2 votes (8.69%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (4.34%)

23 members have voted

February 17th, 2017 at 5:38:40 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Quote: Evenbob
"There are approximately 174,000 blue-collar, full-time, permanent jobs related to coal in the U.S."

Soon to be 250,000

Aside from the fact that you have no source for this "fact," "jobs related to coal" isn't the same thing as "coal miners." Coal has to be transported, burned, and the resultant energy transmitted or the byproducts distributed. All of those jobs could easily be converted to similar non-coal functions.

As for the miners, I doubt that they're so stupid that they couldn't be employed digging holes in the ground for some other reason.
February 17th, 2017 at 5:44:02 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Quote: Evenbob
Yeah, always go to the absurd extremes.
How about letting coal miners go back
to work and loosening the extremes
imposed on new cars, for a start.

Coal is an obsolescent power source. I know you don't give a crap about air pollution and think global warming is a hoax, but even putting those considerations aside, sustainable and renewable power sources are rapidly becoming cheaper than burning fossil fuels.

And here's another think for you, Bob--how many miners die in coal mines annually? How many of them do you think would have died if they had been working in solar plants?
February 17th, 2017 at 6:10:22 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
There are something like 3 million fast food jobs in America. Far less dangerous.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
February 17th, 2017 at 8:56:45 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Quote: Dalex64
There are something like 3 million fast food jobs in America. Far less dangerous.

I also wonder why those hundreds of billions (or whatever number EB made up) of unemployed coal miners couldn't be put to work on those nationwide infrastructure projects Trump keeps talking about. Digging, blasting, heavy construction--wouldn't those skills transfer?

That's one area where I actually agree with the Orange Asshole. The strange thing is that Republicans are adamantly opposed to spending any money on fixing the country's infrastructure. I guess when you flit around the country in a private jet, you don't see the need to fix crumbling roadways and bridges. Republicans aren't in touch with the real world.
February 18th, 2017 at 6:51:12 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
Who gives a crap about coal miners?

Clearly not the Democrats. How did that work out?
February 18th, 2017 at 6:54:32 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: SOOPOO
Clearly not the Democrats. How did that work out?

Yes - the Dems lost because they neglected the coal miners. What a moronic argument.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 18th, 2017 at 7:04:58 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: ams288
Yes - the Dems lost because they neglected the coal miners. What a moronic argument.

It is not my fault you cannot understand it. The coal miners are just one group that the Democrats left behind. Auto workers seeing jobs leave are another example. I can go on, but why bother. Enough small unimportant groups neglected adds up to an electoral college loss. You can't understand that? I guess neither could Democrat leadership.
February 18th, 2017 at 7:18:51 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Trump tweeted

"The FAKE NEWS media (failing @nytimes, @NBCNews, @ABC, @CBS, @CNN) is not my enemy, it is the enemy of the American People!"

I just chuckle at these tweets
too funny
First off, he forgot the Wash Post lol
These giant media companies are huge due to the American People.
The American people are reading and watching therefore these are big companies
They succeed or fail is in direct proportion how much the American reads or watches the product
Obviously the media is not the enemy of the American people because the media is directly supported by the American people with there eyeballs
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 18th, 2017 at 8:15:02 AM permalink
stinkingliberal
Quote: SOOPOO
It is not my fault you cannot understand it. The coal miners are just one group that the Democrats left behind. Auto workers seeing jobs leave are another example. I can go on, but why bother. Enough small unimportant groups neglected adds up to an electoral college loss. You can't understand that? I guess neither could Democrat leadership.

Technology and progress "left them behind." The Orange Asshole made promises that he can't deliver on. That that tactic worked well just proves how stupid the American electorate is.

Trump never said HOW he would "bring those jobs back," except for vague threats of blackmail. Clinton didn't travel to the redneck flyover states and lie to Joe Sixpack about how she would somehow reverse the flow of time and progress and give everybody new pickup trucks. If she had done that, though, she would have won. But she lost the battle of bullshit badly, because bullshit is not her style but comes to the Orange Asshole as naturally as breathing.
February 18th, 2017 at 8:30:38 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: stinkingliberal
Technology and progress "left them behind." The Orange Asshole made promises that he can't deliver on. That that tactic worked well just proves how stupid the American electorate is.

You are likely correct. But when trying to win an election you either can choose a winning strategy or a losing one. If both sides have the same 'intel' on how stupid the electorate is, are you 'smart' by ignoring that? I agree with you that it is the technological elimination of jobs that is a much bigger threat than foreign countries to 'Joe Sixpack' as you call him. But because you and I know this, so what? We are the minority. The voters spoke. President Trump is the result.