1 vote (11.11%)
2 votes (22.22%)
3 votes (33.33%)

9 members have voted

November 20th, 2016 at 5:15:10 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Quote: Nareed
If minimum wage goes to $15 and hour, and it includes people who prepare food, tend the counter, and serving staff, I'm done with tipping.

Which is the way it should be of course. I think the tipping culture is so ingrained that it becomes impossible to do away with it to any meaningful level.
November 20th, 2016 at 5:33:51 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
In places with a built in VAT for sit down service, do they charge it if someone calls in a to go order?
November 20th, 2016 at 6:56:08 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: DRich
I usually tip a small amount to the waitress because I assume the waitress took your order and then boxed it up and brought it to me. I would guess $2 to $5 depending on the order. I definitely don't use a specific %.

If I go into an Olive Garden for to-go order simply because it's the nearest to my hotel, it's the hostess taking my order, and I sit there in the foyer to wait. Or maybe go to the bar. I don't think I'm taking up any waitress time. So what if I do? I'm not tipping her for that unless I ask for extra ranch or something and make her go back to the kitchen. I get that to-go orders take extra styrofoam containers, salt/pepper, plastic utensils, napkins and what-not, but none of that is tip-worthy.
November 21st, 2016 at 11:45:13 AM permalink
miplet
Threads: 8
Quote: AZDuffman
So, do you tip at McDonald's? If not, why not?
Quote: Wizard
Because they don't have a tip jar, like they do at Starbucks.

We're not even allowed to accept tips. But if someone keeps insisting that $1 or $5 (yes, from some really drunk customer) is going in my pocket.
"...remind me of clue: Colonel Mustard in the billiard room with the candlestick."- Derek Morgan
November 21st, 2016 at 12:35:12 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: miplet
We're not even allowed to accept tips. But if someone keeps insisting that $1 or $5 (yes, from some really drunk customer) is going in my pocket.

Type of job?

I used to work in a liquor store way back in the day. We sold lottery tickets. If we had enough cash, we would pay off lottery winners. Once in a while I would get a tip from a winner.

Takeout places seem to charge 2 different ways
Mcdonalds take out , you just swipe the card, nothing to sign
Dominoes take out, has a space for a tip and have to sign the paper
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 21st, 2016 at 2:40:26 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: terapined
...Dominoes take out, has a space for a tip and have to sign the paper

Dominoes' service model is built around delivery people bringing orders to customer's homes and getting tipped. The debit/credit terminals are purpose built around this model. There is a Papa John's near my house that only has one chair at a single small table. Everyone else who walks in to place a carryout order has to stand.
November 22nd, 2016 at 3:33:49 PM permalink
miplet
Threads: 8
Quote: terapined
Type of job?
Overnight shift manger at McDonald's.
"...remind me of clue: Colonel Mustard in the billiard room with the candlestick."- Derek Morgan
Page 2 of 2<12