Florence Henderson -- RIP

Page 1 of 212>
November 25th, 2016 at 8:24:29 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I don't make a tribute out of every celebrity when they die, but Florence Henderson merits an exception. She died yesterday, on Thanksgiving, 2016.

For anybody close to my age of 51, Florence Henderson represents the perfect mother, Carol Brady. Always upbeat, never angry, full of energy and enthusiasm, a great cook (with help from Alice), and full of unconditional love. No real woman, that I've met, can compare.

Of course, one could criticize the show and the unrealistic perfection it showed. That is probably why shows like Married with Children and Roseanne were so successful.

For me, I watched the Brady Bunch daily through most of my childhood.

To Florence, I say thank you for the good memories. The Brady Bunch was a safe place to retreat to and Carol Brady was ultimate nurturer. If there is another side, I hope to see you there an torture you with Brady Bunch trivia.

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 25th, 2016 at 8:52:55 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard

Of course, one could criticize the show and the unrealistic perfection it showed. That is probably why shows like Married with Children and Roseanne were so successful.

Yeah, but good show at the right time. Any parent can put TBB on and not have to worry about explaining some innuendo to their kids. Maybe how six siblings shared one jack-and-jill bathroom, maybe why cousin Oliver was hanging around, but nothing off-color at all. The show was timeless for a reason. Perhaps the kids today do not watch so much, but everyone knows the scream of "MARCIA, MARCIA, MARCIA!"

CBS, please no hokey reunion tribute show, though. Let the woman RIP.
The President is a fink.
November 25th, 2016 at 10:24:29 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
but everyone knows the scream of "MARCIA, MARCIA, MARCIA!"

If you ever want to annoy someone, wait until you get a blackjack dealer named Marcia and say that when she pulls a 21 against your 20.
November 25th, 2016 at 11:34:56 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I was in my 20's when BB was on,
never saw a single episode. I was
watching Kung Fu and Archie
Bunker and Maude. Happy Days,
Lavern and Shirley, Dean Martin
Show. Sonny and Cher, Mash,
Columbo, 6 Million Dollar Man.

I do remember Florence Henderson
from being on the Love Boat a
bunch of times.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 25th, 2016 at 11:53:55 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
a great cook (with help from Alice),

I watched the show the 1sr few years it was on and movved on to shows EB mentioned. I am older then the Wiz.
She was a great fictional TV Mom but not sure about great cook
I would assume Alice and her coulld cook but I dont think there was an episode regarding how well.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 25th, 2016 at 12:15:04 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
June Cleaver was the best TV mom ever.
Great looking, always had dinner on the
table at 5. Never screamed at the kids,
never fought with Ward, just like everybody
who lived in the real world.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 25th, 2016 at 1:10:37 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: terapined
I would assume Alice and her coulld cook but I dont think there was an episode regarding how well.

Wasn't there an episode where Alice and Mrs. Brady had a contest who could bake the best pie? I think they asked Mr. Brady to offer an opinion and he diplomatically declined.
November 25th, 2016 at 2:01:00 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Wasn't there an episode where Alice and Mrs. Brady had a contest who could bake the best pie? I think they asked Mr. Brady to offer an opinion and he diplomatically declined.

Mr. Brady could be smarter than he looked no mater how easy that was to do.
The President is a fink.
November 25th, 2016 at 2:18:11 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
I believe the Brady's were the first couple to share a bed on a TV show. Very groundbreaking.
November 25th, 2016 at 2:58:32 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: pew
I believe the Brady's were the first couple to share a bed on a TV show. Very groundbreaking.

This was earlier. But I don't know which TV couple were first.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 1 of 212>