Money kept rolling in Evita

December 9th, 2016 at 7:33:07 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

This song about Eva Peron's foundation and the nature of helping the poor has influenced my thinking for 40 years.

I think the lyrics are fairly self explanatory

Quote: Written by Andrew Lloyd Webber, Tim Rice Copyright Universal Music Publishing Group

And the money kept rolling in from every side
Eva's pretty hands reached out and they reached wide
Now you may feel it should have been a voluntary cause
But that's not the point my friends
When the money keeps rolling in, you don't ask how
Think of all the people guaranteed a good time now
Eva's called the hungry to her, open up the doors
Never been a fund like the Foundation Eva Peron

Rollin' rollin' rollin', rollin' rollin' rollin'

Rollin' on in, rollin' on in
Rollin' on in, rollin' on in
On in

Would you like to try a college education?
Own your landlord's house, take the family on vacation?
Eva and her blessed fund can make your dreams come true
Here's all you have to do my friends
Write your name and your dream on a card or a pad or a ticket
Throw it high in the air and should our lady pick it
She will change your way of life for a week or even two
Name me anyone who cares as much as Eva Peron

Rollin' on out, rollin' on out
On out

And the money kept rolling out in all directions
To the poor, to the weak, to the destitute of all complexions
Now cynics claim a little of the cash has gone astray
But that's not the point my friends
When the money keeps rolling out you don't keep books
You can tell you've done well by the happy grateful looks
Accountants only slow things down, figures get in the way
Never been a lady loved as much as Eva Peron

On out

Eva!!!
When the money keeps rolling out you don't keep books
You can tell you've done well by the happy grateful looks
Accountants only slow things down, figures get in the way
Never been a lady loved as much as Eva Peron

On out
December 9th, 2016 at 8:32:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Sounds like the way the Clinton Foundation is
run. If you're lucky some of the money goes
to charity. Books, they don't need to keep
no stinking books.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 10th, 2016 at 2:55:58 AM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Wow, that was close! I took the Under 1 hour when trying to predict when (not if) EvenBob would post some insult about Hillary on this thread. It took Bob 59 minutes. I was beginning to get worried, but our alt-right guru came through just under the wire. Now my cat owes me five bucks.
December 10th, 2016 at 6:27:31 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Accountants, audits, paperwork, ...?
Think of the Red Ball Express that kept fuel in Patton's tanks and they rolled across France at all times dangerously ahead of their supply lines. Drivers sitting on the wrong side of the seat because snipers would automatically aim behind the steering wheel. (Some drivers even kept a corpse behind the wheel). Left footed braking because the driver couldn't even reach the brake pedal with his right foot. Convoy speeds of three times what was safe for the road in peacetime conditions. If a driver fell asleep and drove off a cliff, it was certain that at least two trucks behind him were going to follow him simply because of their speed, only that third truck might be able to stop. Do you think there were Bills of Lading and Audit Trails? A truck driver made thirty dollars a month and could make twice that in five minutes selling one Jerry can to a French civilian. Some drivers got rich, many got court martialed. Yet it was the various majors and colonels who sent home quarter million and half million dollar transfer payments. Only a few of those got prosecuted.

Some soldiers were getting cigarettes by the truckload and made a fortune on the black market, sending home these fifty grand GI payment books every few weeks.

Yet, the mission got accomplished. Patton's tanks were forever in danger of running dry but the gas did get through, just as England did not starve but was never more than five weeks away from it. Black markets flourished but the task did get accomplished. Pipelines were leaky and life expectancy for auditors was short, but the job got done.

Tammany Hall built NYC's Central Park at a phenomenally high cost, but it was well built and lasted. In those days Politicians were deemed honest because once they were bought they stayed bought and did the work right, just at three times the proper cost.

Al Capone went to jail because he did not have receipts but it is well known he fed most of Chicago's men during the depression. All those soup kitchens, willing workers, truck drivers, meats and vegetables came from Al Capone. All the Three Penny Restaurants in the depression were administered by 'society ladies' but paid for by organized crime. The working poor and the unemployed who were too proud to accept the charity of a soup kitchen ate in a real restaurant for three cents, paid with a nickle and heaven help the ungrateful bum who didn't leave the two pennies change as a tip. Women, children, men who had been brought up too proud to accept charity were fed by organized crime, NOT the government. When the City of Chicago paid its police and firemen in "scrip" because they had no money to fund their payroll, who do you think gave the city workers CASH rather than nearly worthless IOUs.

Are charities and foundations "leaky" and oft at odds with stated goals? Of course. Family foundations serve to keep the IRS at bay and to provide guest lists for Charity shindigs wherein they give the Hoity Toity awards for helping the poor and provide photo ops for some Society Dame to appear to be serving a turkey dinner to a bum.

Think of the essence of Communism: cut off the puppy's tail and feed him some fresh meat.

The money flows... the US sent millions of cans of SPAM to Murmansk and Archangel during WWtwo to feed the starving Russians. All of it could have been eaten, but much of it was allowed to spoil due to bureaucratic delays in changing the packaging from Armour Meats, Chicago to Great Patriotic War Food Factory, Russia.

The money flows in and flows out... some spam spoils, some gas goes to private interests, some puppies ain't fooled, some cigarettes get given to mothers to rent their underage daughter's bodies, some cigarettes go to cold exhausted soldiers. As Las Vegas knows best, palms have to get greased.
December 10th, 2016 at 8:17:33 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Evenbob
Sounds like the way the Clinton Foundation is
run. If you're lucky some of the money goes
to charity. Books, they don't need to keep
no stinking books.

Good one EB
We see you are taking shots at Clinton in non-political threads
Go for it. We can take it
Its EB after all. We are used to your Clinton attacks
but
Why do you get so upset when I post about Trump?
You get so unhinged and try to insult me
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"