A tree falls in the forest

January 9th, 2017 at 9:53:54 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
The tree you could drive your car through has fallen. 137 years.

Always wanted my family to go there and drive the station wagon through it when I first heard about it. Pretty sure they stopped doing that , but what year I don't know.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-tunnel-tree-falls-california-storms-20170109-story.html
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 9th, 2017 at 1:24:01 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Was someone there to hear it? ;)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 9th, 2017 at 2:25:23 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
If so, they were very cold and wet and I hope not taking any shelter inside the tree. Driving through it was halted mainly because cars got wider and it became a park and photograph site.
There is still that tree that has been on its side and used to house a stable for the cavalry long ago.

Linemen who 'top' those trees near transmission towers are extremely highly paid and are coveted jobs in such rural areas.
January 9th, 2017 at 2:53:16 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Fleastiff
Linemen who 'top' those trees near transmission towers are extremely highly paid
pfft, all I ever got was scale. But there are certainly moments of fear that are hard to value.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 9th, 2017 at 3:03:02 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
Quote: petroglyph
pfft, all I ever got was scale. But there are certainly moments of fear that are hard to value.

Once upon a time 1970 I think, I worked for AT&T underground hardened nuclear site. They put a radio tower up top. Lots of steel on the ground, Texas non-union crew. Got structure about 10 feet high. It was raining that morning. Steel in driveway so cars had to drive up grass.
One car got stuck, steel workers pushed up up the hill. HaHa Union reps in that car. Go home scabs.
I asked how come they just showed up now. Scabs had been there 3 weeks sorting steel, erecting base, etc. Rep told me pay increased above 10 feet. HAHAHA
January 9th, 2017 at 5:24:38 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
We have an old home movie of my dad driving us through that tree in our old VW square-back.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 9th, 2017 at 5:51:39 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Cheer up Buckaroos! There are other drive thru trees:

January 9th, 2017 at 8:01:11 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
About six hours south of the tree in Legget, CA are the Underground home and gardens in Fresno. An Italian immigrant got gypped in a land deal and didn't know he couldn't really farm that rock hard clay much less do it at 108 degrees, so he dug underground and after his wife left him he just kept digging and digging. A constant cool breeze, seven fruits from one tree, skylights, etc. Can't drive thru it anymore... cars are wider than his donkey cart was.

Legget is in Mendocino County which is more popularly known as Spendocino County since only rich pot farmers can afford the prices there. Wandering around the redwoods can be fun but if someone emerges from the foliage and suggests you go in another direction, don't argue, particularly if he is cradling an AK-47.