Lithium Batteries

January 18th, 2013 at 12:31:27 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Short but interesting article.

I find you don't easily know what kind of battery you have with a new device, and you need to know. As is said in the article, nickel-cadmium batteries really need to be totally drained, very frequently if you ask me. In fact one of my pet peeves was the instructions with nickel-cadmium cordless phones that always said to keep the phone in the charger when not in use. Wrong! Of course that was just what they were saying to deal with people who had phones with dying batteries, bad advice causing it in the first place notwithstanding.

I keep treating my stuff like it was of the nickel-cadmium type, not knowing what I have in new phones and cell phones.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/17/technology/boeing-battery/index.html?iid=Lead
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 18th, 2013 at 1:18:06 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Money
The automakers have been working on the fire problem by using lithium ion batteries with a slightly different chemical makeup, said Laslau, one that is a bit more expensive and provides a bit less power but is more stable. They have have also employed better electrical wiring and systems to manage the battery.

That sentence is disturbing.
January 18th, 2013 at 9:11:50 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
You have to know which type of battery you are dealing with.
One pilot who lost his electronics thought he would use the battery to navigate to the airfield and also to keep sufficient cabin lighting so the passengers did not become alarmed. He felt when the battery got weak, he would shed the lighting load. Unfortunately it was the type of battery that didn't give much warning by going weak before failing.

Lightweight? Whipping air into the mashed potatoes will make the galley lighter. Using lithium will make the battery lighter. Somehow the fire risk seems important though. Why do they not think of it first?
January 19th, 2013 at 6:38:16 PM permalink
98Clubs
Threads: 2
Paco, it should be disturbing, chasing $$$ again rather than quality... it never stops.
There are four things certain in life... Death, Taxes, the Resistance to them, and Stupidity.
January 19th, 2013 at 6:45:34 PM permalink
98Clubs
Threads: 2
Separately, I really don't like Li-Ion's, they're fragile. Drop one one and throw it out. The semi-crystalline structure itself is fragile. Using a dropped Li-Ion battery is risking a malfunction, and or fire. Most likely that bad cell discharges rapidly, and/or won't hold a charge. IIRC the "better" formula is Lithium Iron Phosphate, that has a little less voltage and a little less maximum discharge. But one can handle them normally, even the occasional accidental drop.

EDITTED to correct the "safer" Li cell from Sulfate to Phosphate.
There are four things certain in life... Death, Taxes, the Resistance to them, and Stupidity.
December 10th, 2023 at 4:57:13 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I hope some day, all battery makers use some sort of universal standard or a universal standard depending on the variation of battery being used. I don't know how many times I've read about different charging recommendations.

Quote:
Almost all electric vehicles have software that will curtail fast charge speeds above 80% state of charge. In fact, it’s usually recommended to switch to a level 2 charger for the last 20%, as it may be as quick - or quicker.

A level 2 charger, even a public one, is often cheaper, too.
In each different EV model, software and battery limitations control how fast the car can charge. Charge speed is also dependent on temperature, state of charge, and even battery age.
It’s still difficult to quantify precisely how much routine fast charging affects battery health long term – 5, 10, 20 years – but it’s fine in small doses.
EV batteries have a lot of software and hardware to protect them and ensure they are the right temperature before accepting high voltage to avoid lithium plating.

https://www.recurrentauto.com/research/impacts-of-fast-charging
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?