The City of a Thousand Planets

Page 2 of 3<123>
July 24th, 2017 at 7:59:53 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I don't know what the black comedy is but prominent black stars guarantee a black audience.

Any title of a city encompassing a thousand planets is absurd they should have left it as empire of a thousand planets.

With all this anime, robots, comics, vampires, light sabers stuff....its utterly disgraceful that the industry even exists much less makes a profit.
July 24th, 2017 at 9:19:50 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Fleastiff
I don't know what the black comedy is but prominent black stars guarantee a black audience.

I think Queen Latifah and Jada Pinkett Smith pull in a decent crossover audience as well.
July 24th, 2017 at 10:09:53 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Like it or not, when it comes to roles for black women, they seem to fall into a couple of common categories:

- The Sassy Diva - e.g., Tina Turner, Queen Latifah, Vivica A. Fox
- The Nurturing Momma - e.g., Gloria Foster (the Oracle in "The Matrix"), Esther Rolle ("Good Times")

I don't know if these actresses "cross-over", in the sense that they could draw an audience for a solo work, as much as they are attached to projects with white actors and actresses that appeal to broader audiences.
July 24th, 2017 at 2:51:49 PM permalink
Pacomartin
It's like the "dragon lady" which was the earliest portrayal of Asian women in film.

It seems to remain a popular characterization

In China it seems important than you can do both images, the ultra-sweet delicate feminine woman, and the somewhat dangerous looking appearance.

August 2nd, 2017 at 9:42:25 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
Now two decades after "The Fifth Element", Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets is being produced, written and directed by Luc Besson.

Did it bomb yet?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 3rd, 2017 at 1:01:09 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
Did it bomb yet?

Valerian is doing poorly compared to the "Fifth Element" in USA and Canada
7.93 million domestic ticket sales by day 12 (Fifth Element in 1997)
3.60 million domestic ticket sales by day 12 (Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets)

Release schedules around the world vary with movie, but it looks like it will be a spectacular bomb.

Cara Delevingne was better off with the supporting role in Suicide Squad

Cara Delevingne is the latest attempt at turning a supermodel into a movie star

When the model Hale Berry took her first screen role, it was as a crack addict. It gives people a chance to view you as something other than a model.
August 3rd, 2017 at 6:21:54 AM permalink
Nareed
Valerian is doing poorly compared to the "Fifth Element" in USA and Canada

That's almost like doing poorly compared to "Howard The Duck."

I don't plan to see it. I did see The Fifth Element, and still wish I'd asked for a refund. In simple terms, Luc Besson should stay away from Science Fiction. No clue about his other movies, i don't think I've seen one, but in SF he's terrible.

Quote:
It gives people a chance to view you as something other than a model.

IMO the best way to adopt an entirely different image, would be to play a character who eats.
August 3rd, 2017 at 8:07:56 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Luc Besson should stay away from Science Fiction. No clue about his other movies, i don't think I've seen one, but in SF he's terrible.

I've seen 2 of the 5 films rated by Rotten Tomatoes. I very much liked "Léon: The Professional" that introduced Natalie Portman. Gary Oldman did some of his best work as a sadistic killer.

La Femme Nikita has been adopted into an English movie and a TV series, but I never saw the original. Lucy was very popular movie although the critics were indifferent. It might qualify as Sci-Fi.

88% La Femme Nikita (Nikita) Director/Screenwriter — 1990
72% The Fifth Element Director/Screenwriter — 1997
71% Léon: The Professional Director/Producer/Screenwriter— 1994
68% Lucy Director/Screenwriter — 2014
51% Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets Director/Producer/Screenwriter— 2017
August 3rd, 2017 at 9:24:50 AM permalink
Nareed
Lucy was very popular movie although the critics were indifferent. It might qualify as Sci-Fi.

Wasn't that the one that played on the very debunked myth about the 10% of the brain?
August 3rd, 2017 at 11:40:36 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Wasn't that the one that played on the very debunked myth about the 10% of the brain?

From the advertisements they certainly talk about the 10%.

Luc Besson has built his career around the super strong female character.
Page 2 of 3<123>