How long before Republicans decide to redistribute wealth?

Page 2 of 2<12
January 9th, 2017 at 3:08:44 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I realize China is not part of NAFTA. I thought I could bring up some of those trade issues, too.

We are losing with NAFTA and free trade.

We are losing with China and trade barriers.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 9th, 2017 at 3:14:22 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Dalex64
I realize China is not part of NAFTA. I thought I could bring up some of those trade issues, too.

Ok. How much US sovereign debt do Chinese banks and investors hold?

Quote:
We are losing with NAFTA and free trade.

Not so simple: http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/naftas-impact-u-s-economy-facts/
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 9th, 2017 at 4:53:22 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Dalex64
So, if you have free trade, jobs go to the countries with the lower costs.

If you enact trade tarrifs, you raise prices, put people out of work, and jobs end up in the countries with the lower costs.

If you use automation, you lower costs and put people out of work.

If you don't use automation, you put a lot of people to work in the contries with the lower costs.

Its not that simple
The company I arrange travel for has manufacturing facilities all over the planet producing high end engines and power generators
They are a US based company doing business on national and international level. They sell to international govts, companies and domestic companies
High end manufacturing jobs stay in the USA
Low end manufacturing job go to Mexico and China
R and D development in the USA and India
Its a massive company with employees in just about every major country on the planet
They employ a lot of US workers because they have the freedom to do business to compete against other high tech engine manufacturing companies based in Europe.
These European companies do business the same way. High end manufacturing in Europe, low end in Mexico and China, R and D in India and Europe
You put hand cuffs on the US company providing a ton of high end jobs in the US, they go out of business and the European company gets all the business
American manufacturing companies need freedom to compete against international manufacturers
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
Page 2 of 2<12