January 29th, 2017 at 11:52:01 AM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Quote: Evenbob
Yup, 4 strikes and you're out. If he
comes back be sure and make lots
of punctuation errors, it drives him
nuts.

No, actually, your basic English errors amuse me. Keep 'em coming.
January 29th, 2017 at 12:20:51 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: stinkingliberal
I'm pretty sure that starting a thread attacking a specific poster is against forum rules, and I'm wondering how Banned Bob even managed to do it.

I can field this, and will cover all the other recent comments about moderation.

DT simply hasn't needed it. Other than the initial mockery and push back upon its inception (and the damnable bots) I can't easily recall a DT suspension for behavior or conduct. Despite the rift between sides, DT is a close knit group of few members. I sort of rely on that fact to do the policing for me. If someone wants to act like an idiot, it decreases the amount of folks who will want to deal with them. When membership consists of but a handful, just one person declining involvement is a noticeable decrease in thread interest and participation. Since I assume you're typing to be heard, it's simply in your best interest to be cordial.

Additionally, I'm trying to refrain from being the arbiter of what's interesting/appropriate/worthy. The religious war here has raged since the beginning of the forum to the point any further discussion can be nothing other than a rehash of an argument that's been had ten times before. That, IMO, is the reason that only 2 or 3 folks engage in it anymore. But, if those 2 or 3 are happy to do so, who am I to influence what they do? Further, again as a testament to the maturity of this place, those who likewise are bored of that particular topic also simply stay out of it. There's none of the typical "put a sock in it" desire to kill threads or topics. And since these issues, like inciting by taking wagers over getting banned, rarely / never escalate, I default to the "self policing" stance and just let it ride.

And to just broad stroke the rest of the questions concerning moderator action or inaction, I can only say I recognize my bias. Some actions, statements, or stances register differently to me because of my values and beliefs. I see criticism levied at a side that may be questionable, but how I interpret it can only be guided by how I feel on the issue. While I do try my best to wait until there is no emotional reaction before acting on an issue, I again feel the self policing of the collective is superior to my sole interpretation.

My apologies to any who have felt wronged during this period, but the dedication and relative apparent satisfaction of those here gave me no reason to risk interfering.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 29th, 2017 at 1:47:57 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Thanks for that explanation Face our moderate moderator.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
January 29th, 2017 at 2:17:51 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I didn't notice this thread until now. I view it as trolling. In response, I'm closing it and adding three days to EB's suspension. It will now be up Feb 4.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
Page 2 of 2<12