First 100 Days of Trump

January 26th, 2017 at 3:50:30 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: AZDuffman
Actually it is an awesome idea. Show that we mean business.

Mexico needs to take things seriously, this should do that.

Its a horrible idea
Mexico makes engine parts
US high end Engine production facilities import these parts for high end manufacturing jobs in the USA
Europe also imports parts from Mexico for their high end engine manufacturing jobs in Europe
So punish the USA company so they go out of business while high end USA jobs go to Europe because the parts are cheaper for a company in Europe?

As an old conservative that voted for Reagan
I believe in free trade
The US Engine manufacturing company I arrange travel for have facilities all over the planet. The high end engine engineering jobs depend on free trade
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 26th, 2017 at 3:56:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
We import $250bil worth of goods a year
from Mexico. Getting 12bil would take no
tine at all.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 26th, 2017 at 4:00:40 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: terapined
Its a horrible idea

Slap a 20% tariff on Mexican imports to pay for the wall. Fine.

Mexico then slaps a 20% tariff on US imports to pay for the tariff to pay for the wall.

What next?

Quote:
As an old conservative that voted for Reagan
I believe in free trade

So do Golden Boy's followers. Only in their version free trade means "The U.S. should be allowed to export as much as it wants tariff-free and barrier-free, while it can also impose whatever tariffs and barriers it want son imports to "protect" "American" jobs" (as though a job has a nationality).

Reagan, BTW, signed the biggest amnesty for undocumented immigrants in history. It turned out a lot of them were from Ireland and South Africa. The orange Golden Boy's fans wouldn't like him anymore, if they ever really did.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 26th, 2017 at 4:02:13 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: Nareed
Slap a 20% tariff on Mexican imports to pay for the wall. Fine.

Mexico then slaps a 20% tariff on US imports to pay for the tariff to pay for the wall.

What next?

More unemployment in both countries
Its common sense

Actually it is an awesome idea. Show that we mean business.

Mexico needs to take things seriously, this should do that.

LOL
The idea is so so dumb and stupid
The White House and Trump will walk it back
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 26th, 2017 at 4:56:17 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
The importers will raise their prices to cover the cost of the tariff. They still have a profit margin, and can't just eat it. Those higher prices are paid by the US consumers, so that is who would be paying for the wall.

If the consumers shift their spending away from Mexican goods, there will be that much less to charge the tariff on, and now no one is paying for the wall, except for the us taxpayers who are fronting the cash for the operation.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 26th, 2017 at 5:07:18 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Dalex64
69% of our fresh vegetables and 37% of our fresh fruits, by value, comes from Mexico.
I do not consume Mexican produce. It's filthy. Bad enough people picking their noses and butts are picking American fruit. At least we have clean water and fertilizers to grow and process with.
January 26th, 2017 at 5:31:03 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: pew
I do not consume Mexican produce. It's filthy..

What about a restaurant you eat at
Or you don't ever eat out?
I am eating a fish sandwich from Wendy's at this moment
Help me out, how do I determine where the piece of lettuce on my sandwich came from :-)
January 26th, 2017 at 7:30:20 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: ams288
Ahhh... I was hoping some rightie would pretend it's a good idea. Shows you don't think before you blindly praise anything Donald does.

Anyone with an Econ 101 level knowledge of economics knows that American consumers would be the ones who end up shouldering the 20% tariff, so Americans WOULD be paying for the dumb wall.

I know exactly what Econ101 says, I did well in all my Econ classes. I have also seen smaller metro area after smaller metro area destroyed by all of this. Had the conversation just a few hours ago. Manufacturing plant closes. Heart ripped out of the town. All so wealthy liberals can get a cheaper 3-Series. Meanwhile illegals come over and get on food stamps and welfare.

30% might be a better idea now that I think about it.
The President is a fink.
January 26th, 2017 at 9:05:15 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
I know exactly what Econ101 says, I did well in all my Econ classes. I have also seen smaller metro area after smaller metro area destroyed by all of this. Had the conversation just a few hours ago. Manufacturing plant closes. Heart ripped out of the town. All so wealthy liberals can get a cheaper 3-Series. Meanwhile illegals come over and get on food stamps and welfare.

30% might be a better idea now that I think about it.

So only wealthy liberals by imported cars? Do come on, it's about everyone wanting cheaper stuff. Be it cars, TVs, shoes or whatever. It's not just the liberals importing cheaper goods at the cost of the manufacturing base.

Also, the last stats I saw was that the rate of illegal immigration into the US is about net zero at the moment.

Which isn't to say there isn't a large number of illegal immigrants in the US, but it's not a growing problem.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
January 27th, 2017 at 4:15:03 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: TheCesspit
So only wealthy liberals by imported cars? Do come on, it's about everyone wanting cheaper stuff. Be it cars, TVs, shoes or whatever. It's not just the liberals importing cheaper goods at the cost of the manufacturing base.

Also, the last stats I saw was that the rate of illegal immigration into the US is about net zero at the moment.

Which isn't to say there isn't a large number of illegal immigrants in the US, but it's not a growing problem.

Not only, but liberal college professors tend to for sure. And I agree, Americans do love to buy cheap junk. Smart and enlightened economists are starting to notice that it does not work like it works on paper. NAFTA was supposed to be good for both sides. Well, Mexico is still a poor, corrupt, cartel crime-ridden nation still demanding to offload excess population to the USA. Meanwhile, the USA auto industry moves production down there one model at a time.

If illegal immigration was not a problem, Mexico and lefties would not be going ape over building a wall.
The President is a fink.