Visa Ban

Page 2 of 20<12345>Last »
January 29th, 2017 at 3:47:17 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
that list is not what the op thinks it is, for example Pakistan is way too far down.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 29th, 2017 at 4:05:14 AM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Quote: odiousgambit
that list is not what the op thinks it is, for example Pakistan is way too far down.

If it's Islamic State fighters, Pakistan is probably where it belongs, as Pakistan has very few IS fighters within its borders (the Taliban rules the roost in the unpopulated areas of the country).
January 29th, 2017 at 4:11:30 AM permalink
Canyonero
Threads: 10
Quote: odiousgambit

I am insulted. I have a history here of only presenting well sourced and researched facts. And yes, we are talking IS specifically here. Which is fair, since they are credited with virtually all recent Western terrorist attacks with islamist background.

Anyway, I found the English language source here.
January 29th, 2017 at 5:19:47 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Even Dick Cheney is against the dumb ban
As usual, Trump and his people don't think these things through
There are laws on the books preventing this type of discrimination
A President cant change that law and the courts wont allow him to ignore the laws on the books
Amateur hour at the White House
Everybody knows you need congress to change the laws.

http://time.com/4139998/dick-cheney-trump-muslims/
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 29th, 2017 at 3:20:00 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
Gee Maybe it's the TV reception in my error. Commentators asking why other counties were not included. Or maybe I read it somewhere else ???

Why leave them off the list but include countries where no terrorists who've attacked the US have come from is logic only people like AZ can make up...

Why leave out Saudi Arabia and the UAE?

She was laughing when people said Trump might win . How did that turn out, I wonder ?
January 29th, 2017 at 4:08:00 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
I started put down my thoughts on this cluster f**k but the joint statement from McCain and Graham expresses it much better (except for that weird sentence that implies that our enemies are in Arizona). Not only is it a bad idea, it clearly was not thought out at all.

“Our government has a responsibility to defend our borders, but we must do so in a way that makes us safer and upholds all that is decent and exceptional about our nation.

“It is clear from the confusion at our airports across the nation that President Trump’s executive order was not properly vetted. We are particularly concerned by reports that this order went into effect with little to no consultation with the Departments of State, Defense, Justice, and Homeland Security.

“Such a hasty process risks harmful results. We should not stop green-card holders from returning to the country they call home. We should not stop those who have served as interpreters for our military and diplomats from seeking refuge in the country they risked their lives to help. And we should not turn our backs on those refugees who have been shown through extensive vetting to pose no demonstrable threat to our nation, and who have suffered unspeakable horrors, most of them women and children.

“Ultimately, we fear this executive order will become a self-inflicted wound in the fight against terrorism. At this very moment, American troops are fighting side-by-side with our Iraqi partners to defeat ISIL. But this executive order bans Iraqi pilots from coming to military bases in Arizona to fight our common enemies. Our most important allies in the fight against ISIL are the vast majority of Muslims who reject its apocalyptic ideology of hatred. This executive order sends a signal, intended or not, that America does not want Muslims coming into our country. That is why we fear this executive order may do more to help terrorist recruitment than improve our security.”
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
January 29th, 2017 at 5:03:20 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Yeah, and Hitler would not have gotten mad if Churchill had not been taunting him. ISIL wants to kill you PERIOD
January 29th, 2017 at 8:56:23 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
McCain's absolutely right. The order will do far more to create terrorist threats against the US than it will do to prevent them.

I've said before that Trump, with his utter ignorance of how government works, would try to rule by fiat. "Let it be so," and the Orange One hath spake another decree. But the US government isn't Trump FraudCo.
January 29th, 2017 at 9:01:34 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Quote: buzzardknot
Yeah, and Hitler would not have gotten mad if Churchill had not been taunting him. ISIL wants to kill you PERIOD

So we should pursue a policy that excludes from our country those who are its bitterest enemies and would actively help us fight it? Brilliant, Donald.

And really, so ISIL wants to kill me. Why, exactly, should I waste energy worrying about that? The chances of it happening to me or anyone I know are close to nil. I'm sure my chances of dying in an auto accident are hundreds of times greater. In fact, I'm sure my chances of being attacked and devoured by rabid ducks as I'm walking through the park are hundreds of times greater.

We're wasting resources, and subverting our national character and principles, to meet a threat the magnitude and importance of which is hugely exaggerated. But exaggerating that threat helps support the Trumper message of hate, which got the Orange Asshole elected.
January 29th, 2017 at 9:10:45 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Glad to see you are in total agreement with me.
Page 2 of 20<12345>Last »