Ghosting someone

Page 1 of 212>
December 24th, 2016 at 10:50:45 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Ghosting is not a new concept. In the 1950's if a date did not go well, you just never called a person or returned their phone calls. It has seemingly taken on a new meaning now that people are surgically attached to their phones. You can't really claim that you didn't get a text that says "Whassup".

Do you think you owe someone a response after a single date? Has technology changed the answer?
December 24th, 2016 at 11:01:14 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I don't recall ever hearing the word. I
didn't know there was a term for
blowing somebody off after a date.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 24th, 2016 at 11:15:08 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
It has seemingly taken on a new meaning now that people are surgically attached to their phones. You can't really claim that you didn't get a text that says "Whassup".

"I get so many emails and texts, if you don't call me to tell me you sent it I'll probably miss it." actual quote from a coworker.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 24th, 2016 at 12:20:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Pacomartin
It has seemingly taken on a new meaning now that people are surgically attached to their phones.

My wife got her first smart phone earlier this
year. She hated it for the first couple months,
now you can't wrestle it away from her. It's
either in her hand or lays right next to her.
Whenever it makes a sound she grabs it
to see what is what. She says she'll never
be without one. I'll never get one, I hate
phones of any kind, always have.

I've said this before. To quote Buckminster
Fuller: Having a telephone is like having
a rope tied to your leg. When somebody
wants you, they just jerk on the rope.

And that's just how it feels.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 24th, 2016 at 1:17:48 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Ghosting is a common phrase used by millenials.

I've ghosted a few people myself. You just ignore their messages/calls until they give up and move on.

In this age of hookup/dating apps, it's very common for a one and done type situation.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 24th, 2016 at 1:23:46 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
According to a currently popular commercial on TV is is considered appropriate to send an ambiguously worded email two days after a date and nonresponse is perfectly proper.

There is little in the 'didn't get it' routine but a good deal more opportunity of 'didn't see it in the flood of emails' excuse.

Teen age girls are rarely seen without a pink phone in a pocket of tight jeans or holstered at their waist. Women seem to be actually ON the phone while shopping, at a pharmacy counter, at a check out counter, etc. SMS (in Europe) and TEXTING (in the USA) seem to be primary modes of communication and nasty responses from females are on the rise. Ofcourse autocomplete adds to humorous banter (Crockett when Cronkite was intended).

There has sort of developed a "Japanese Yes" situation. It means "I'm listening' or 'I hear you' it does NOT mean 'agreement'. So receipt of an email suggesting a time and place to meet becomes a less than certain situation when "K" means more "Received and on my list but not necessarily a committment". No reponse at all is quite common these days and often carries an implicit "it was good but it was one night so get over it" message.
December 24th, 2016 at 2:00:45 PM permalink
Evenbob
I'm proud that I've never sent a text
or gotten one, don't know how to
do it and never seen one. I don't have
a phone that's turned on. People who
know me can send an email, that's it.
If somebody dies at 2am, they'll be
just as dead at noon, I'll deal with
it then. No need to wake me up
over it.
December 24th, 2016 at 7:48:09 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
I'm proud that I've never sent a text
or gotten one, don't know how to
do it and never seen one.

Sounds like someone in 1925 bragging that they never used a phone and if someone wants them they can send a letter.
The President is a fink.
December 24th, 2016 at 8:20:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: AZDuffman
Sounds like someone in 1925 bragging that they never used a phone and if someone wants them they can send a letter.

An email, same thing. That's the only way
to contact me.
December 25th, 2016 at 6:56:46 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
EB is easier to reach than Bob Dylan
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
Page 1 of 212>