AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
He's looking into designer toilet paper
Trump wiped his ass with in 1988, made
from Russian trees. Also, his first wife
owned a Russian sable coat in 1981,
Trump might have to resign..

He bought Ivanka a set of Russian Nesting Dolls for her 8th birthday. It's over!
The President is a fink.
October 3rd, 2018 at 4:34:46 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
This morning the New York Times published a 15,000 word article on Fred Trump & Donald Trump's tax evasion schemes.

I have to admit that I'm a bit amused that in the years before his death, Fred Trump made up a sham company that didn't exist ("All County Building Supply And Maintenance") that would charge exorbitantly overpriced rates to Fred himself for procuring stuff (pipes, wiring, furnaces, boilers, etc) for Fred's own apartment buildings. The scheme was intended to transfer tens of millions of dollars in wealth from Fred to his adult children without paying 55% in gift taxes.

Dan Shaviro is a Professor of Taxation at New York University.

Quote: Dan Shaviro
while [Mitt Romney] engaged in some quite aggressive tax planning that seemed open to question and audit challenge, it was well within the bounds of what well-advised people in his industry, working with the leading firms, were doing. I don't believe that the same can be said of [Trump's] tax maneuvers described in today's NYT article... There will be a tendency for cynical people to say: "All very rich people do this." I don't think that's correct, at least to anything like this degree... So if Trump's peer group is very rich people, what the NYT article describes does not appear to be anywhere near "par for the course." On the other hand, if his peer group is criminals - and he has, of course, expressed outrage about Al Capone's being convicted of tax fraud - then this is indeed the sort of behavior about which one would tend to suspect that they're all doing it.

Is Trump in legal trouble after he steps down from his wildly successful second term in 2024? Probably not. But keep this in mind: rapper Ja Rule served 22 months in prison for failing to pay $1.1 million in taxes.
October 3rd, 2018 at 5:16:32 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: reno
But keep this in mind: rapper Ja Rule served 22 months in prison for failing to pay $1.1 million in taxes.

That's usually for failing to report income
and committing fraud. Trump, like every
other billionaire, is under an almost constant
IRS audit. People who audit for a living and
know every trick in the book. What Fred
Trump did is very common, if it was illegal,
uh oh, he be dead..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 3rd, 2018 at 5:24:22 PM permalink
AZDuffman

I have to admit that I'm a bit amused that in the years before his death, Fred Trump made up a sham company that didn't exist ("All County Building Supply And Maintenance") that would charge exorbitantly overpriced rates to Fred himself for procuring stuff (pipes, wiring, furnaces, boilers, etc) for Fred's own apartment buildings. The scheme was intended to transfer tens of millions of dollars in wealth from Fred to his adult children without paying 55% in gift taxes.

I say good for him. Tax was already paid on that wealth. Feds taking over half of someone's inheritance is criminal.
The President is a fink.
October 3rd, 2018 at 5:50:02 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: AZDuffman
I say good for him. Tax was already paid on that wealth. Feds taking over half of someone's inheritance is criminal.

So you'd be rooting for Keith Olbermann or Michael Moore or George Soros or Barack Obama if the IRS audited one of them?
October 3rd, 2018 at 6:22:13 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
if the IRS audited one of them?

IF? They've been audited. And audited. You
must have never owned a business, you
get audited all the time. The bigger you
are the more they audit.

I knew a guy who had a TV repair shop.
He said in the 50's and 60's, 2-3 times
a year the IRS would be waiting in the
morning and spend all day going thru
his books. Of course he kept two sets
of books and never claimed most of
the cash he was paid. He had two
receipt books. They never got him on
anything, but in those days the IRS
was ruthless. They could pick a number
out of the air make you prove you didn't
take in that amount last year.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 3rd, 2018 at 7:18:22 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: rxwine
Isn't there a moratorium so many days before an election where they don't make anything public?
I think you are right. It makes no sense to me, but I guess the idea is to remain fair. It had occurred to me that the news on the investigation went dark.

Not hearing anything lately about the collusion investigation [if there still is one], I then wondered why the msm hadn't followed up on the locked up immigrants?

The news media seem so one topic. I just realized my direct tv has an RT channel. Lots of different topics of info, way more interesting than the 15 minute news feed loop that plays for hours on end.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 4th, 2018 at 2:37:35 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: petroglyph

Not hearing anything lately about the collusion investigation [if there still is one], I then wondered why the msm hadn't followed up on the locked up immigrants?

The news media seem so one topic.

Have been for years. Limbaugh points it out all the time, montage of clips of 10 sources, all saying the same thing the same way.

Why haven't they followed up on locked up illegal aliens? Because they never really cared about them. They cared about making noise for a week. Every week is a new crisis, and the public gets into a lather. Then the media moves on and six weeks later the public cannot even remember the story.
The President is a fink.
October 4th, 2018 at 2:39:39 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Looks like the snowflakes are now all upset over the alert test yesterday. Some are saying Trump "violated" them. One tweet says someone went to the safe space their employer provides for an hour.

I would assume much of it is a joke, but TDS is now so advanced anything is possible with that crowd.
The President is a fink.
October 4th, 2018 at 7:07:17 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: petroglyph
How is that whole Trump/Russian collusion thing going? Is Mueller still burning millions of dollars to find out who leaked the DNC emails?

Article from The Hill says FBI knew the collusion scheme was a DNC tactic to hurt Trump; https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/409817-russia-collusion-bombshell-dnc-lawyers-met-with-fbi-on-dossier-before
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW