Florence Henderson -- RIP

Page 2 of 2<12
November 25th, 2016 at 3:16:55 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The first TV couple to share a bed was not on "The Brady Bunch"
or "The Munsters," but was on "The Mary Kay and Johnny" show in 1947.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 25th, 2016 at 3:39:06 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
The first TV couple to share a bed was not on "The Brady Bunch"
or "The Munsters," but was on "The Mary Kay and Johnny" show in 1947.

I thought it was Fred and Wilma Flintstone?
The President is a fink.
November 25th, 2016 at 5:20:05 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
The premise of the show was really dumb, but hey, it was a sitcom. There wasn't any depiction of the massive conflict, screaming, bloodshed, and maybe actual murder that would be featured in such a cobbled-together household. And Mom Brady should have been depicted as having secret stashes of vodka everywhere, which Jan and Peter and Marcia and Duffy and Poppy and maybe the maid Alice would discover and get into while the parents were away at a charity function--and would return to interrupt a drunken orgy.

My only distinct memory of the show was watching it at a friend's house and her mother remarking that in real life, Carol wouldn't have all those nice kitchen appliances because she would have, for example, broken the blender over someone's head.
November 25th, 2016 at 8:19:36 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: rxwine
This was earlier. But I don't know which TV couple were first.

The Brady Bunch was entirely in color, but I think just barely. I thought the Munsters was all black and white but your image above either proves me wrong or was colorized.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 25th, 2016 at 9:26:11 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
For anybody close to my age of 51, Florence Henderson represents the perfect mother, Carol Brady. Always upbeat, never angry, full of energy and enthusiasm, a great cook (with help from Alice), and full of unconditional love. No real woman, that I've met, can compare.

For me, I watched the Brady Bunch daily through most of my childhood.

The show began 47 years ago. As I understand it, it was far more popular in syndication than in original broadcast.

The age of 4 seems to young to be watching a sitcom. Did you watch it in reruns?

Classic commercial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twuSQsDq3hg
November 26th, 2016 at 3:54:23 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: stinkingliberal
The premise of the show was really dumb, but hey, it was a sitcom. There wasn't any depiction of the massive conflict, screaming, bloodshed, and maybe actual murder that would be featured in such a cobbled-together household. And Mom Brady should have been depicted as having secret stashes of vodka everywhere, which Jan and Peter and Marcia and Duffy and Poppy and maybe the maid Alice would discover and get into while the parents were away at a charity function--and would return to interrupt a drunken orgy.

My only distinct memory of the show was watching it at a friend's house and her mother remarking that in real life, Carol wouldn't have all those nice kitchen appliances because she would have, for example, broken the blender over someone's head.

I was under the impression the show was based on the Henry Fonda/Lucille Ball movie "Yours mine and Ours"
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 26th, 2016 at 4:32:34 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: terapined
I was under the impression the show was based on the Henry Fonda/Lucille Ball movie "Yours mine and Ours"

Sherwood Schwartz created and shopped the TV show around for several years, but shelved it when he had no buyers. As "It's About Time" was cancelled after one year, Sherwood had no successor to Gilligan's Island. The financial success of the film "Yours mine and Ours" ( YM&O) sparked network interest in the dormant project.

But since the Brady Bunch followed the movie YM&O by about one year, most of the public assumed it was based on the film.
November 26th, 2016 at 6:00:05 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
The age of 4 seems to young to be watching a sitcom. Did you watch it in reruns?

Yes.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
Page 2 of 2<12