3 votes (33.33%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)

9 members have voted

January 22nd, 2013 at 1:38:29 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Ireland, it would seem, has officially decided to just start living up to all the ugliest stereotypes the rest of the world has about it. Exhibit A: The local council for Kerry County in south-west Ireland has approved a measure that would allow police to issue permits to people living in rural areas that would allow them to drive drunk legally. Apparently, the council is concerned about loneliness, depression, and suicide amongst rural residents unable to visit the local pub for a night out.

Is this a good idea?
January 22nd, 2013 at 3:19:51 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
An awareness of the realities of a local situation is sensible. I expect there has been such an informal system for years without any paperwork or permits. There is not much to hit in such rural areas and the statutory minimum punishments are disproportionately draconian since a revoked license constitutes house arrest.

Its much the opposite in some cities or neighborhoods wherein anyone who gets a bit tipsy either spends an absolute fortune in taxifares or takes the risk of a DUI simply because there are no alternatives such as buses or hotels.

We used to invest judges and prosecutors with a great deal of discretion but there are moves afoot to strip them of any massive leeway.

Just as we allow discharge of firearms in certain areas, getting a bit inebriated can have different results based on demographics.
January 22nd, 2013 at 3:50:07 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: reno
Is this a good idea?

Yes. Provided the idea is to increase traffic fatalities for some reason.

Really. There are SO many alternatives, it boggles the mind why anyone, that is anyone with more than two neurons to rub together, would think driving drunk makes any kind of sense.

In Mexico City the police operates checkpoints on weekends and holidays where any driver can be stopped to take a breathalyzer test. The penalty is, I think 24 or 72 hours arrest. That's bad. But there are also ways to avoid it, responsibly. Two companies, at elast operate services, for pay naturally, to get people safely home. One is a car service which operates on 40 minutes' notice. The other provides a driver who then gets you into your car and drives you home (I guess the driver then gets a cab or uses public transportation). Thats' in addition to regular cab services.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 22nd, 2013 at 4:51:03 PM permalink
98Clubs
Threads: 2
Hell, I thought drinking and driving was mandatory, just like Iceland.
There are four things certain in life... Death, Taxes, the Resistance to them, and Stupidity.
January 22nd, 2013 at 9:20:36 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Nareed
Yes. Provided the idea is to increase traffic fatalities for some reason.

Really. There are SO many alternatives, it boggles the mind why anyone, that is anyone with more than two neurons to rub together, would think driving drunk makes any kind of sense.

I'm not a supporter of DUI by any means, but as Flea said, I can think of places where it's not as big a deal as most. For instance, my commute is on a "busy" road. It's about 45 minutes one way. On the way home tonight, I passed a total of two cars. If you get off the main road, traffic is non existant. On some roads, should you ditch it, you wouldn't be found for a week.

Here, there are no options that city folk and our European counterparts have. The closest thing I ever had to a cab was a guy at the same bar, who I kind of knew, that had 5 beers instead of the 10 I had. If I want to drink anywhere but home (and who just wants to drink alone?), I have to drive. I have to keep it under the limit, yes, and I can do that. But I have to drive.

I don't know what that area's like, so I can't say yay or nay. But I wouldn't be automatically against it. Most of the roads around my area I'd also say nay, but there's a few I know of that not many care about. They sure don't care about the street racing, and that's way worse than driving after a few wobbly pops.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 23rd, 2013 at 3:51:13 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23

In Mexico City the police operates checkpoints on weekends and holidays where any driver can be stopped to take a breathalyzer test. The penalty is, I think 24 or 72 hours arrest. That's bad. But there are also ways to avoid it, responsibly. Two companies, at elast operate services, for pay naturally, to get people safely home. One is a car service which operates on 40 minutes' notice. The other provides a driver who then gets you into your car and drives you home (I guess the driver then gets a cab or uses public transportation). Thats' in addition to regular cab services.

Mexico City is not rural Ireland. It's facile to compare a service that requires 100's of drinkers in need to transport to a small village with 12 people in the bar at any time...

It's stupid idea to let people drink drive under licence. There is probably not a serious alternative apart from 'not drinking' or having a Designated Driver... tricky for the farmer 5 miles out of the village, whose going in for a pint or five and catch up with his friends after a hard weeks work. Them's the breaks.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
January 23rd, 2013 at 7:04:53 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: TheCesspit
Mexico City is not rural Ireland. It's facile to compare a service that requires 100's of drinkers in need to transport to a small village with 12 people in the bar at any time...

Ok. Here's one: hire a designated driver. Any young man with a license who's not too old yet to be of legal drinking age, could drive each drunk home. Make the pay good enough and you'll find plenty of volunteers. The logistics might be tricky, but they should be doable. And you may need more than one driver. But that should work better than encouraging each lonely farmer to risk his life every time he wants to drink.
January 23rd, 2013 at 8:24:11 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Face
On the way home tonight, I passed a total of two cars. If you get off the main road, traffic is non existant. On some roads, should you ditch it, you wouldn't be found for a week.

Read the quoted portion again, then think carefully whether you'd think it's a good idea to drive drunk on that route.
January 23rd, 2013 at 10:18:10 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Face
On the way home tonight, I passed a total of two cars. If you get off the main road, traffic is non existant. On some roads, should you ditch it, you wouldn't be found for a week.

Read the quoted portion again, then think carefully whether you'd think it's a good idea to drive drunk on that route.

I understand. I'm just more the type that doesn't care if people want to be stupid.

On roads that people share, especially in towns and cities but even on my lonely "2 car p/hr" road, no. You can't be putting others at risk. But if you want to chance heading down an old dirt road where the only possible casualties are you and maybe some bushes, I've no problem at all. I'm a big fan of freedom of choice, even if that allows stupidity. If you're only hurting yourself, it's good in my book.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 23rd, 2013 at 11:41:25 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
The solution from one farmer I was vaguely acquainted with was to drive his tractor across the fields to the pub, crossing the country lanes in a couple of places. Apparently there was a couple of times the tractor had taken out a corner of his fencing or gates. Also rumour had it, that one field was purchased by him particularly because it was adjacent to his favourite pub and he could climb over the wall to and from his transport...
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
Page 1 of 212>