Visa Ban

Page 20 of 20« First<17181920
February 10th, 2017 at 1:01:50 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: kenarman
How can we expect other nations to think that the US might tell the truth about something when every citizen of the country only believes with what fits his world view.

You mean when every citizen in the country is like every citizen in the world?

But if you're worried about America's credibility, you may start with what to do about the orange pathological liar who sits in the Oval Office.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 10th, 2017 at 1:04:47 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
I am surprised that you would make that comment Paco. It means that there is absolutely no trust left in the system if a moderate like you believes that a sitting judge up for nomination in the highest court in the land will lie to get appointed. How can we expect other nations to think that the US might tell the truth about something when every citizen of the country only believes with what fits his world view. I hope I am old enough that my time on earth will end before this degenerates to anarchy.

Well...gosh golly...a Republican lying to gain political office...gasp...that's never occurred before in the history of the republic...it truly signals the impending apocalypse...

That aside, we actually don't know why he said that. I would like to believe that as a high-ranking member of the judiciary, he is truly appalled and disgusted by Trump's antics and comments about judges and the judiciary in general. He might have been sending a subtle message to Trump to keep his mouth shut to avoid utterly antagonizing the judiciary. The Supreme Court might not be as pliant and compliant as Trump wishes if he insults the judicial branch every time something doesn't go his way.

Of course, getting The Donald to keep his mouth shut is like trying to keep an orangutan from crapping in its cage.
February 10th, 2017 at 1:21:45 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I am surprised that you would make that comment Paco. It means that there is absolutely no trust left in the system if a moderate like you believes that a sitting judge up for nomination in the highest court in the land will lie to get appointed.

I don't think he lied. I think he told the truth. But in another situation he might have felt it would be better to keep silent. In the current climate he felt that he can show that he is his own man, but in a safe manner.

David Souter was nominated by senior President Bush. Initially, from 1990 to 1993, Souter tended to be a conservative-leaning justice. The symbolic turning point came in two cases in 1992: Planned Parenthood v. Casey, in which the Court reaffirmed the essential holding in Roe v. Wade; and Lee v. Weisman, in which Souter voted against allowing prayer at a high school graduation ceremony.

Justices frequently grow more liberal over time. Exceptions include Scalia.

February 10th, 2017 at 2:35:11 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
Quote: stinkingliberal
I actually don't give a flying crap about whether he did or not, and whatever he did or didn't do is utterly irrelevant to the discussion (to possibly overly dignify what is occurring here), but having sex with an intern or with the entire Dallas Cowboys cheerleader squad, for that matter, wasn't an impeachable offense in that in didn't affect Clinton's execution of the duties of his office.

You tighty-righties have GOT to let go of the stupid idea that just because sane people (liberals) oppose Trump, that they're in love with the Clintons. You also have to let go of the idea, though it was beaten to death by the Orange One, that Bill's indiscretions twenty years ago had any relevance to Hillary's candidacy.

If Trump is impeached, it will be due to his disregard for the law, not because a tape of him in submissive bondage sex with Ivanka surfaces.

IMPEACHMENT for Trump is a liberal's wet dream. Ain't gonna happen. Time for Pocahontas to lite the peace pipe.
February 10th, 2017 at 7:17:31 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Quote: buzzardknot
IMPEACHMENT for Trump is a liberal's wet dream. Ain't gonna happen. Time for Pocahontas to lite the peace pipe.

I would have agreed with you earlier, but it's already becoming apparent that being associated with Trump is a HUGE liability for Republicans, so if they suffer massive losses in the midterm elections, they may elect to throw him under the bus. It wouldn't take many Republican senators to draft an impeachment bill, given that all the Democrats would enthusiastically climb on board.

And as far as anybody's "wet dream" goes, many liberals would actually consider Pence to be worse than Trump, as he shares many of Trump's most odious views but unlike Trump, has the maturity and discipline to actually act on them.

And Warren will NEVER let up on Trump. That's why she scares Trumpers shitless, and why they keep flinging cheap insults at her.
Page 20 of 20« First<17181920