Visa Ban

January 30th, 2017 at 1:39:02 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: ams288
Might want to give yourself some extra time at JFK.

My jaw dropped and I just broke out in a sweat.

Based on the clothing I can only assume that's outside. For we layover folks, we should be alright, yes? I mean, they're not stuffed in the terminal like that...

Tell me they're not stuffed in the terminal. I dunno how you city folk do it.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 30th, 2017 at 1:43:32 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Face

Based on the clothing I can only assume that's outside. For we layover folks, we should be alright, yes? I mean, they're not stuffed in the terminal like that...

Yeah it was mainly outside.

But I was teasing. That was from this weekend. The airport protests are mostly over.

Assuming Trump does nothing else protest-worthy in the next few days (I guess that's a big IF), you should be fine.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 30th, 2017 at 1:48:30 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face

Remember, if you are on a layover only ticketed passengers will be there.
The President is a fink.
January 30th, 2017 at 1:50:48 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
The whole thing keeps getting worse.

It turns out Golden Boy didn't run his order by relevant agencies, like the ones who'd be handling the enforcement, and wouldn't even let them look at it. He also hid it from any lawyers at all, who would have pointed out exactly how the order would fare in court.

This shows complete contempt for the law and the US Constitution, not to mention disrespect for the people who work for him. You don't spring a major change like this on an enforcement agency without at least a heads up and a chance to prepare.

But we can't count on Golden Boy to stay stupid and incompetent forever. We have to keep the pressure on.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 30th, 2017 at 1:52:13 PM permalink
Nareed
Assuming Trump does nothing else protest-worthy in the next few days (I guess that's a big IF), you should be fine.

It's the one thing that gets him large crowds to focus on him. You can count on more moronic, counter-productive actions on the Orange clown's part.
January 30th, 2017 at 2:09:36 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
Nice that Trump gives something for them to whine about. Otherwise they might be doing something productive.
January 30th, 2017 at 2:20:59 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Nareed
The whole thing keeps getting worse.

It turns out Golden Boy didn't run his order by relevant agencies, like the ones who'd be handling the enforcement, and wouldn't even let them look at it. He also hid it from any lawyers at all, who would have pointed out exactly how the order would fare in court.

This shows complete contempt for the law and the US Constitution, not to mention disrespect for the people who work for him. You don't spring a major change like this on an enforcement agency without at least a heads up and a chance to prepare.

But we can't count on Golden Boy to stay stupid and incompetent forever. We have to keep the pressure on.

This is what to focus on: the incompetency of the issuing of the order and the mechanics. The spirit behind it was always going to be controversial, and we can argue until 2067 about whether it's right or wrong, and no-one will ever change their minds.

But if it was done in a effective, sensible manner is another thing. I'm pretty sure it was not, seeing the complete chaos it has caused, the number of people effectively disbarred from their country of residence on a moments notice, the ill-will generated, the confusion with the agencies responsible for enacting the will of the order, and the constitutional arguments.

This didn't come from Trump, this came from Bannon, whose playing the POTUS. I wonder when Trump will realize he's not the organ grinder.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
January 30th, 2017 at 2:30:22 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Thanks all for your patience with my derail and ignorance. I do feel relieved, so thanks =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 30th, 2017 at 2:34:11 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
Does this mean you are now willing to become a model citizen, and turn in your guns to the police department.? The words " Going Postal" might tempt you to do the right thing.
January 30th, 2017 at 3:02:19 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: TheCesspit
This is what to focus on: the incompetency of the issuing of the order and the mechanics.

That's a good issue to hit the Orange clown on the head with. It's not the main problem.

Quote:
The spirit behind it was always going to be controversial, and we can argue until 2067 about whether it's right or wrong, and no-one will ever change their minds.

He might have explained why it's necessary and issued what justification for it wasn't classified. Rather than simply making an ukase known to the peasants on the front lines.

The issue of what you call "the mechanics" does mean he intends his orders to have a political effect, rather than a practical one.

Quote:
This didn't come from Trump, this came from Bannon, whose playing the POTUS. I wonder when Trump will realize he's not the organ grinder.

Half a dozen of one and six of the other. Who put Bannon on a position with power and responsibility?

We had warning Golden Boy didn't intend to do the job, though. Remember near the conventions Kasich leaked he had been offered the VP post, on terms that he'd have more power and influence than any VP in history, pretty much stating he'd run the Executive Branch while Trump "made America grate again"? Apparently that job, but not the position, went to Steve Bannon, white nationalist.