Passengers (movie)

Page 1 of 212>
December 31st, 2016 at 7:37:06 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Before yesterday, the last movie I fell asleep in was The Force Awakens. Fast forward to yesterday and the family and I went to see The Rogue One. We arrived 15 minutes early so I watched about that much time of Passengers in another cinema. It was in 3-D and I didn't have the glasses. Getting back to Star Wars, in retrospect, I probably should have done some homework on the plot and characters before. Suffice it to say I felt like I had about 20 characters and 5 plots thrown at me in the first 15 minutes. Much like a Windows computer, when my brain has too much information to process too quickly, it crashes. In this case, I feel asleep, again.

I woke up about 20 minutes later and realized I was now really lost. So, I was kind of intrigued by Passengers so excused myself and went to another showing of that in yet another cinema. There are some movies, like the English Patient, where I say "I should have liked it, but I didn't." Passengers is the opposite. It was totally corny and Disneyfied, but I got into the story and was entertained. Very interesting plot, which they could have done so much more with. One, and then a second passenger, wake up 90 years too early from hibernation on a space flight lasting 120 years.

My problem with the movie was that it seemed to put too much emphasis on star power, special effects, and a very heavy musical score. There was none of the stillness of space you find in a movie like 2001. Lots of little things too. Like the main male character, played by Chris Pratt was very well built. The kind of muscles that come from lifting weights two hours a day. However, never once in the movie was he seen lifting. In fact the year by himself he spent mostly killing time by drinking. Although, I admit I missed a couple segments of the movie.

My rating on a 0 to 10 scale is a 6.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 31st, 2016 at 8:44:04 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
Very interesting plot, which they could have done so much more with. One, and then a second passenger, wake up 90 years too early from hibernation on a space flight lasting 120 years.

Rotten Tomatoes counts reviews as Fresh: 60 and Rotten: 130
Disappointing at best, problematic at worst. -Britton Peele

Earning $50 milion in ten days is not a good return for a movie with a budget over $100 million. Too bad for Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence.
December 31st, 2016 at 10:16:29 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Getting back to Star Wars, in retrospect, I probably should have done some homework on the plot and characters before.

The plot is dominated by brand new characters. I fail to see how you can prepare for that.

So you missed another great Star Wars movie. Why not just admit it: you are a Star Wars hater? Not a George Lucas hater, which is perfectly respectable after his horrid prequels.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 31st, 2016 at 12:34:12 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Nareed

So you missed another great Star Wars movie.

An oxymoron. I have yet to see an entire
SW movie since the 80's. They bore me
to sleep, just like the Wiz. It's all CG crap,
which I hate.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 31st, 2016 at 4:14:59 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Nareed
Why not just admit it: you are a Star Wars hater?

You know, maybe you're right. I have tried to like Star Wars almost my entire life. The first one came out when I was 12 and I must admit I liked it at the time, but didn't love it. Same as the second one (to be released). However, I haven't really liked one since. I'm not sure if it the movies that changed or me. Probably some combination.

Somehow I feel it would be unpatriotic or something to not like Star Wars. Then again, I don't care for our National Anthem, the design of the flag, the design of the money, and I've questioned whether the civil war was worth fighting over.

Yes, Nareed, that is a very astute observation. Something to chew on.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 31st, 2016 at 4:23:34 PM permalink
Evenbob
You know, maybe you're right. I have tried to like Star Wars almost my entire life. .

Ditto, never saw the greatness of it.
I love Indiana Jones, though, the
other Harrison Ford vehicle. It's
great fun, where SW is a muddled
mess most of the time.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 31st, 2016 at 6:06:32 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Somehow I feel it would be unpatriotic or something to not like Star Wars.

The first three movies were very entertaining, but I always felt that Blade Runner was not just entertaining, but a "great work of art".

I saw only the first of the next three films, and it made blood come out of my eyes and ears it was so horrific.
December 31st, 2016 at 6:41:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Pacomartin
I saw only the first of the next three films, and it made blood come out of my eyes and ears it was so horrific.

They take themselves way too seriously.
It's just all made up nonsense to start
with, why make it so complicated. I
don't want to work to follow a movie,
it puts me to sleep, like the Wiz. Why
people like them will always be a
mystery to me.
December 31st, 2016 at 7:27:02 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: Evenbob
They take themselves way too seriously.
It's just all made up nonsense to start
with, why make it so complicated....

just like all the religions of the world.

ba dum tsss
January 1st, 2017 at 7:12:25 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Back to Passengers:

I think the movie would have been much better had it started with Jennifer Lawrence's character waking up. Have her find Chris Pratt having already been there awake for a year.

Then we, the audience, could find out he was the one who woke her up when she does. I think that would have been a more satisfying reveal.

As it stands, I don't think the movie ever really justified Chris Pratt's action in doing that...
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
Page 1 of 212>