7 votes (100%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)

7 members have voted

January 23rd, 2017 at 2:07:09 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
I liked Logan's Run. Although I think it is only movie script, not a book, I enjoyed "Brazil".

But do you have a 27B/6?

I have seen it a few times, but I find it too bizarre for my taste.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 24th, 2017 at 2:46:02 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
BTW, Paco, would you classify H.G. Welles' "The Time Machine" as a dystopian novel?

Dystopian literature is a genre of fictional writing used to explore social and political structures in 'a dark, nightmare world.'

By that definition, "The Time Machine" is certainly a dystopian novel. But then, so would a work about a zombie apocalypse.

A more common definition dystopia is sometimes defined as a society characterized by poverty, squalor or oppression, like the Brazilian Netflix series 3%.

By this definition "Time Machine" is not a dystopian novel. But then "Logan's Run" is not about a world of poverty and squalor. And LR is usually considered dystopian,

I didn't include "The Time Machine" with The Trial, Brave New World, or 1984 as a prime examples of early dystopian fiction.
January 24th, 2017 at 6:41:04 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
By that definition, "The Time Machine" is certainly a dystopian novel. But then, so would a work about a zombie apocalypse.

The old movie (60s, 70s?) was pretty good, and they did a good job connecting the air attack sirens with the far future. But they portrayed the Morlocks as entirely savage. In the book they are more like degenerate people (and so are the Eloi, really).

I'd call one group holding absolute power over another, who live pointless lives to boot, dystopian even if the Morlocks were vegan.

Quote:
But then "Logan's Run" is not about a world of poverty and squalor.

At the risk of sounding like a different member of this board, have you considered spiritual squalor?
January 24th, 2017 at 9:12:22 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
THX1138
January 24th, 2017 at 9:19:18 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
1984 is a best seller again
Due to Trump, people now have to research double speak regarding alternative facts that are in reality a fantasy
lol

George Orwell’s ‘1984’ surges in sales after ‘alternative facts’ comment
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/article128367114.html
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 24th, 2017 at 9:43:24 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: terapined
1984 is a best seller again
Due to Trump, people now have to research double speak regarding alternative facts that are in reality a fantasy
lol

Maybe if it had sold well before, we wouldn't have Golden Boy Trump where he is.

I've heard it's included in high school English curricula in the US. It should be taught in History class.
January 25th, 2017 at 1:42:43 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Still gets me teary eyed. Speech made June 12, 1987. I wonder if President Trump will honor the 30th anniversary of this speech?

We welcome change and openness; for we believe that freedom and security go together, that the advance of human liberty can only strengthen the cause of world peace. There is one sign the Soviets can make that would be unmistakable, that would advance dramatically the cause of freedom and peace. General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization, come here to this gate. Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate. Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!

"As I looked out a moment ago from the Reichstag, that embodiment of German unity, I noticed words crudely spray-painted upon the wall, perhaps by a young Berliner, 'This wall will fall. Beliefs become reality.' Yes, across Europe, this wall will fall. For it cannot withstand faith; it cannot withstand truth. The wall cannot withstand freedom."
January 25th, 2017 at 4:55:28 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Still gets me teary eyed. Speech made June 12, 1987. I wonder if President Trump will honor the 30th anniversary of this speech?

His aids said not to say it. The world could not imagine it. Two years later it was opened. Good leaders think big.

There is a section of the wall near here. On a dealing gig we stopped to look at it. I had the guy I carpooled with take a pic of me pretending to climb it. At first he said that was the stupidest thing he heard all day. Pic came out and then he wanted one too.
The President is a fink.
January 25th, 2017 at 5:13:03 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: AZDuffman
His aids said not to say it. The world could not imagine it. Two years later it was opened. Good leaders think big.

There is a section of the wall near here. On a dealing gig we stopped to look at it. I had the guy I carpooled with take a pic of me pretending to climb it. At first he said that was the stupidest thing he heard all day. Pic came out and then he wanted one too.
You climbed the urinal at MSS?
January 25th, 2017 at 6:42:50 AM permalink
Nareed
Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate. Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!

Remembering wrongfacts(*) from unpersons will get mans in trouble with MiniLove. Ungood.

What Trump said at that rally was "Mr. Putin, let us raise walls all over the world! Doubleplusgood!"

(*) Not an actual newspeak word.
Page 3 of 6<123456>