A merry Christmas in Trumpland

Page 1 of 212>
December 25th, 2016 at 10:53:22 AM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Interesting article on the AP wire. Seems a reporter traveled to a rural county in Kentucky that is the poorest in the state, has the highest unemployment, and voted 82% for Trump. The reporter interviewed several residents. One woman said that her husband had been able to get treatments for severe hepatitis thanks to Obamacare and was now scared to death that they would lose their healthcare. When asked, she said that both she and her husband had voted for Trump. When asked about Trump's and Republicans' avowal to crush Obamacare, she said, "I really didn't think he'd do it."

A second person said that he didn't believe anything Trump said but "voted for him anyway." A third person said that she didn't see how it was possible that Trump could bring back coal mining jobs but voted for him "because things needed to be shaken up." This theme was repeated as the reporter talked to several other residents--they thought that Trump was a liar and a fraud, or that he wouldn't really do the things he said he would, so it was all OK---and they voted for him.

This is a pretty good example of idiots getting what they deserve, but it's a shame that the votes of the idiots will affect so many other people. What Trumpers really, really don't understand--on a basic, gut level--is how much fear the things that Trump, Trumpers, and Republicans have been saying have generated. Certainly, many of the alt-righties in their tighty-whities REJOICE in the fact that all the darkies and MOOOZLEEMS and Spics and bitches (etc.; non-old-white-men) are scared.

It's a shame that it's come to this, but the best hope for the country now is that the Republican-Trump honeymoon will be very, very short and they'll disintegrate into bickering and sniping. There's precedent for this, in that evil dictatorships tend to have a short half-life, and the ones that do last all have strong, clever leaders--and Trump is anything but strong or clever.

This is EvenBob's cue to come on in and shout that none of this matters, that Hillary is a bitch who sent emails and that Obama is a MOOZLEEM darkie who has been singlehandedly destroying the country for eight years. If we're REAL lucky, his assertions will be "backed up" by a citation from an alt-loony tighty righty website. All I can say is: Merry Christmas, Bob. I sincerely hope that you aren't hurt by Trump and the Republicans over the next few years. I wouldn't wish that on a dog.

And to the rest of us: resist. Fight the Republicans in any and every way. Mentally, consign Washington to the fetid swamp that it is and work for what's right on the state and local levels. Ultimately, they can't win. Evil will be defeated, but it's our task to ensure that as few people are hurt in the process as possible. Identify those people who will be cut off at the knees by the policies of a gang of oil company oligarchs led by a psychotic narcissist and do what you can to help them.

Remember, in twenty years, "Republican" will be as pejorative a term as "Nazi." We have to live through the interval between now and then. (Though those Kentucky coal miners might not manage to do that.) Merry Christmas, happy holidays, good luck, and chin up, everybody.
December 25th, 2016 at 11:58:42 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
No, it's Christmas Day. Give it a break and get a life.
The President is a fink.
December 25th, 2016 at 12:27:42 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Why not link the story you cite to your post?
December 25th, 2016 at 1:59:00 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Quote: RonC
Why not link the story you cite to your post?

Well, if you think I'm lying about the story, I use the EvenBob defense. "Everybody knows it."

Here are a few stories that are about the same location and topic. I don't believe any one of them is the exact same story I read a few days ago, but it was on the national wire so there may be many different versions of it out there, abridged or not.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/politics/2016/11/12/trump-victory-worries-ky-medicaid-advocates/93550342/
http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/11/19/502580120/in-depressed-rural-kentucky-worries-mount-over-medicaid-cutbacks
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/11/20/1602221/-Clay-County-KY-a-window-into-the-devastation-of-Trump

This MIGHT be the one I read. Note the vacuous, bovine look on the face of the Trumper idiot who is bemoaning the impending disaster that she helped to create.

http://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2016/12/13/13848794/kentucky-obamacare-trump

Of course, these are all stinking liberal websites and Kentucky is actually a paradise on earth, and will become even more so after Trump takes office. And don't forget, Hillary sent emails!
December 25th, 2016 at 2:03:05 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Quote: AZDuffman
No, it's Christmas Day. Give it a break and get a life.

My family and I celebrated Christmas already a couple of days ago, and I already have a life; I don't need to get another one.

And DuffyBoy, if you don't have medical care, it doesn't matter much whether it's Christmas Day or not. People die for lack of medical care when evil governments take it away--even on Christmas Day. While The Donald preened in front of his supporters in church today, millions of people wondered whether they'd have their health care destroyed.

In point of fact, Duffy, Christmas is precisely the time when we should care the most about such things.
December 25th, 2016 at 3:04:54 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: stinkingliberal
Well, if you think I'm lying about the story, I use the EvenBob defense. "Everybody knows it."

Why are you so defensive?

I just wanted to read the article.
December 25th, 2016 at 3:10:54 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Quote: RonC
Why are you so defensive?

I just wanted to read the article.

The fourth one that I linked to is not the exact same article, but it's close enough. The most interesting takeaway IMHO is that the government of Kentucky LIED to its residents about their healthcare plans, saying that they weren't based on Obamacare when they actually were. Apparently, many people, believing that lie, didn't think that the Trump/Republican destruction of the ACA would affect them. Surprise!
December 26th, 2016 at 8:29:50 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Is it time to really start worrying about Trump's tweets? He can't really actually be the one tweeting this stuff?!? He needs to either stop or give his account to someone else, this stuff is just scary, embarrassing, and worrisome.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 26th, 2016 at 8:55:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Is it time to really start worrying about Trump's tweets?

Settle down, are priests allowed to take
Xanax? It'll be OK, I promise. Just because
he likes Israel, you don't have to hate him.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 26th, 2016 at 9:43:00 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Evenbob
Settle down, are priests allowed to take
Xanax? It'll be OK, I promise. Just because
he likes Israel, you don't have to hate him.

FrGamble is being completely sensible. Unlike you.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 1 of 212>