2 votes (8.69%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (4.34%)

23 members have voted

March 9th, 2017 at 9:26:15 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
According the AARP, under the Republican plan, a 64 year old making $15,000 a year will have their healthcare premiums rise by $8,400 (not even counting co-pays).

Simple question: Do you think that is reasonable?

And let's be realistic, most 64 year olds who make $15,000 per year weren't Hillary voters. It will be very interesting to see how they react to getting what they voted for.

Interesting. If you are a 64 year old who is presently getting health insurance from your employer your costs will increase negligibly. I believe you are referring to a specific case of the oldest possible pre Medicare person, either part time or making below minimum wage, who was being subsidized to get 'cheap' Obamacare. Under either plan, that person
1. qualifies for Medicaid, or
2. has enough of a net worth to be able to afford the cost of health care for the single year until they qualify for Medicare

So to me the complicated answer is yes, that person for that one year can now pay the actual cost of their health care insurance, instead of the handout which Obamacare was. Life can be expensive. Most people have more expensive cars than I do. Most people have more expensive clothes than I do. Most people work far fewer hours than I do. Make a choice and pay for YOUR care.

By the way, you should be happy for my answer. When many Americans realize that Trump is not the "give me everything I want for free" President like Obama was and HRC would have been, that will tip the scales for Cuomo in 2020.
March 9th, 2017 at 9:39:35 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: SOOPOO
When many Americans realize that Trump is not the "give me everything I want for free" President like Obama was and HRC would have been, that will tip the scales for Cuomo in 2020.

From this yesterday's Wall Street Journal: Trump was to give us high speed rail for free*.

(And by "free" I mean $1 trillion.)
March 9th, 2017 at 9:52:11 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
So to me the complicated answer is yes, that person for that one year can now pay the actual cost of their health care insurance, instead of the handout which Obamacare was. Life can be expensive. Most people have more expensive cars than I do. Most people have more expensive clothes than I do. Most people work far fewer hours than I do. Make a choice and pay for YOUR care.

I bet your car is more expensive then mine
I bet your clothes are more expensive then mine
I make a lot less then you and pay for my own healthcare
I have compassion for the poor to get healthcare
I make less then you, probably way less then you
yet
If my taxes have to go up to help the poor get healthcare
so be it
I can afford it.
How can you not afford it making so much more then me?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 9th, 2017 at 9:57:06 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
By the way, you should be happy for my answer. When many Americans realize that Trump is not the "give me everything I want for free" President like Obama was and HRC would have been, that will tip the scales for Cuomo in 2020.

Actually, I am kind of enjoying seeing many of the poorer Trump voters start to realize they have majorly screwed themselves over.

Elections do have consequences - and they are going to come to realize that in the hardest way possible....
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 9th, 2017 at 10:27:44 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: terapined
I bet your car is more expensive then mine
I bet your clothes are more expensive then mine
I make a lot less then you and pay for my own healthcare
I have compassion for the poor to get healthcare
I make less then you, probably way less then you
yet
If my taxes have to go up to help the poor get healthcare
so be it
I can afford it.
How can you not afford it making so much more then me?

Ed- you are such a good soul.......

I've been in your car. Just the shit inside it was worth more than my car. (teasing)

I can afford to pay more for health insurance if it cost more. Never said or even implied otherwise.

Your taxes already pay for the poor to get healthcare, that is called MEDICAID.

YOU are actually the poster-child for my point. You are a hard working, not overly paid, guy. Why is it that YOU were able to take care of YOURSELF? is it because you selected a job that had healthcare as a benefit? Could you be making more in a job without healthcare as a benefit, then bitch that the government needs to help you?
March 9th, 2017 at 10:31:22 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Actually, I am kind of enjoying seeing many of the poorer Trump voters start to realize they have majorly screwed themselves over.

Elections do have consequences - and they are going to come to realize that in the hardest way possible....

I agree with you. Trump, like Romney, will not be a friend to that "47%". By 2020 I would bet that number exceeds 50%. The only way the Repubs would ever have a chance is if only people with jobs were allowed to vote.
March 9th, 2017 at 10:36:29 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: reno
When many Americans realize that Trump is not the "give me everything I want for free" President like Obama was and HRC would have been, that will tip the scales for Cuomo in 2020.

From this yesterday's Wall Street Journal: Trump was to give us high speed rail for free*.

(And by "free" I mean $1 trillion.)

I am not against the government providing 'free' things, in general, that is its job. Things like roads, snow removal (I live near Buffalo), police, fire..... I am not sure I would be against a high speed rail system. The crux of this discussion is really weather 'health care' should be included as a government guaranteed service or not. Now it is for the poor (Medicaid) but the rest are supposed to provide for it themselves, and the system developed (foolishly) that employers tended to provide it.
March 9th, 2017 at 10:45:16 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346

Oh, but any increases in healthcare costs for the working poor and small business owners, will be more than made up with price increases in consumer goods thanks to border taxes/tariffs imposed on imports.

Wait...

With price increases in foodstuffs due to a decreased labor force once we kick out all the illegals? No? Then with increases in foodstuffs due to the need to import them and add tariffs to them?

No?

Then what price increase do you want?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 9th, 2017 at 12:06:24 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Ed- you are such a good soul.......

I've been in your car. Just the shit inside it was worth more than my car. (teasing)

I can afford to pay more for health insurance if it cost more. Never said or even implied otherwise.

Your taxes already pay for the poor to get healthcare, that is called MEDICAID.

YOU are actually the poster-child for my point. You are a hard working, not overly paid, guy. Why is it that YOU were able to take care of YOURSELF? is it because you selected a job that had healthcare as a benefit? Could you be making more in a job without healthcare as a benefit, then bitch that the government needs to help you?

Happy to give you a ride in my 2001 Isuzu Rodeo :-)
I keep it maintained but with 130k miles, doubt its worth much

Even though I make a lot less then you
I still lead a comfortable life
Golf again?
I just feel that we as a society can do more then just Medicaid for the poor
I am willing to pay more taxes to insure that those with less then me get health care.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 9th, 2017 at 12:41:44 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Everyone has access to health care. Health care and health insurance are two different things. If we went back to the way it was I wouldn't be able to buy health insurance. It wouldn't make much difference though because the plan my wife and I pay next to nothing for in my dark blue state sucks so bad I would never pay any real money for it anyway. If I'm not covered so be it, I'll just have to wait for medicare.