2 votes (8.69%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (4.34%)

23 members have voted

February 20th, 2018 at 3:07:40 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
The thing is, if you knew for sure exactly when it happens you could prepare. But since that won't happen, all you can do is prepare first.

Sound economic practice is for the government to be parsimonious in good times and spend like a drunk sailor in bad ones.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 20th, 2018 at 3:12:20 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Quote: Nareed
It could backfire, because the GOP would rile up the base and the wingnuts with lies about repealing the 2nd Amendment, or of the government taking everyone's guns away (like Obama did, remember?) But that might be preempted by pledging support for the right to bear arms.

Gun control, again? I'm now of the opinion that nothing will happen and that the mass shootings will continue into perpetuity. Hopeless, really. Something should have been done after Columbine. Then Sandy Hook happened and nothing. Teachers are now wondering how much of a pay raise they'll get for being human shields.

But whatever. I'm not going to open that can of worms on here again. If years of crazy violence and innocent bloodshed doesn't make you think about what should change, then frankly, I think you are a tiny insensitive and insolent human being. We've talked about it, and it seems that people who want gun control are communists who want to take away your second amendment rights.

And don't kid yourself, I would love to see a magic fairy named Adam Rippon (yes, he's gay, and no, he's not a member of this forum, and in this case, fairy is used positively) wave his magic wand, fall on a quadruple toe jump (he does this, consistently), and accidently rid the world of all guns and come in 10th place. Screw the 2nd Amendment. The problem is that there is no magic wand. We're stuck in a nation that's armed to the teeth and no way and no will to figure out how to back out. So instead we continue to arm ourselves, and we insanely accept the 30K annual deaths as "oh well, the cost of freedom".

Yet we lovingly accept that we have to take our shoes off at the airport, because some idiot lit his shoes on fire one day; we can't take water through security, we go through multi-million dollar body scanners; we can't travel with a 4 oz bottle of toothpaste in our carry on; we have to pay $3.00 for a bottle of water once in the airport because we can't carry it through (market prices, my ass!); we ban entire nations from visiting the United States (even though the terrorist threat from these countries, in terms of deaths caused, is zero), all in the name of defense. Twelve people die from tainted drugs, and the response is to tamper-proof packaging and introduce child-proof tops. How many billions has this cost? How many trillions of dollars in productivity have been lost in waiting in lines at the airport?

In terms of risk-aversion, some further measure of gun control should be a no-brainer given all of the other crap we accept to protect ourselves. But it isn't.
February 20th, 2018 at 3:29:17 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: boymimbo
Gun control, again?

No. Or not just gun control. as I said, begin with a deep study of the problem. no problem can ever be solved without good data on causes and means.

Quote:
I'm now of the opinion that nothing will happen and that the mass shootings will continue into perpetuity.

One thing about studying history, is you realize nothing ever stays the same forever.

Quote:
Hopeless, really. Something should have been done after Columbine. Then Sandy Hook happened and nothing. Teachers are now wondering how much of a pay raise they'll get for being human shields.

Something, though nowhere near enough, was done after Columbine. Weapons like those used in Sandy Hook, Aurora, Texas and now Florida were taken off the market. the ban expired in Bush the younger's term, and was not renewed. Teachers will probably have to pay for Kevlar overcoats.

Quote:
But whatever. I'm not going to open that can of worms on here again. If years of crazy violence and innocent bloodshed doesn't make you think about what should change, then frankly, I think you are a tiny insolent and insolent human being. We've talked about it, and it seems that people who want gun control are communists who want to take away your second amendment rights.

And when I said that, I got suspended.

Quote:
Yet we lovingly accept that we have to take our shoes off at the airport, because some idiot lit his shoes on fire one day; we can't take water through security, we go through multi-million dollar body scanners; we can't travel with a 4 oz bottle of toothpaste in our carry on; we have to pay $3.00 for a bottle of water once in the airport because we can't carry it through (market prices, my ass!); we ban entire nations from visiting the United States (even though the terrorist threat from these countries, in terms of deaths caused, is zero), all in the name of defense. Twelve people die from tainted drugs, and the response is to tamper-proof packaging and introduce child-proof tops. How many billions has this cost? How many trillions of dollars in productivity have been lost in waiting in lines at the airport?

I've wondered about that. I've jokingly said you're only half as dead if you're killed in a US mass shooting, but twice as dead if killed by a terrorist or an illegal immigrant. While this is a flippant view, I think there may be something to it. That people really resent some pointless, brutal killings more than others. Why do you suppose that is? people resent, or are outraged more, by things like America's use of the nuclear bomb on Japan, than by things like the firebombings of Dresden and Tokyo, although loss of life and destruction were similar.

Why is that?
February 20th, 2018 at 3:54:43 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
G
In terms of risk-aversion, some further measure of gun control should be a no-brainer given all of the other crap we accept to protect ourselves. But it isn't.

The penalty for an illegal gun is only $500. That's about a slap on the wrist. Yes there also a possible jail sentence, but I'd bet a dime a dozen it's fairly rare.

One way to reduce the number of guns is scare the hell out of people who keep or modify illegal guns. Fines should start at 5k at a minimum.

Extra guns means more guns to sell or to be stolen. And of the wrong type if they are modified to be more dangerous.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 20th, 2018 at 8:34:43 PM permalink
boymimbo
Quote: rxwine
The penalty for an illegal gun is only $500. That's about a slap on the wrist. Yes there also a possible jail sentence, but I'd bet a dime a dozen it's fairly rare.

Canada:

possession of prohibited or restricted firearm with ammunition
95. (1) Subject to subsection (3), every person commits an offence who, in any place, possesses a loaded prohibited firearm or restricted firearm, or an unloaded prohibited firearm or restricted firearm together with readily accessible ammunition that is capable of being discharged in the firearm, unless the person is the holder of
(a) an authorization or a licence under which the person may possess the firearm in that place; and
(b) the registration certificate for the firearm.

Punishment
(2) Every person who commits an offence under subsection (1)
(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years and to a minimum punishment of imprisonment for a term of
(i) in the case of a first offence, three years, and
(ii) in the case of a second or subsequent offence, five years; or
(b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding one year.

Note that a summary offence (still a criminal offence) is like a misdemeanor and is used for things like misunderstandings. But certainly people carrying a concealed handgun for example, would be charged under the indictable category.
February 20th, 2018 at 9:31:00 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
But certainly people carrying a concealed handgun for example, would be charged under the indictable category.

Canada is a ridiculous place, I wouldn't
live there if all my expenses were paid.
I carry a concealed gun with a permit
everywhere, Canada is a joke.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 21st, 2018 at 10:40:17 AM permalink
boymimbo
Quote: Evenbob
Canada is a ridiculous place, I wouldn't
live there if all my expenses were paid.
I carry a concealed gun with a permit
everywhere, Canada is a joke.

Well, that's good news for Canada, then.
February 21st, 2018 at 11:10:26 AM permalink
Nareed
Canada:

I suppose according to NRA rhetoric, you must be besieged by criminals, afraid to leave your homes, afraid to stay in your homes, and dying in great droves.
February 21st, 2018 at 11:29:26 AM permalink
boymimbo
Quote: Nareed
I suppose according to NRA rhetoric, you must be besieged by criminals, afraid to leave your homes, afraid to stay in your homes, and dying in great droves.

True, true, true, and true.

That's why I moved to the United States.
February 21st, 2018 at 11:34:41 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
True, true, true, and true.

That's why I moved to the United States.

Also why 99% of CAN's population lives within 10 minutes of NRA territory. They're trying to get our sweet, sweet freedom, but are simply too polite to cross illegally. So they pile up and wait ;)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.