Poll
7 votes (100%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)

7 members have voted

January 22nd, 2017 at 9:19:46 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I'm curious how many people here have read 1984.

While it is fiction, the methods to control people depicted in it are quite realistic. So many were employed by the Soviets, the Nazis and assorted communist parties, that the novel can be used as a manual for running a totalitarian or authoritarian state.

The novel itself is emotionally draining, and thus hard to re-read.

Orwell's other well-known work, Animal Farm, is a parable, quite literal, of the evolution of a Communist country beginning shortly before a revolution. While it was modeled on the USSR, much of it played again in other countries.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 22nd, 2017 at 9:44:13 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I think I've read Animal Farm and I know I've watched it, both way back in school. I do remember searching it out again, and reading sections in research or as offerings in forums.

Never read 1984, though it feels like I have what with all its mention. Why do you call it "emotionally draining, thus hard to read"? That's quite the statement, and has my interest piqued.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 22nd, 2017 at 10:03:25 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
I remember it as something important to read but not necessarily easily readable. I read tons of books but some take me much longer than others. A book that draws my attention--it can be history, fiction, non-fiction, whatever--is usually read within days. I remember, for example, reading "The Thorn Birds" (almost 700 pages) sitting twenty feet off the ground on a large tree limb in less than a full day. That kind of thing has happened with a myriad of titles from different genres.

1984 was not one of them. I found it important and good, but not riveting enough to read in a day or two. I probably need to re-read it at this point, it has been a while since I read it. I could find my experience altogether different because we all change a little bit every day!!
January 22nd, 2017 at 10:05:40 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Face
I thinkWhy do you call it "emotionally draining, thus hard to read"? That's quite the statement, and has my interest piqued.

Hard to re-read.

It depicts accurately life under a totalitarian regime. Thus it shows the full-fledged oppression used, every moment of every day. There are scenes of torture, too. And the whole thing transpires against a background of squalor vividly described.

On first reading the interest in what's going on carries you through. On re-reading it can't, because you already know what happens.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 22nd, 2017 at 10:16:11 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face
I think I've read Animal Farm and I know I've watched it, both way back in school. I do remember searching it out again, and reading sections in research or as offerings in forums.

"Animal Farm" was my favorite read from high school. So much of it is so true to how crowds follow. I have often said how the global warming believers will shout about "just listen to the scientists!" then just try to drown out all debate. This goes to the highest levels with pols in places like CA trying to make it up to criminal to even deny the existence of global warming.

Same thing for people who believe government has their best interests at heart as freedoms are taken away.
The President is a fink.
January 22nd, 2017 at 10:16:38 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Nareed
I'm curious how many people here have read 1984.

I read it
The movie is real good too
Shot in 1984 on some of the actual dates in the diary at some of the same locations described in the book
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 22nd, 2017 at 11:15:58 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Nareed

It depicts accurately life under a totalitarian regime. Thus it shows the full-fledged oppression used, every moment of every day.

Sounds like the Obama regime. Forcing people
to get Obamacare, fining them if they don't.
Lying to us, saying we can keep our doctors
and plans, just to trick us. Flooding the open
borders with unwanted illegals who come
here to make us even worse off by sucking
the welfare system dry.

1984=Obama, that's very clear now.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 22nd, 2017 at 11:48:06 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
Sounds like the Obama regime. Forcing people
to get Obamacare, fining them if they don't.
Lying to us, saying we can keep our doctors
and plans, just to trick us. Flooding the open
borders with unwanted illegals who come
here to make us even worse off by sucking
the welfare system dry.

1984=Obama, that's very clear now.

Don't forget being in a constant state of war.
The President is a fink.
January 22nd, 2017 at 12:20:04 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Too me
drinking the 1984 Kool-Aid is believing everything your leader says
To me, Clinton and Obama are far from perfect.
Therefore I don't drink the 1984 Kool-Aid
but
some conservatives are in total lock step on everything their leader, Trump, says
That, is gulping the 1984 Kool-Aid :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 22nd, 2017 at 1:40:01 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
For about 4 years or so I went on binge, stopped reading anything but what were deemed must-read classics, or at least on those many lists. I realize I get Brave New World mixed up with 1984. But like I said, it's been awhile since I read either.

I even found a contrast page between the two. (the internets has near everything)

http://www.pensnest.co.uk/A-Level%20Pages/mod5compare.html
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 1 of 61234>Last »