First 100 Days of Trump

April 4th, 2017 at 4:33:45 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Dalex64
In the past, I remember "secret filibusters" which were anonymous threats given to the leader of the senate that someone planned to filibuster, preventing a cloture vote. That's all it used to take. No actual filibuster, just a threat of one.

I don't recall a single, actual filibuster in the Senate during my lifetime (the one on The West Wing doesn't count), though there have been some in state legislatures (would those be like the minor leagues?) So it's all like a bluff that's believed and either out-voted or not.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 4th, 2017 at 5:27:38 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The Susan Rice story is growing by the
minute. Independent investigators
are saying it's an octopus with tentacles
stretching everywhere in the Obama
admin. CNN's big story is a dog lost
in MN.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 4th, 2017 at 7:24:03 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Gee, I thought the sex scandals and settlements at Fox news were huge stories and growing by the minute.

But you wouldn't know that if Fox news was your only source of news.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
April 4th, 2017 at 7:29:43 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: Nareed
I don't recall a single, actual filibuster in the Senate during my lifetime (the one on The West Wing doesn't count), though there have been some in state legislatures (would those be like the minor leagues?) So it's all like a bluff that's believed and either out-voted or not.

It is actually the secret hold or Senate hold I was thinking of.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senate_hold

Same 60 votes needed, as cloture, to bypass. Back 10 years or so ago things really slowed down because of these things.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
April 4th, 2017 at 8:44:40 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Dalex64
Gee, I thought the sex scandals and settlements at Fox news were huge stories and growing by the minute.

But you wouldn't know that if Fox news was your only source of news.

Yup
Trump is probably clueless
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 4th, 2017 at 11:56:42 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: Nareed

"It takes 60 votes to invoke cloture, so 41 senators can indefinitely block a confirmation by refusing to vote for cloture."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/03/us/politics/filibuster-supreme-court-neil-gorsuch.html

The rule on cloture was changed when Harry Reid (D-Nev) invoked the "nuclear option" on certain cloture votes a few years ago. The Democrats are acting as if doing the same thing now is somehow horrible; they knew this would happen once the precedent was sent but they are acting as if it is just the most horrible thing.

There have been quite a lot of filibusters over the years. Here is a link to five recent ones (though they do say at least one was not technically a filibuster):

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/16/politics/filibusters-congress-chris-murphy/

So the Dems are at it now and they will hold the floor until Thursday...then Mitch McConnell will announce the new rule on cloture will be 51 votes. There will be objections, but the new rule will then pass a vote. Once it passes (only needs 51 votes), he can order a cloture vote and the "debate" will be ended. The nominee will be confirmed. The Senate will wrap it all up in time to leave for their Easter Recess. The outcome was preordained by Reid's actions (though the Republicans could have done it now even if that had not been done, of course) and this is just a choreographed piece of political theater.
April 5th, 2017 at 12:35:06 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: RonC
The outcome was preordained by Reid's actions

And the story behind that is, Reid and
everybody else on the Dem side were
so 100% sure of a landslide for Queen
Hillary in 2016 that they felt comfortable
in 2013 that it would be a decade before
there was a chance of a Repub house,
senate, and prez. They had no idea the
effect Obama and his losing policies
would have on the electorate in
'14 and '16. This is truly a nightmare
come true for them.

When you think about it, they're rabid
mania to get rid of Trump makes sense.
This was supposed to be their show,
it was guaranteed by the media.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 5th, 2017 at 7:16:23 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Sean Spicer

"Today's chemical attack in Syria against innocent people including women and children is reprehensible and cannot be ignored by the civilized world," Spicer told reporters. "These heinous actions by the Bashar al-Assad regime are a consequence of the past administration's weakness and irresolution." Spicer also said: "President Obama said in 2012 he would establish a red line against the use of chemical weapons and then did nothing. The United States stands with our allies across the globe to condemn this intolerable act." (Later in the day, the White House issued a statement echoing Spicer's remarks.)

Back in the old days you used to have to go through old speeches by hand, or review video tape in later decades. Sometimes it would take years to find a humiliating statement from a politician. A lot of old Southern politicians had to explain that they were building careers in a more racist era.

"Bob" Byrd (November 20, 1917 – June 28, 2010) was a United States Senator from West Virginia. A member of the Democratic Party, Byrd served as a U.S. Representative from 1953 until 1959 and as a U.S. Senator from 1959 to 2010. He was the longest-serving Senator in United States history. In December 1944, Byrd wrote to segregationist Mississippi Senator Theodore G. Bilbo: "I shall never fight in the armed forces with a negro by my side ... Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds." In his last autobiography, Byrd explained that he was a KKK member because he "was sorely afflicted with tunnel vision—a jejune and immature outlook—seeing only what I wanted to see because I thought the Klan could provide an outlet for my talents and ambitions."

Today, of course, searching through old tweets is virtually immediate.

Quote: Donald J. Trump 7:13 AM - 5 Sep 2013
The only reason President Obama wants to attack Syria is to save face over his very dumb RED LINE statement. Do NOT attack Syria,fix U.S.A.
April 5th, 2017 at 1:16:23 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob
The Susan Rice story is huge, it's all Fox is
talking about and I haven't seen that in a
long time.

Fox must be desperate to get people to stop talking about the sexual predator they're stuck with in their 8pm hour.

How many advertisers has BillO lost so far?
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 5th, 2017 at 1:39:00 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: ams288
How many advertisers has BillO lost so far?

42 as a few minutes ago.

Burn baby burn!

I love when bad, evil people get what's coming to them...
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman