Coastal America, stop apologizing for being great

Page 2 of 4<1234>
January 30th, 2017 at 12:57:28 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Canyonero I don't think that GROSS domestic product is the only metric that needs to be looked at. It would be probably be more realistic to look at the NET amount that any given area contributes to the country after all the subsidies to both businesses and individuals are included. I am also wondering what the citizens living in the city are going to eat and put in their fuel tanks if the "flyover" states are were not part of the country.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
January 30th, 2017 at 12:59:32 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Canyonero
Well, I do not believe in "good" and "bad" words. I wasn't raised to put things in boxes, but to make up my own mind on a case by case basis. I do, however, only use profanity sparingly to avoid hurting other's feelings.

I agree with your statement, but there are rules here, pretty much a mirror of WoV. I haven't, that I can recall, dinged anyone here for the occasional cuss, and can only remember ever making one sort of broad statement to tone it down in the past.

In any case, the rule states that profanity is prohibited, whereby profanity is defined as "If it ain't in the Bible, it's off limits" with note specifically made about the "f" word. I can't remember and am too lazy to check if that's exactly how DT's rules are written, I'm just pulling from memory whenever the last time I checked WoV's.

That all is an FYI. In this case, I'm simply too lenient (see also: lazy and / or reasonable =p) to be smashing folks over simple language. I read it as a "flavor enhancer" to drive home your feelings, not as something deeply offensive or used against someone. So no suspension; reckon this explanation is punishment enough =p

On topic, how many calories you get out of a hundred dollar bill nowadays? We hicks grow your food, fight your wars, and we have all the guns. Be nice ;)

Off topic, I thought you were in Germany?
(Feel free to admit immigrant status, even EB isn't old enough to still hate Germans ;))
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 30th, 2017 at 1:21:14 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
"
Off topic, I thought you were in Germany? Oh come now Face, you can get a German VPN for only $1 a month. Surely you know who this poster is ? PM me if you want to know.
January 30th, 2017 at 1:24:42 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Canyonero
You need to compare the two maps. Green is economic output on the first map and red is Trump votes on the second. Edited OP to clarify.
Sorry, I thought the bottom map was also about economic output.
January 30th, 2017 at 1:32:10 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Face
I agree with your statement, but there are rules here, pretty much a mirror of WoV. I haven't, that I can recall, dinged anyone here for the occasional cuss, and can only remember ever making one sort of broad statement to tone it down in the past.

In any case, the rule states that profanity is prohibited, whereby profanity is defined as "If it ain't in the Bible, it's off limits" with note specifically made about the "f" word. I can't remember and am too lazy to check if that's exactly how DT's rules are written, I'm just pulling from memory whenever the last time I checked WoV's.

That all is an FYI. In this case, I'm simply too lenient (see also: lazy and / or reasonable =p) to be smashing folks over simple language. I read it as a "flavor enhancer" to drive home your feelings, not as something deeply offensive or used against someone. So no suspension; reckon this explanation is punishment enough =p

On topic, how many calories you get out of a hundred dollar bill nowadays? We hicks grow your food, fight your wars, and we have all the guns. Be nice ;)

(Feel free to admit immigrant status, even EB isn't old enough to still hate Germans ;))
Man o man the world is going crazy lately! even this forum is getting out of control due the the political pendulum swinging wildly forth under Obama and then back under Trump. I saw this coming when Obama first got elected
January 30th, 2017 at 1:32:46 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: buzzardknot
"
Off topic, I thought you were in Germany? Oh come now Face, you can get a German VPN for only $1 a month. Surely you know who this poster is ? PM me if you want to know.

I haven't checked his, or anyone else IP. During the whole Merkel thing he was posting as if he was right there, and I'd swear he flat stated he was. The Chicago comment threw me, and I'm a curious fellow.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 30th, 2017 at 1:38:26 PM permalink
buzzardknot
" Man o man the world is going crazy lately! even this forum is getting out of control due the the political pendulum swinging wildly forth under Obama and then back under Trump. I saw this coming when Obama first got elected. "

There are none so blind as those who will not see

Explains why the pollsters got it all wrong. And why Hillary had champagne on ice awaiting to be the President.
January 30th, 2017 at 2:27:04 PM permalink
Canyonero
Threads: 10
Quote: Face

I am in Germany, this topic is just well meaning advice from a foreigner. (technically I am in Switzerland right now, but same general direction)

Fair point on the food.

The guns however... You may have assault rifles and shotguns, them coastal people have drones and computer viruses. They'll still be nice if they see you in person :)
January 30th, 2017 at 2:31:47 PM permalink
buzzardknot
January 30th, 2017 at 2:32:14 PM permalink
Canyonero
Threads: 10
Quote: kenarman
Canyonero I don't think that GROSS domestic product is the only metric that needs to be looked at. It would be probably be more realistic to look at the NET amount that any given area contributes to the country after all the subsidies to both businesses and individuals are included. I am also wondering what the citizens living in the city are going to eat and put in their fuel tanks if the "flyover" states are were not part of the country.

Agreed! Those maps illustrated my point the best. I have looked at others and the trend holds up. Money flows from the coast to the center in Form of federal subsidies. Also the trend holds up if you take into account population density. Except North Dakota, they suddenly look like a powerhouse.
Page 2 of 4<1234>