First 100 Days of Trump

March 30th, 2017 at 2:08:15 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Evenbob
. So CNN runs a 4min story on
the history and origins of Russian salad dressing.

Well, fill us in. Did it originate in Russia, or like Texas. I'm sure you watched the whole thing.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 30th, 2017 at 2:48:42 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
Well, fill us in. Did it originate in Russia, or like Texas. I'm sure you watched the whole thing.

On the East coast, not in Russia at all.
Drat..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 3rd, 2017 at 9:12:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
It's amazing watching the Senate implode
over the SCOTUS nomination. By forcing
the nuclear option, they have screwed
themselves on any future pick by Trump.
He can name the most Right winged judge
in the country and he'll be approved.

The experts are all saying the Dems
know this, but their base is so bogged
down in Trump Derangement Syndrome,
they can't see straight. Any move of Trump's
they can block is a victory, even one that
bites them hard on the ass in the end.

They still are not over the election, it's
wonderful to behold.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 4th, 2017 at 4:56:35 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I'm all for the Republicans going the nuclear route.

Anyone who thinks there won't come a day when a Dem President and Dem Senate get to nominate a new Supreme Court justice with just 51 votes is fooling themselves. I can only imagine the screams of "tyranny!!!" from the right when that happens. It will be very enjoyable.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 4th, 2017 at 12:49:10 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
I'm all for the Republicans going the nuclear route.

Anyone who thinks there won't come a day when a Dem President and Dem Senate get to nominate a new Supreme Court justice with just 51 votes is fooling themselves. I can only imagine the screams of "tyranny!!!" from the right when that happens. It will be very enjoyable.

I saw an interview with Senator xxxxx, who basically said that since the Republicans didn't consider Garland we will not vote for any nominee Trump makes if he is not Garland.
It was wrong that the Repubs did not consider Garland, but obviously within the law. It is wrong that the Dems are not willing to consider a candidate based on his merits, but also obviously within the law. Both sides look so SMALL in how they are behaving. Embarrassing really.

I think you are a bit short sighted, ams, because given the age/ health of the present SC Justices DJT might get another one or two picks, and that would be bad, as DJT might pick another really young Justice like Gorsuch to keep the bench Conservative for years to come. I like it when the court is 4-4 with one in between type Justice.
April 4th, 2017 at 1:00:46 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: SOOPOO
I saw an interview with Senator xxxxx, who basically said that since the Republicans didn't consider Garland we will not vote for any nominee Trump makes if he is not Garland.
It was wrong that the Repubs did not consider Garland, but obviously within the law. It is wrong that the Dems are not willing to consider a candidate based on his merits, but also obviously within the law. Both sides look so SMALL in how they are behaving. Embarrassing really.

I think you are a bit short sighted, ams, because given the age/ health of the present SC Justices DJT might get another one or two picks, and that would be bad, as DJT might pick another really young Justice like Gorsuch to keep the bench Conservative for years to come. I like it when the court is 4-4 with one in between type Justice.

Nuclear option or not, I have never had any doubt that Gorsuch would be confirmed.

Let's pretend that Dems don't filibuster Gorsuch and he goes through with 60+ votes with no need for the nuclear option. If a liberal justice were to die later during Donald's term, do we really think the Republicans wouldn't just use the nuclear option then to change the makeup of the court? Of course they would!

They are either going to have to do it now or then, so I don't see why not now...
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 4th, 2017 at 1:03:07 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: SOOPOO

I think you are a bit short sighted, ams, because given the age/ health of the present SC Justices DJT might get another one or two picks, and that would be bad, as DJT might pick another really young Justice like Gorsuch to keep the bench Conservative for years to come.

The Left really dropped the ball on this
one. In 2020 Ginsberg will be 87, Kennedy
84, Breyer 82. They should have had 2 of
the judges retire in 2015 and assured the
Left of 2 more Obama appointee's. Instead
they bought the story that Hillary was a
slam dunk to be president. When Trump's
8 years are up, he will have replaced 4 judges
with young ones that will last for decades.
He might get 2-3 in his first 4 years. Ginsberg
has been ill for years.
April 4th, 2017 at 1:31:02 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: ams288
Let's pretend that Dems don't filibuster Gorsuch and he goes through with 60+ votes with no need for the nuclear option. If a liberal justice were to die later during Donald's term, do we really think the Republicans wouldn't just use the nuclear option then to change the makeup of the court? Of course they would!

If the dismal failure of the Trumpcare bill in a Congress with a GOP majority did not illustrate the Republicans are not a monolithic block, then nothing will.

Granted they're not that far apart when it comes to jurists. But still, if Golden Boy finds someone truly awful for his next nomination, or if Pence does (which seems as likely), it would be worth it to have goodwill from some moderate Republicans, not to mention from public opinion. Remember that though Golden Boy's approval ratings are low, those of Congress are even lower.

Gorsuch is not an ideal pick. But all things considered, he's as lesser an evil as we can expect from a narcissist white nationalist.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 4th, 2017 at 1:55:58 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
He only needs 51 votes. Possibly only 50% plus 1 if a quorum is present.

The 60 votes is a Cloture vote, that is the vote to end debate and vote on the issue.

Several justices received votes in the 50's in the past 30 or 40 years

http://www.politifact.com/new-hampshire/statements/2017/mar/31/maggie-hassan/hassan-says-gorsuch-should-be-held-60-vote-thresho/

So the trick in the senate has always been getting a Cloture vote passed, if required. In the past, I remember "secret filibusters" which were anonymous threats given to the leader of the senate that someone planned to filibuster, preventing a cloture vote. That's all it used to take. No actual filibuster, just a threat of one.

So really, what they have needed 60 votes for was to allow the vote to take place.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
April 4th, 2017 at 2:38:14 PM permalink
Evenbob
The Susan Rice story is huge, it's all Fox is
talking about and I haven't seen that in a
long time. You know it's huge because
CNN is screaming themselves hoarse that
there's no story 'there' and to move on and
forget about it. This isn't the way it was
planned, Trump was supposed to be gone
by now because of the fake Russia story.
Bigger than Watergate is what everybody
is saying, the Obama admin's part in all
this.