The Founder

Page 11 of 13« First<8910111213>
August 28th, 2017 at 8:21:09 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: terapined
Yup
The key to a growing civ is a food source that a few produce to feed many

Nutritional studies are notoriously difficult, limited, and only partially conclusive. That said, humans have been consuming large amounts of grain since at least the establishment of civilization, and possibly before then. If anything, people in Western countries eat less grain than they used to, as it's far easier to obtain meats and vegetables than it was even as recently as the mid-XIX century.

Non-Celiac gluten sensitivity has been much in vogue lately, but there's no definitive proof it's a real thing. What surprises me is how may people want to go "gluten-free."

A few years ago, I recall having heard something about refined flour and sugar. This does make for a change in flour, as I don't think it could be refined until relatively recent times.

As for bread and wheat tortillas, the problem may be what's added to it. Modern baked bread has added sugar and milk. I've heard that the sugar is meant to feed the yeast to make the dough rise faster. This may be so, but the added sugar is in the bread.

Pasta, on the other hand, is just flour and water. Some varieties may contain egg as well.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 28th, 2017 at 10:41:23 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: kenarman
Did look at your link. Some trainer repeating rumours he heard in the gym. Where is your research EB?

You want me to do the research for you?
Is your typing hand broken? I've satisfied
it for myself, it works for me in spades,
why would I give one crap what you think
about it. I feel better than I've felt in 10 years.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 28th, 2017 at 10:44:05 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Evenbob
I remember the first time I had KFC.
it was just after I started driving in 1965.
I went to the only KFC in town and got
a 21 piece bucket for $3.99. I sat in my
car and ate 14-15 pieces, they were
so good. On the way home I got
violently sick and had to stop and
upchuck it all on the side of the road.
I didn't have KFC again for at least 30
years, just the smell of it made me gag.

LOL.

I stayed away from Subway sandwiches for the same reason. Although I didn't eat 15! I did get sick after my first visit and was up all night.

Didn't go back for 5 years.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 28th, 2017 at 10:51:37 AM permalink
rxwine
You can't just buy "healthy" food (unless it's not in a box and fresh) because everything has varying degrees of supplemented ingredients.

They mark lower fat on something and raise the sugar content. Also sometimes same with low sodium. And product to product varies among those.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 28th, 2017 at 11:12:16 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: rxwine
You can't just buy "healthy" food (unless it's not in a box and fresh) because everything has varying degrees of supplemented ingredients.

One little secret of the food industry, is that processing often destroys vitamins and/or removes minerals. That's why you see products with added vitamins and minerals. This in itself isn't bad or wrong. What's wrong is these products are advertised as being "fortified" or "enriched." Some are, that is they have more and/or other vitamins natural products don't. But in most cases it's putting back in what processing took out.

Quote:
They mark lower fat on something and raise the sugar content. Also sometimes same with low sodium. And product to product varies among those.

Some, not all. there's no/low-fat yogurt without added sugar, for example. Low sodium is getting there more. it turns out a hollow salt crystal is as good as a whole one in adding saltiness to things like crackers and chips.
August 30th, 2017 at 11:40:42 AM permalink
Nareed
Interesting: https://www.statnews.com/2017/08/29/fat-nutrition-study/

This comes close to the paleo diet, if memory serves.

But it's just one study, though extensive, and it's self-reporting, and not double blind or controlled.
August 30th, 2017 at 12:25:34 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Nareed

This study is a revelation and a godsend to
people who have been saying for decades
that high fat low carb diets are lifesavers.
Atkins said it in the 60's and was ridiculed
and mocked by his profession. Processed
carbs are killers, and we've been lied to
forever by big grain and big sugar. They
knew the hazards of these ultra processed
grains and lied about it.

60% of your diet needs to be healthy fat,
like butter and olive oil and fatty fish and
things like avocados. 60% is the minimum.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 30th, 2017 at 1:11:30 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
Guidelines also tend to stress that if eating some fruits and vegetables is good, more must be better. But among the study participants, those whose diets included three to four servings of fruits and vegetables a day were no more likely to have died as those whose diets included eight or more servings a day.

That was the same idea as the vitamin craze. If 100% of a RDA vitamin is good, 5 or 10 times that must be better.
August 30th, 2017 at 2:06:09 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: rxwine
That was the same idea as the vitamin craze. If 100% of a RDA vitamin is good, 5 or 10 times that must be better.

Getting micronutrients from supplements is almost
worthless. 99% are pissed away, you never metabolize
them. All those people spending huge money for
decades at 'health' food stores. Flushing it down
the toilet, literally.
August 30th, 2017 at 8:15:57 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Seems to me the "experts" are changing their minds every decade or so. I will say I know someone who went to a no-carb diet, with virtually no other changes, and lost 90 pounds.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
Page 11 of 13« First<8910111213>