Merry Christmas to all!

Page 4 of 6<123456>
December 25th, 2016 at 2:19:18 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Quote: Fleastiff
No way, Kwanza or kwanzaa is an utterly fictitious holiday invented to give blacks a separate identity, just as Jews inflated the minor hanakah holiday to a big deal as a counter-balance to the Christmas season so they could have separate identity Big difference between wishing someone a valid holiday and wishing them an utterly fraudulently concocted one.
You think African tribes had any 'tradition' other than killing each other. They had ORAL languages, no real history and no real way of spelling kwansa or any other word.

At several points in world history, African nations were the most advanced in the world. African tribes, like all indigenous peoples worldwide, celebrated the winter solstice. They, like European societies, had designated holidays for that. To say that they had no traditions other than killing shows a depth of ignorance, not to mention crude and disgusting racism, on your part that is appalling.

Many African tribes had written languages, but to say that a tribe that had only oral language had no history (I assume you meant recorded history) is really, really, really stupid. In fact, in the vast majority of African tribes (and nations), the average person knew MUCH more about the history of his people than, say, an illiterate peasant in a clay-and-wattles hut in France did. I would also venture to say that the average white person today doesn't know jack about history, literate or not (as your post seems to suggest).

It comes from ignorance, of course. If you knew anything about African history, you wouldn't think of Africans as subhuman.
December 25th, 2016 at 4:46:01 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: stinkingliberal
At several points in world history, African nations were the most advanced in the world.
Yes, you need only look at the WSJ's MIllenium Day edition publislhed during all the nonsensical fears of the year 2000. Centers of commerce including items from South America, but no Kwanzaa.
November 25th, 2017 at 3:12:10 AM permalink
Fleastiff
I can't stand this "Christmas Season begins the day after Thanksgiving" trend. Its way to early for Christmas music or bell ringers at supermarket entrances.
Besides. "silver bells" was a nickname for Bloody Mary's thumbscrews, not a musical instrument. And cockle shells were placed on the genitals as instruments of torture. So you can keep your Bing Crosby tunes for December 24th.
November 26th, 2017 at 8:34:17 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Flea your post is an example of fake news.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 26th, 2017 at 10:19:52 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: FrGamble

Looking forward to your PROOF that the Mary Mary Quite Contrary:
does NOT refer to Bloody Mary
does NOT use Silver Bells to refer to thumbscrews
does NOT use cockle shells to refer to their use as instruments of torture

And I do not really think you can call nursery rhymes that are so very old "news".
November 26th, 2017 at 11:06:40 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

"The Mary alluded to in this traditional English nursery rhyme is Mary Tudor, or Bloody Mary, who was the daughter of King Henry VIII. Queen Mary was a staunch Catholic and the garden referred to is an allusion to graveyards which were increasing in size with those who dared to continue to adhere to the Protestant faith. The silver bells and cockle shells were colloquialisms for instruments of torture. The 'maids' were a device to behead people similar to the guillotine."
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 26th, 2017 at 12:02:37 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Fleastiff
Looking forward to your PROOF that the Mary Mary Quite Contrary:

From Wikipedia, source the Oxford Dictionary of Nursery Rhymes:

"No proof has been found that the rhyme was known before the 18th century, while Mary I of England and Mary, Queen of Scots, were contemporaries in the 16th century."

Also from the same post and the only explanation that seems to fit the time when the rhyme was written:

"That it is a religious allegory of Catholicism, with Mary being Mary, the mother of Jesus, bells representing the sanctus bells, the cockleshells the badges of the pilgrims to the shrine of Saint James in Spain (Santiago de Compostela) and pretty maids are nuns, but even within this strand of thought there are differences of opinion as to whether it is lament for the reinstatement of Catholicism or for its persecution."

Notice that I gave my source Wikipedia and also the source that Wikipedia referenced. Also please note that you originally were talking about the Christmas song and I'm not 100% sure that the nursery rhyme and the popular song are connected like you think. Perhaps you could source your information and why you made such a ridiculous claim.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 26th, 2017 at 12:05:44 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
What?!? You mean when people hire maids, they are actually bringing instruments of decapitation into their home?

Look at all of these songs about them. Who knew what they were really singing about?

https://m.ranker.com/list/the-best-songs-with-maid-in-the-title/ranker-music

That is, of course, all sarcasm, and I am sure that when Bing Crosby was singing about silver bells, he was singing about actual silver bells.

As Freud was attributed with saying, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
November 26th, 2017 at 2:04:17 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
From Wikipedia, source the Oxford Dictionary of Nursery Rhymes:

Good ol wiki, constantly edited and
updated by the Church.

Try this:

"During the Marian Persecutions, those who refused to reform were burned at the stake for heresy, a practice used during the Spanish Inquisition. While the English detested the Spanish, Mary’s reign became seen as an English Inquisition earning her a lasting hatred from English Protestants. However, unlike her father King Henry VIII, who, during his reign executed in excess of ten thousand people, Mary I was instrumental in the deaths of less than 300 people.

"In the verse, how does your garden grow, the nursery rhyme alludes to the garden being a cemetery and it growing with the bodies of heretics burned at the stake. Meanwhile, silver bells and cockle shells acted as colloquialisms for instruments of torture, where silver bells were thumbscrews used to crush the thumb between two hard surfaces and cockle shells were torture devices used on the victims genitals."

https://mysendoff.com/2012/11/the-dark-side-of-mary-mary-quite-contrary-2/
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 26th, 2017 at 2:15:06 PM permalink
FrGamble
How does a website about planning your funeral rank ahead of wikipedia?

Also please explain how a nursery rhyme not seen until the 1800s some 300 years after the reign of Mary I refer to her?
Page 4 of 6<123456>