The Founder

Page 13 of 13« First<10111213
July 20th, 2021 at 11:48:48 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: Pacomartin
People who had reached age 100 back when you worked for SSA probably all grew up well before WWII before there was so much processed food.

I think the problem with processed food is more for growing children then for older adults.

Processed foods have been around for a long time, and were so much more insidious before the FDA got involved.

I seem to remember reading about arsenic in early Kellogg’s (or something like that) and killing a whole bunch of people.
July 20th, 2021 at 12:21:54 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: gamerfreak
Processed foods have been around for a long time,

It exploded after World War II. I remember in the 50s the frozen food section of a grocery store was tiny. Now it's two or three long Isles of nothing but frozen food.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 20th, 2021 at 7:24:12 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Evenbob
It exploded after World War II. I remember in the 50s the frozen food section of a grocery store was tiny. Now it's two or three long Isles of nothing but frozen food.

I would guess about 75% of my diet is processed foods and look how healthy I am.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 20th, 2021 at 7:35:36 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: DRich
I would guess about 75% of my diet is processed foods and look how healthy I am.

If you have good insurance you're every doctor's dream come true.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 20th, 2021 at 7:39:44 PM permalink
gamerfreak

After a solid decade of eating mostly fast food, I am about 10lbs overweight and have slightly high cholesterol.

Otherwise I am fine. I need to stop as I get older though.
July 20th, 2021 at 7:47:44 PM permalink
Evenbob
After a solid decade of eating mostly fast food, I am about 10lbs overweight and have slightly high cholesterol.

I know a couple men who were thin all their lives and they got into the fifties and gained a ton of weight. One of them now is in his mid-60s and has to weigh 350 lb. He looks like a caricature of his old self. He has a round moon shaped face now and a fat red nose. He was one of those eat anything and everything I want guys.
July 20th, 2021 at 8:19:47 PM permalink
gamerfreak
Quote: Evenbob
I know a couple men who were thin all their lives and they got into the fifties and gained a ton of weight. One of them now is in his mid-60s and has to weigh 350 lb. He looks like a caricature of his old self. He has a round moon shaped face now and a fat red nose. He was one of those eat anything and everything I want guys.

There are also reasons beyond gluttony - often times picky eaters only eat processed food because the variation that exists with fresh protein and produce is disgusting to them. It’s all about consistency.

Here is a YouTube doc about a guy who will only eat Mac N Cheese, and another pizza.

https://youtu.be/v1TWvXwgKr0

https://youtu.be/os8V1EZNI8A
July 20th, 2021 at 9:07:36 PM permalink
Evenbob
There are also reasons beyond gluttony - often times picky eaters only eat processed food because the variation that exists with fresh protein and produce is disgusting to them.

I have not eaten processed food in at least 20 years. And I didn't eat much of it then. I eat fresh food at every meal. Just tonight I did a stir fry with chicken and fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, celery, red onion, green pepper, baby spinach. Just yesterday my dinner was a salad made out of all the same ingredients that was a totally different taste.
July 21st, 2021 at 7:39:19 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

I am fortunate as my weight rarely fluctuates by more than 5 pounds. I do have a small belly but every other part of my body is very skinny. At 5'10" and 165lbs I don't think I am over weight.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 21st, 2021 at 8:33:12 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I am fortunate as my weight rarely fluctuates by more than 5 pounds. I do have a small belly but every other part of my body is very skinny. At 5'10" and 165lbs I don't think I am over weight.

Compared to me at that height you are suffering from malnutrition.
The President is a fink.
Page 13 of 13« First<10111213