No votes (0%)
1 vote (11.11%)
1 vote (11.11%)

9 members have voted

November 23rd, 2016 at 2:13:57 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Aussie
Indeed. Which makes me think it may be a little more difficult than simply having a vote and away we go.

Of course it would, but that does not mean it could not happen. The USSR had extreme occupations of their various states yet they pulled apart.

Quote: TheCesspit
Wouldn't San Diego be a sticking point, for the Pacific Fleet?

Sure would, but a lease could easily be signed, like the Philippine Islands.
The President is a fink.
November 23rd, 2016 at 6:30:17 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
If California seceded, lots of states that went to the Orange Man would suddenly discover the virtues of free trade.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 23rd, 2016 at 8:53:42 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Aussie
Are states even legally allowed to leave? My opinion would be that they should be able to leave if they want but at the end of the day opinions don't matter unless there is a legal basis for them. What is the consitutinal position on secession?

Quote: TheCesspit
Wasn't there a war ALL about that in 1861?

There is actually a detailed discussion in this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secession_in_the_United_States

Many people feel that the civil war made the question of secession moot forever.
November 23rd, 2016 at 9:14:09 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Pacomartin
There is actually a detailed discussion in this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secession_in_the_United_States

Many people feel that the civil war made the question of secession moot forever.

I pretty much thought that was what the war was about (Slavery was the reason for secession, but secession was what was fought over). Of course, if a State did cede and the Federal US didn't stop it, it wouldn't matter about it. There's just no legal means, but it's not necessarily a legal process anyways.

After all, the eleven colonies did successfully cede from Great Britain via force of arms, while Canada did it through force of will. Canada was a part of the UK effectively from 1600's til 1867, when Confederation happened, and really was not completely independent until about 1982 legally. That's 200 years as an effective part of the UK. Texas only joined the US in 1840's. California in 1850's. 200 years... 2050. Nothing is permanent. :)

Y'all should have had an Article 50 put into the Uniting of the States.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 23rd, 2016 at 12:01:55 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
It will never happen. Paco is right. The Civil War demonstrated that the Union, even with disparate parts, is better than secession. Besides, Northern California, and Southern California are so different, the legislature would never get it act together to make a move.
November 23rd, 2016 at 12:22:36 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Ayecarumba
It will never happen. Paco is right. The Civil War demonstrated that the Union, even with disparate parts, is better than secession. Besides, Northern California, and Southern California are so different, the legislature would never get it act together to make a move.

Never say never. Too many examples of nations quickly splitting to rule it out. CA is probably the most disliked state in the union. Right national mood against it and who knows?

One other thing is without it the Democrats would lose most all national power. But they would then run their own nation. Pragmatic deal to be had.
The President is a fink.
November 23rd, 2016 at 12:38:48 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23

History shows that a 100 years is a long time....
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 23rd, 2016 at 1:33:46 PM permalink
Nareed
It will never happen.

"Never" is a very long time.

People tend to think that as it is it always was and always shall be. They forget the paradoxical dictum that change is the only constant in the universe.

Until the past year or so, the trend was for closer integration between disparate nations. Now, who knows. We may be in a reactionary bleep, or at the start of another ugly nationalist era (the last one netted us WWI and WWII; and we can't afford to fight world wars any longer).
November 23rd, 2016 at 3:42:44 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Read my lips... okay... see my typing... N-E-V-E-R

If it was going to happen, Alabama or Texas would have done it in the 1960's, or Rhode Island would have been absorbed by Massachusetts a long time ago. Our system of government is cleverly designed to provide incentives to states to stay united, and disincentives to states who want to leave. As long as there is a USA, California will be part of it. Even if they were to try to leave, the rest of the Union would force them back in... by force if necessary. Access to the Pacific, and California's agricultural production are too strategically valuable to the Union to trust to a treaty.
November 23rd, 2016 at 3:59:49 PM permalink
Nareed
Read my lips... okay... see my typing... N-E-V-E-R

I'd be willing to bet the Earth's GDP from 3500 BCE to 2100 CE ten times over that you're wrong.

My risk is so small, you'd need whatever a neutrino uses for a microscope to find it.
Page 2 of 12<12345>Last »