2017 Dead Pool

Thread Rating:

April 23rd, 2017 at 1:23:53 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I assume "Happy Days" was fond memories of its creator Garry Marshall who also created Laverne and Shirley.

The sixties were definitely volatile. Might be exciting times, but not necessarily full of fond memories. Marshall probably didn't relate to the 70s much.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 23rd, 2017 at 1:28:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
It was different in that the 1960s changed society so much. The early 1970s were almost as much.

I was there in the 50's, I know how
much it changed. Maybe in the
cities it changed a lot, but in small
towns, like I lived in, it really was
not a radical shift. It was different,
but not like it was another culture.
They exaggerated the crap out of
the late 50's on the show.

In 74 there were still a ton of 50's
cars on the road. Elvis was still king,
rock and roll was still rocking, hair
was longer, but hair in the late 50's
was radical too. The clothes were
different, the rest of it not so much.
Rednecks were still rednecks, bullies
were still bullies. I remember watching
Happy Days and thinking, this is BS,
it wasn't like this at all.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 23rd, 2017 at 1:51:32 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
I was there in the 50's, I know how
much it changed. Maybe in the
cities it changed a lot, but in small
towns, like I lived in, it really was
not a radical shift. It was different,
but not like it was another culture.
They exaggerated the crap out of
the late 50's on the show.

I think it did change a lot in the cities. Downtown department stores and shopping gave way to malls. Many downtowns started looking like ghost towns, with bars or other roll-downs in front of windows after the riots of the 1960s. Things were decaying. "Old" neighborhoods were starting to get dangerous and fall into disrepair.

The 1970s was just a dark decade. Cars were junk. Blue collar work had peaked and layoffs more common. Stagflation was the order of the day. The USA was getting embarrassed internationally. The world caught up after the "insurmountable" lead we had in 1945, just a generation before.

Things were a mess.
The President is a fink.
April 23rd, 2017 at 3:09:24 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
It was different in that the 1960s changed society so much. The early 1970s were almost as much. Would be like in 2002 looking back 15 years to the late 1980s, when so much seemed so much better. Guys losing their mill jobs and having a hard time making ends meet in a nation feeling down after Vietnam looked at 1955 and it was so much better.

Think of how a show set in 1995 might play in 2010. That seemed a better time, but in many ways it was not.

The late 50's early 60's were an incredibly optimistic time. We had won WWII, there was lots of jobs and lots of money if you were white. Anything was possible, we were going into space and the moon landing was going to happen. Slowly our bubble was popped, Kennedy was assassinated, the civil rights movement took off with riots and assassinations, Vietnam became a much different war than WWII had been and we weren't sure we were on the side of right. My generation then thought we could fix everything by making love not war but reality quickly shut down that notion.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
April 27th, 2017 at 6:39:49 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Both founders of Waffle House have died within weeks of each other.

Quote:
Thomas Francis Forkner Sr., who jumped from selling real estate to the restaurant business when he co-founded Waffle House in the 1950s, has died less than two months after the death of his business partner who recruited him to help launch the famous Southern diner chain.

Waffle House said in a statement that Forkner died Wednesday at age 98. He grew up in DeKalb County just outside Atlanta, the company said, and returned there to sell real estate after serving as an Army intelligence officer during World War II.

Forkner sold a house to his neighbor, Joe Rogers Sr., who worked for the Toddle House restaurant chain. Rogers persuaded Forkner to join him in starting a restaurant of their own. They opened the first 24-hour Waffle House in the Atlanta suburb of Avondale Estates on Labor Day in 1955.

They opened a second location two years later, and they kept building the business over the next two decades.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/2nd-waffle-house-co-founder-dies-weeks-after-partners-death/ar-BBAseXl?ocid=spartanntp.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 28th, 2017 at 3:37:27 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine

Sad, if I heard this yesterday I would have stopped to eat at one on the way home.
The President is a fink.
April 28th, 2017 at 6:55:56 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Sad, if I heard this yesterday I would have stopped to eat at one on the way home.

I am so jealous that you have them in Phoenix. I'm shocked they haven't made it to Vegas and California yet.

Large hash brown scattered, covered, chunked, country (or topped) for me.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 28th, 2017 at 7:22:53 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: rxwine

Probably in drunken brawls in Waffle House parking lots...
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 28th, 2017 at 2:13:37 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: ams288
Probably in drunken brawls in Waffle House parking lots...
Now that's some funny s##t
May 18th, 2017 at 5:53:35 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Roger Ailes dead at 77

He was a bad man. Not surprised to see him drop dead after the events of the past year...
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman