Police can shoot dog, mail carrier can't?

Page 1 of 212>
December 28th, 2016 at 12:24:20 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
Federal court rules dogs can be shot if they bark,move when officer enters home stemming from controversial Michigan case

I was thinking of Face when I read that. Hey, will USPS, let you blow the brains out of a barking dog you encounter in the course of trying to deliver mail? 

Perhaps the mail carrier is less threatened by dogs? Hard to believe. Don't see why you can't apply same logic. I guess they expect you to run faster than a dog, if necessary.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/court-rules-dogs-shot-bark-police-enter-home-article-1.2926772
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 28th, 2016 at 12:26:10 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
I was thinking of Face when I read that. Hey, will USPS, let you blow the brains out of a barking dog you encounter in the course of trying to deliver mail? 

For some reason, certain scumbag cops are getting off on shooting people's dogs. Not a good thing.
The President is a fink.
December 28th, 2016 at 2:18:16 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Yet the police can sick their canine units on people. Aren't canine units considered members of the force?

I wonder how many years a citizen would get for shooting a police dog charging them?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 28th, 2016 at 2:31:19 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
So pretty much police can kill any dog that's alive?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 28th, 2016 at 3:20:03 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: petroglyph
Yet the police can sick their canine units on people. Aren't canine units considered members of the force?

I wonder how many years a citizen would get for shooting a police dog charging them?

The dogs the cops shoot are often not threatening at all. It is a tough guy thing.
The President is a fink.
December 28th, 2016 at 4:26:10 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: rxwine

Perhaps the mail carrier is less threatened by dogs? Hard to believe. Don't see why you can't apply same logic. I guess they expect you to run faster than a dog, if necessary.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/court-rules-dogs-shot-bark-police-enter-home-article-1.2926772

My only argument is that if attacked, I can afford to dedicate 100% of my attention to it. 5-0 may be under wayyy different circumstances where attention to the dog means trouble.

Regardless, this sounds like it'll be a mess
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
December 28th, 2016 at 8:46:29 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
K9 Lives Matter
December 29th, 2016 at 3:04:40 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
*If* extreme measures like swat teams are called for, then those cops cannot tolerate agitated dogs - don't have to be attacking dogs. The distraction would be a good way to get yourself shot.

Having said that, the militarization of police has developed into a problem and they are using swat teams when they aren't called for. It's a case of "if you have them, you need to use them" or somebody will take them away.

And, yes, I think sometimes the dogs are shot for grins.

A notorious case:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berwyn_Heights,_Maryland_mayor's_residence_drug_raid
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 29th, 2016 at 4:33:03 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
It seems strange and i don't entirely agree with viewing K9 as "an officer", though I can understand an increased penalty for damage to one if for no other reason than the cost of the extensive training.

But if the precidence is set that dogs=people when it comes to police interactions, then it's a two way street, period.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
December 29th, 2016 at 2:01:12 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: odiousgambit
*If* extreme measures like swat teams are called for, then those cops cannot tolerate agitated dogs - don't have to be attacking dogs. The distraction would be a good way to get yourself shot.

Having said that, the militarization of police has developed into a problem and they are using swat teams when they aren't called for. It's a case of "if you have them, you need to use them" or somebody will take them away.

Yes, and thank-you American drug culture. I did not say "war on drugs" because I am not letting things off that easy. But do think about it. What are most of these no-knock and other raids all about? A few are terror suspects. Most are drugs.
The President is a fink.
Page 1 of 212>