Reverend Jim Ignatowski

Page 2 of 4<1234>
January 7th, 2017 at 9:21:19 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
The other black actor is a character from a sitcom that aired on CBS from February 8, 1974 to August 1, 1979. Pushing age 70 he is still a working comedian.

Still have no idea who these people are.
I think the woman with the knife was on
an all woman show, I don't remember
which one. I vaguely remember the
Muppet on a Time Mag cover, or TV
Guide. Never liked puppets or cartoon
adult shows. I've seen a lot of the
Simpsons over the years, but not in the
last 10 years at all. It all seemed the same
after awhile.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 7th, 2017 at 9:54:24 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239

Elmo is a boy.

Okay, that makes sense. Then who was the female Muppet who was added about 15 years ago?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 7th, 2017 at 10:22:39 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Betty Lou was created in 1969, but about 23 years ago after Jim Henson died, her role was radically increased because of the lack of good female characters. Zoe was created at the same time.

Abby Cadabby was introduced about 10 years ago specifically to be a 3 year old girl to counterbalance Elmo.

Alice Snuffleupagus , Arlene Frantic, The Countess (The Count's girlfriend who acts like Marlene Dietrich) Clementine, are other examples of female muppets on Sesame Street.

Miss Piggy appeared on the "Muppets Show" in 13 September 1976, but she is not a Sesame Street character.
January 8th, 2017 at 12:25:00 AM permalink
Evenbob
As somebody who was an adult when
the Muppets started, I have to confess,
I never got it. I always thought they
were silly, but I've never liked puppets.
I thought Howdy Doody was evil
incarnate, he scared the crap out of
me. Ditto for Charlie McCarthy. Ick..

What's really strange is, Charlie was
the most popular on his radio show.
A radio show about a guy who throws
his voice into a wooden dummy. How
ridiculous can you get. The effect is
totally lost if you can't see him actually
doing it. Was America really that gullible?
Embarrassing.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 8th, 2017 at 3:44:52 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Evenbob
I thought Howdy Doody was evil
incarnate, he scared the crap out of
me. Ditto for Charlie McCarthy

This is related to Coulrophobia - fear of clowns. I expect you were exposed to these when too young and couldn't understand why the other kids liked them, or why the adults thought you would like them. Brief exposure is also part of it, I think.

I'm bringing this up too often, but c-phobia has a fascination for me because I don't have it, I just wasn't exposed to clowns when young. Wikipedia page says the "uncanny valley" effect is a similar phenomenon. Didn't we discuss that here? If not, check it out. I just read an article on the newest in-home robots that didn't mention the effect and for some of the ideas I could see being promoted needed this mention.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 8th, 2017 at 3:53:02 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Howdy Doody, Mickey Mouse Show, Muppets or any other such silly stuff.... all foolish.
Three Stooges.... No... The Early Show was on at the same time and was often a good movie.
Later... I had to endure Dora the Explorer ... agony.
Then I had to enfure the constant bickering of the Real Housewives of OC and the Spoiled Brats of The OC.

Its all been nonsense to me.
January 8th, 2017 at 9:09:04 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Fleastiff
Howdy Doody, Mickey Mouse Show, Muppets or any other such silly stuff.... all foolish.
Three Stooges.... No... The Early Show was on at the same time and was often a good movie.
Later... I had to endure Dora the Explorer ... agony.
Then I had to enfure the constant bickering of the Real Housewives of OC and the Spoiled Brats of The OC.

Its all been nonsense to me.

I heard Aaron Paul was not originally part of the multi season Breaking Bad story arc, was only supposed to be in season 1, but his acting won over the creator and writers
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 8th, 2017 at 11:26:52 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: odiousgambit
This is related to Coulrophobia - fear of clowns. I expect you were exposed to these when too young and couldn't understand why the other kids liked them,

There was a lot of that crap in the 50's.
Howdy Doody had a scary clown
named Clarabell who never talked.
There was a Bozo the Clown show.

Clarabell and Bozo, tell me this isn't
scary.

January 8th, 2017 at 5:59:39 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Zoe was created at the same time.

I think Zoe was the one I was thinking of. Not sure how big of a character she is, because I haven't watched Sesame Street in about 45 years, but I can recall her addition making the news. At least I think it was Zoe.

Speaking of Sesame Street, I can play this song on the Melodica.

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 9th, 2017 at 9:02:25 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89

Hard to believe that the Reverend Jim Ignatowski was in only a single episode in series #1 of Taxi. He starred in 15 of 24 episodes in season 2, then every episode for the final three seasons.

Still one of the greatest TV creations of all time...

My favorite bit was when Jim had to take the driver's license exam:

Andy Kaufman as "Latka Gravas" also took a minor character from the same show and turned it into a "career".

Page 2 of 4<1234>