear dem Anarchists when they go to sea... "sail changers on deck" and dey is up and at their stations, properly dressed, properly doing their tasks on command. Orders given, acknowledged and obeyed. They are still committed to an Anarchy lifestyle but a small boat thats not overly seaworthy and a big storm at night .... and you find them to be the best sailors ever. Lesbian anarchists obeying the orders of a male and doing it instantly. Not their usual lifestyle but when there is no time for debate or reflection, its time for action.
November 13th, 2016 at 8:32:45 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
It's a rhetorical thing, they really mean they
didn't vote for him so in their hearts he
isn't their president. They know under the
law he is, or they're morons.

My son is a major in the AF. He says military
law is very strict, the president is his boss,
and you cannot speak against him even
if you voted for somebody else, even if
you feel he's not 'your' president. If you
have an opinion, while enlisted, you keep
it to yourself.

The public can speak, but it changes nothing.
You can always live somewhere else if you
don't like who we elect.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 14th, 2016 at 5:25:31 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Just sore losers. That's all.
November 14th, 2016 at 5:32:58 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I'm one of the biggest anti-Trump people around (duh), and even I roll my eyes at the "Not my President" people. Just as I rolled my eyes at my right-wing uncle when I heard him say the same thing about Obama shortly after he was elected in 2008.

My view is: can't we just wait until he's President and actually does something stupid to complain and protest? Why waste the energy now?? Obama's still President. I'm not wasting my time whining about Donald until I have to.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
November 14th, 2016 at 6:43:08 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
Help me understand something.

1) You fail to recall the same things among conservatives in 2008. In fact, what the Democrats are saying now and the way Republicans react is exactly the same, with roles reversed, as what happened in 2008.

2) You'll find life a whole lot less puzzling if you stop taking every statement to be literal. For example, when someone says "holly shit!" they're not referring to petrified Jesus turds. kept as relics at the church of the sacred cloaca.

3) It means "This person from the other party does not represent me."

Quote:
What is so hard to understand about a chain of command?

Plenty. For starters, what chain of command? There's no general civilian chain of command. The military has to obey the president, civilians do not. Neither do other politicians, not even of the president's own party. In the military disrespecting a superior officer is an offense. In the civil sphere, you can call any president a "walking pile of garbage in human shape," and no law in the land can touch you.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 14th, 2016 at 7:27:38 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I agree with Nareed, you are just taking the literal interpretation of it.

I believe what they are saying is that the new president is not aligned with and does not represent their ideals.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 14th, 2016 at 7:49:51 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: DRich
I agree with Nareed, you are just taking the literal interpretation of it.

I believe what they are saying is that the new president is not aligned with and does not represent their ideals.

And I forgot to add: "he's not entitled to any of my support."
November 14th, 2016 at 8:13:41 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: ams288
My view is: can't we just wait until he's President and actually does something stupid to complain and protest?

Because there is a transition period where the Orange Man will appoint his staff and announce candidates to various cabinet posts. and he's already given a high position to a prominent member of the alt right movement.

If that's not worthy of protest, nothing is.

Protests also serve to rouse opposition, demonstrate support for the party not in power, etc.
November 14th, 2016 at 8:24:45 AM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
If the tv cameras did not show up. how long would these protests last ?
Page 1 of 41234>