No votes (0%)
1 vote (4.34%)

23 members have voted

March 14th, 2017 at 8:25:04 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: ams288
Because NO healthcare plan based on Republican principles will ever be "good."

That's too broad a claim, and very likely wrong.

Quote:
Republicans consider healthcare a privilege and not a right. Only a few are willing to admit this.

Republicans are not a monolithic block any more than the Democrats are. The problem, and it's with both parties, is party loyalty. In the past two decades, it's become almost impossible for any politician to disagree with their own party for any reason. So Republicans and Democrat sin Congress will vote for bills they don't like or disagree with, because it's a party thing.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 14th, 2017 at 8:53:53 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Because NO healthcare plan based on Republican principles will ever be "good."

Republicans consider healthcare a privilege and not a right. Only a few are willing to admit this.

They have to blatantly lie about what the goals of their replacement plan are (massive tax cut for the rich, gutting Medicaid for the poor) in order to hopefully jam it through before anyone notices.

Thankfully, everyone seemed to notice and this plan will never pass as is...

Health care has an insatiable demand. Well I agree that health care should be available for those that truly need it I think calling it a right is a little over the top. All countries that have national health care plans find numerous ways of limiting access. Wait times are often long as they are in Canada. National plans still have lists of approved treatments that are covered, if the treatment is not on the list it is user pay. Health care in BC is 42% of the Provincial budget and people are still unhappy. So regardless of the design of any health plan, a significant percentage of the population will be unhappy that it doesn't do more.

With the current toxic state of politics in the US it is a given the lefties will be unhappy with any plan.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 14th, 2017 at 9:03:34 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
The plan has been analyzed. It will save $350 BILLION plus on the deficit. But it will cut the number of people getting free or deeply discounted coverage. Those that don't get for free what they have been getting for free will not care about spending money we don't have. "Just tax the rich more". But there are more that will be upset with losing coverage than there will be happy that the government is on sounder financial footing. Just as the Dems were caught lying (you can keep your plan) the Repubs will be caught lying (you won't lose coverage) to a large swath of Americans. I don't think it will be pretty for the Republicans, who didn't have the balls to be honest.... saying something like this.... "Obamacare is a giant federal handout we cannot afford. Repealing this monstrosity will save trillions of dollars, but some will have to start contributing to their actual health care costs, not the federal government" It aint gonna pass as presently written. The Repubs don't have the balls....
March 14th, 2017 at 10:06:04 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: kenarman
With the current toxic state of politics in the US it is a given the lefties will be unhappy with any plan.

Medicare for all would satisfy them.

And it could be done with a one page bill! We all know how much Republicans love to trash bills that have many pages...
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 14th, 2017 at 11:19:49 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14

And it could be done with a one page bill! We all know how much Republicans love to trash bills that have many pages...

It would bankrupt the country without qualifications and controls. That is the problem with the quick and easy no thought answers. Sounds like one of Trump's beauty queen answers to what do you want? "Oh I really want to see world peace."
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 14th, 2017 at 11:32:40 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
People have a right to access medical care not to have it paid for (by others).
March 14th, 2017 at 11:38:28 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61

Not a Republican, but I'll hop into the light and say, yeah, it's a privilege. It's a good and/or service that takes time, effort, and energy from another person to create. What is it called if you take that good and/or service without compensation?

I call it theft. You can call it what you want, but unless you too call it theft, you are wrong.

I'm a (generally) reasonable man, and as long as you're not talking guns, I feel I am still malleable and can have my mind changed. Care to try on this idea that it's a right?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 14th, 2017 at 11:48:15 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face
Care to try on this idea that it's a right?

It's a right to have insurance available
to buy, but not a right to get it for
free. Even Medicare isn't free, they
take a chunk of your SS payment for
it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 14th, 2017 at 12:04:10 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8

If that is what would work, why in the world didn't the Democrats do it when they had complete control of the passage of laws? There has to be a reason...they even had the freedom to pass a bill that was not even read by those voting on it--they could have put ANYTHING in it.
March 14th, 2017 at 12:34:45 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

How so. Medicare isn't free, you pay
for it with your SS stipend. The
hospital part is not free either, there
are deductibles you have to pay cash
for.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.