Happy Kwanza everybody.

You're early aren't you?
The President is a fink.
December 25th, 2016 at 9:57:34 AM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Quote: ams288
Beat me to it!

A cashier at the grocery store yesterday said Merry Christmas as I was leaving. I replied "I'm Jewish," (I'm not Jewish, I just wanted to see how she'd react). She said "Well then, Happy Hanukkah!"

Now I'm wondering what she would have said if I told her I was an atheist...

Whenever this issue comes up, I remind myself that winter solstice celebrations predate ALL the monotheistic religions by thousands of years--and that Christianity co-opted the Druidic solstice celebrations to make its brand sell better in Ireland and Scotland. One of the genius aspects of Christian proselytizing was that usually, it didn't forbid or try to outlaw pagan practices--it just repurposed them, making becoming a convert much easier to swallow.

So I celebrate the fact that the season has turned, that the days will be getting longer, and that maybe we've had the last ice storm of the season. I'm not a fan of the cultural "let's all gather together and pretend we can stand one another" or "let's be nice to the downtrodden for one day" garbage. If a certain type of behavior--camaraderie, generosity, fellowship--is desirable on Christmas, then it's equally desirable on March 18th or July 9th or October 2nd.
December 25th, 2016 at 10:41:18 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Trump was cheered when he and his
wife attended a midnight Xmas Eve mass.

DONALD TRUMP WILDLY CHEERED at Christmas Eve Church Service

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 25th, 2016 at 10:53:55 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: TheCesspit
Tomorrow, the same except for the Dallas Cowboys. They can have an off day.
Well, they've earned one, but it seems they're not taking one. Nothing to gain for the rest of regular season, but not resting key players.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
December 25th, 2016 at 10:58:35 AM permalink
stinkingliberal
Quote: Evenbob

I'd post a video of a torchlight rally at Nuremberg, but I'm sure you've already seen it. A quarter million people, WILDLY CHEERING.

(And you didn't see the part of the video where Trump's goons were taking down the names of anybody who WASN'T wildly cheering. Merry Christmas, Bob.)
December 25th, 2016 at 11:02:38 AM permalink
stinkingliberal
Quote: Wizard
Happy Kwanza everybody.

Thanks Wiz, and happy whatever to you. (Xmas, Hanukah, Kwanzaa, Flying Spaghetti Monster Worship Day, Samhain, Warriors-Cavaliers Rematch Day, etc. etc.)

I think that you might be dragged off in handcuffs for waging the nefarious War on Christmas, though. So don't answer that knock on the door in the middle of the night.
December 25th, 2016 at 1:22:36 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob

They were cheering Melania's rack.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 25th, 2016 at 2:09:24 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Wizard
Happy Kwanza everybody.
No way, Kwanza or kwanzaa is an utterly fictitious holiday invented to give blacks a separate identity, just as Jews inflated the minor hanakah holiday to a big deal as a counter-balance to the Christmas season so they could have separate identity Big difference between wishing someone a valid holiday and wishing them an utterly fraudulently concocted one.
You think African tribes had any 'tradition' other than killing each other. They had ORAL languages, no real history and no real way of spelling kwansa or any other word.
December 25th, 2016 at 2:11:35 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Quote: ams288
They were cheering Melania's rack.

No, the cheering was sincere. You just couldn't see the guys with the machine guns and the "CHEER FOR YOUR LEADER!" signs.

EB thinks that it proves something that there were a bunch of people cheering Trump. We've seen that already. There's no doubt that there are millions of stupid, evil, moronic, bigoted, mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging Trumpers out there. They gather together in one location to screech and caper quite often. In EB's fantasy universe, this means that "People love Trump." Well, I guess you could say that "People love Jeffrey Dahmer," too--as long as you don't define "people." (Are Trumpers people? Hard to say.)

But in the spirit of giving appropriate for the season, I'd like to post a link to a video of one of the earliest Trump rallies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=strWmj-vZ88
Page 3 of 6<123456>