No votes (0%)
2 votes (28.57%)
1 vote (14.28%)

7 members have voted

February 10th, 2017 at 6:35:58 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
Even though the taxi fares don't look high compared to Las Vegas, the upfront is higher and traffic is incredibly slow and all routes are convoluted.

Roman streets were famously convoluted and a mess even in ancient times. They're one of those problems that are impossible to fix.

Do not fail to visit the Pantheon.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 10th, 2017 at 7:17:02 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Yes the Vatican does make public the Pope's schedule. Liturgically there is not a lot going on in the summer besides the big feast day of August 15th. By the way the local residents of the city do empty out around that time as everyone seems to go on vacation. Some of the good resturants even close for a couple of weeks. There is good reason to get out of Rome in the summer, it is HOT and there are loads of tourists. Anyway, anytime is a good time to go to Rome.

Outside of Mass there are two other easy ways to see the Pope. Every Wednesday he holds a general audience in the square of St. Peter. Pope Francis is not going to the summer home of the Pope in Castle Gandalfo. I cantry to get you good tickets for this audience where your mother in law would have a good seat or you can request them yourself via the US Bishops Visitor office to the Vatican. They have a website and are super friendly. You don't need to be Catholic or anything for them to help you with tickets. Very important to remember that tickets to any Papal event are always and in every case free. Never let anyone sell you a ticket to see the Pope.

The other public event that you don't need a ticket for is the Sunday Angelus. This too happens in St. Peter's square outside of the Papal appartment balcony. Every Sunday around noon the Pope comes to that window and will say a few words and pray with everyone the Angelus prayer remembering and honoring the incarnation.

Rome and its public transportation can be crowded. The buses don't smell any worse than any crowded European bus. The subway is not the best, just two lines but it helps if you are arriving via train in Termini to get most places. I agree with what Paco said about the Taxis, but they are very prevelant. If you are going to all toursit places then even those tourist buses might be an option. If you want to see some awesome Churches (or would like a few good resturant recommendations) off the beaten path please let me know. By the way the pickpocket problem is greatly exaggeratted nowadays. Also if anyone says the food is not the best ever they have either never been or didn't go to the right places. The most simple aglio'olio dish in Rome is better than 90% of the Italian resturants in America.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 10th, 2017 at 7:44:02 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
I was in Rome for a week in the 3rd week of May several years ago. The weather was perfect with no bugs or humidity. We were lucky enough to stay near the biggest park in Rome (Villa Borghese) and pretty much walked everywhere. We were on a crowded bus only once and all the windows were open, have no recollection of garlic. I wasn't particularly impressed with the food but we probably ate in tourist places pretty much every meal.

The train station area is closer to the Vatican than we were and we walked back to the hotel (we were on a tour and a bus when we went there). Regardless of your faith, or lack thereof, it is a treasure and not to be missed. The Parthenon is so none descript outside you can walk right by it and not know what you are looking at, but it is incredible inside when you think of when it was built and how long it has survived. If you have a sense of Western history you can't help but become somewhat pensive when wandering through the various Roman ruins.

Don't miss Rome Mike and do what it takes for your mother to see what sites her energy and mobility allows. The Vatican likely should be the top of the list. I believe that if the Pope is in Rome that there is usually a short appearance on his balcony most Sundays. The plaza at the Vatican is huge and holds 100,000's of people so don't expect much more than a blob of white. Maybe look at wheel chair rentals and I believe a chair will get you closer to the front.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 10th, 2017 at 1:20:05 PM permalink
FrGamble
Oh that is right, I forgot a wheelchair is like a special ticket to see the Pope. It usually gets you right up front and he will usually come over and give you a personal blessing. Talk to the US bishops visitor office about that.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 10th, 2017 at 2:21:46 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
Do not fail to visit the Pantheon.

The Pantheon is so widely copied around the world that it can be a bit of a let down to the tourist. But it is the original building with this design, and is very significant.

The primary sights are in most guidebooks and most tourists visit them
10 Campo de' Fiori
9 Piazza Navona
8 Castel Sant'Angelo
7 Roman Forum
6 Spanish Steps
5 Trevi Fountain
4 Vatican Museums
3 Pantheon
2 St. Peter's Basilica
1 Colosseum

Nearly everyone see the work by Bernini, St. Peter's Canopy

But people regularly walk a block away from St Andrew's, Bernini's Baroque masterpiece with Whispering galley and never see it.
February 10th, 2017 at 2:47:14 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
February 10th, 2017 at 2:59:17 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
The Pantheon is so widely copied around the world that it can be a bit of a let down to the tourist. But it is the original building with this design, and is very significant.

Not many buildings have stood that long with empty jars used as aggregate in the concrete to make it lighter :)

Quote:
But people regularly walk a block away from St Andrew's, Bernini's Baroque masterpiece with Whispering galley and never see it.

My father had a thing for churches. I grew so sick of them, that if I were to visit Rome, it would take me a great deal of effort to visit the Sistine Chapel to see Michelangelo's frescoes.
February 10th, 2017 at 3:32:58 PM permalink
FrGamble
You know what, I should lead a trip to Rome for members of the DT forum. I would promise the very best food for not a lot of money. I also promise I would not preach or say anything and just lead us to some of the greatest Churches and sites in Rome. Having lived there for five years I know which tourist things to avoid and where the best places off the beaten path are. The list of top tourist sites given early I would only have two or three on my top ten sites if you really want to see Rome.
February 10th, 2017 at 3:37:11 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: FrGamble
I also promise I would not preach or say anything

If we all bet against you, we'd all travel free ;)

I'm hoping Mike Duncan will revive his History of Rome Tour one of these days when I'm able to afford it. He's been doing Revolutions tours instead in England, France and in northeastern US states (for some reason, I don't think he'll do one in Haiti).
February 10th, 2017 at 3:37:48 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: FrGamble
You know what, I should lead a trip to Rome for members of the DT forum. I would promise the very best food for not a lot of money. I also promise I would not preach or say anything and just lead us to some of the greatest Churches and sites in Rome. Having lived there for five years I know which tourist things to avoid and where the best places off the beaten path are. The list of top tourist sites given early I would only have two or three on my top ten sites if you really want to see Rome.

I'd consider it but would have to know what you mean by "best food." I've gotten bitten on that. Instead of preaching I would welcome some modern theological discussion.

Just started a new client today, so would need to be down the road. Two old bosses working there, glad to be around them again, the one in particular.
The President is a fink.
Page 2 of 5<12345>