History factoids which are largely unknown

Page 2 of 3<123>
January 19th, 2017 at 12:15:50 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I would also give him a pass on CFC's. This was back in the day when kids were routinely lined up for DDT dusting...
January 19th, 2017 at 12:37:50 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
A large part of the problem with CFCs was their use in plastics, Styrofoam, and as a propellant for aerosol cans (hairspray, paint, deodorant, etc.)

While the long term effects weren't known, you had to assume a molecule containing chlorine and fluorine should prove quite damaging when it decayed. We were perfectly aware back then of what chlorine and fluorine did.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 19th, 2017 at 12:43:03 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Nareed
A large part of the problem with CFCs was their use in plastics, Styrofoam, and as a propellant for aerosol cans (hairspray, paint, deodorant, etc.)

While the long term effects weren't known, you had to assume a molecule containing chlorine and fluorine should prove quite damaging when it decayed. We were perfectly aware back then of what chlorine and fluorine did.

I've seen what sodium and chlorine can do, but I have salt in my cooking.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
January 19th, 2017 at 12:55:18 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: TheCesspit

There are salt formations and deposits millions of years old.

You also don't dump tons of salt in the atmosphere every day.

Fluorine, BTW, is the most potent oxidizer in the planet. It can even oxidize oxygen. Any wonder it pulls apart O3 molecules?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 19th, 2017 at 6:56:52 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: TheCesspit

The Hindenberg showed what hydrogen and oxygen can do, but we all drink water and even swim in it.
January 19th, 2017 at 7:37:22 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: JimRockford
. If you were a child in the US in the 60s you probably experienced lead levels in your blood that would be called elevated today.?

I lived in the 10th largest city at that time, and I just don't remember traffic the way it is today, except in the downtown area which was only a couple blocks in any direction.

Seemed like our busiest road required double lanes (not 4 or 6 each way), and I don't remember traffic jams either.

But my memory could be faulty because of all that lead!!!

Chances are I was in more danger from lead paint on the walls in the house. Although my dad didn't let it get old or chipped.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 19th, 2017 at 9:17:20 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Lead fumes, lead paint, leaded vegetables, leaded soil. I think the leaded paint scaremongering was just a way to allow tenants to sue their landlords and wind up with the paint remediation companies owning the home. Much the same way cops own all the meth remdiation companies and wind up owning the former crack houses.
January 19th, 2017 at 9:23:38 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Pretty sure it's bad for children's brains while they are developing. Apparently, not so dangerous for adults in the same amount of exposure.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 19th, 2017 at 11:40:53 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Fleastiff
The Hindenberg showed what hydrogen and oxygen can do, but we all drink water and even swim in it.

Indeed. What the base elements are has less to do with the properties of the molecules and the chemicals that they make up. It's like complaints about mercury in vaccines.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
January 20th, 2017 at 7:15:19 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: Nareed

The HFCs and HCFCs being used as replacements contain Fl and or Cl. It is my understanding that the problem with CFCs is that they are so stable that they don't break down until they encounter high energy photons in the stratosphere. I'm no chemist, but it this seems like a prety obscure mechanism. Is it fair to expect a scientist to anticipate it in 1930? I don't think anyone suggested the idea of ozone depletion until we started flying jets in the stratosphere.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
Page 2 of 3<123>