Yeah? And what if ET tries to convert you?

November 28th, 2016 at 7:25:07 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Interesting article:

http://cosmos.nautil.us/feature/63/an-alien-adaptability-scorecard-for-the-worlds-biggest-religions

The premise is how various religions would deal with intelligent extraterrestrial life. A lot is said whether this or that religion would try to convert the aliens, but not one word on whether the aliens would try to convert you to their religion.

Years ago a friend told me he was annoyed at how aliens are always portrayed as more advanced. My reasoning was that if they can travel from their world to Earth, they are more advance, because we clearly cannot travel to their world. So, why wouldn't more advanced aliens try to convert humans to their religions?

I can't think of many SF stories dealing with the subject (not really my area of interest). But there is one Niven story in his collection of the Draco Tavern, where the aliens say they are satisfied with their spiritual knowledge, and will not listen to religious or spiritual ideas from other species for a very good reason.

Hell, what if aliens arrive to Earth to either convert us or wage holy war against us?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 28th, 2016 at 1:41:55 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Nareed

Hell, what if aliens arrive to Earth to either convert us or wage holy war against us?

If they have a religion that converts,
they will more than likely view us
as slaves. Or food.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 28th, 2016 at 8:49:29 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
If they are from an advanced civilization, they would not believe in religion but then again, if they were from an advanced civilization they would have no desire to visit us, even as a 'slumming' lark.