2017 Oscars

Page 5 of 5« First<2345
March 13th, 2017 at 4:31:08 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 95
Quote: Wizard
No. I almost did. Still plan to get it on NetFlix.

I just finished the DVD of Moonlight. I can't think of a negative thing to say about it. Very good acting. A story you don't hear very often. Very raw and authentic. However, it isn't the kind of movie I would watch twice. I tend to think it got a lot of votes out of a sense of guilt over the very white Academy Awards the previous year. I don't begrudge that it won, because I can't say another other contender was better, because I didn't see any of them, I think.

I'm not sure what my point is. I will say that anybody who voted for Trump will probably hate Moonlight, just to save some people's time.

Never even heard of it, I am that unplugged from pop culture, but thanks for the heads-up.

Good point on the Academy Awards thing. I have just so been wishing someone would say, "Maybe it was all white this year because no black performance deserved a nomination?" Of course that will never happen, would need a person not caring about losing celebrity status to say it.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
March 13th, 2017 at 11:39:02 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 646
Quote: AZDuffman
Good point on the Academy Awards thing. I have just so been wishing someone would say, "Maybe it was all white this year because no black performance deserved a nomination?" Of course that will never happen, would need a person not caring about losing celebrity status to say it.

Well the real point is often repeated, how do you compare two movies with such vastly different objectives as Moonlight and La La Land? The obvious answer is you use politics to choose between them.

And of course, the outcry about the "white" Oscars followed by 3 out of 6 of the Major awards going to African American actors or movies just hurts everyone. It detracts from the awards themselves.
Page 5 of 5« First<2345